The theft of Chang

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

lowlevelrebel
Kiddie Rider

The theft of Chang

Post by lowlevelrebel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm not sure why I've been obsessed with learning about Kentucky Kingdom lately but I am. I think maybe part of it is the whole way Premier/Six Flags ran it into the ground. Specifically it would seem that SF certainly knew they were not going to be expanding the water park at the time they chose go remove Chang and ship it to GrAm. I know there was a lawsuit about this but I can't seem to find out how it ended. Seems to me that SF pretty well got away with stealing a pretty cool ride. It also took a coaster type (standing) I'm not aware we have in the Midwest even to this day and moved it out east. You guys will probably rip me up with facts that I have out of whack here (and I'll deserve it) but I'm a fairly new enthusiast and my knowledge base isn't near where it needs to be yet. Any thoughts?

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Re: The theft of Chang

Post by Vonni » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:48 am

I have always thought the same thing about the water park expansion excuse. They also were able to make off with Road Runner Express. I don't really know details, but from what I heard, after that there was an injunction prohibiting SF corp from removing any more rides from the property.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Re: The theft of Chang

Post by bratman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 pm

One of the background issues is that the KK property was subdivided into *many* mini parcels, some of which belonged to Six Flags, and the rest belonged to the fair board. Six Flags asserted that they could take any ride that was on one of their parcels, which is why the mouse left. There was some contention as to who Chang belonged to, as I believe that the ride was on parcels owned by both parties.