Help Needed With A Video

Looking for something that isn't here? What would you like to see happening with this site?

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Help Needed With A Video

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri May 02, 2014 6:19 am

Hey everyone;

I'm wanting to get into doing video trip reports more often and I have been working on a little 10-15 second standard opener that I can use to of course let people know where the video came from and to promote the site. I sat down last night and played around with my editing software and here is a little video clip that I came up with.

First off what do you think?

My big issue is I was not shooting using a tripod (I didn't want to bring my big ass tripod into the park. I am looking into a smaller flexible one right now that would be easy to pack along to parks. Here is what I am looking to get.) so especially zooming in the video is not still. That can be fixed. I might trim the video so you don't have so long with no coaster on track as the movement of the coaster in frame at least distracts and covers up that flaw.

Where I have a hard time coming up with and REALLY need your help is what to do with the audio? The only ideas I have is to have maybe 10 seconds of music (public domain and royalty free of course as I am doing this site on a shoestring budget) and maybe a voice over (not mine - I hate my voice) of someone saying "Negative-G.com" or "Negative-G.com We ride until the parks kick us out" or a second option is to get a good recording of a coaster going by with screams and using that before going into a voice over? Still I know that we have some creative folks out there what would you do?

Also what other critiques or thoughts do you have on this?

Thanks

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Re: Help Needed With A Video

Post by Spencerman » Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 pm

I like the idea of having a coaster of that park rolling by. The voice with the slogan is cool.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 pm

Here is a shorter revised video with no audio.

As of now I'm thinking of having a "woosh" musically (going to play around with that tomorrow) then someone speaking the site name when the logo is on screen.

What do you all think?

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Mon May 05, 2014 5:33 am

I like the shorter one. If you end up going with the longer one, you can fix the moving camera shot before the train comes by simply freezing the image just before the train arrives and having that still image remain on the screen for however long you like. There weren't any clouds or other moving things in the shot, so nobody can tell if it's a freeze-frame or not.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Mon May 05, 2014 5:48 am

As for voice-overs, I usually hate them. Music? Usually just as bad. The problem is that trends and tastes change over time and unless you have one of those ultra-rare intros that seems timeless, it's going to sound more and more crappy as the years go on. Also, a very short musical segment isn't long enough to do anything... it's just a few notes at best and really, what's the point?

If I'm watching a bunch of videos from the same channel, the intro can either be a non-issue or it can keep me from watching more than one or two.

Case in point: I can watch CoasterForce videos all day. Their little intro is short, not very annoying, and kinda cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSN_ZBxf ... VbKjquAhW5

Coaster Crew, on the other hand... after the first one, I'm usually skipping the intro altogether. Seriously, I can't click that slider bar fast enough. I hate, hate, HATE their intro. The music is bad, the cheesy word art is bad, the scene transfers are too gimmicky, and that asshat doing the voice over at the end is just terrible. It even sounds like he was trying to sound like Alvey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4KMDU5z ... wg&index=2

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat May 10, 2014 9:17 pm

I am going to use the short video but I need to get some sort of a "whoosh" and then just "Negative-G.com" in a deep Barry White-ish voice. Anyone want to play around with making some audio?

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Sat May 24, 2014 9:20 pm

I think you should throw in during the voice over, Negative G , we ride till the parks kick us out!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue May 27, 2014 3:37 am

I'll play with it when I get home.