SFStL Boomerang media day TR

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

SFStL Boomerang media day TR

Post by Greg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Today I headed out to SFSL for the Boomerang media day and commercial shoot. It was a fun day and we explored the park a bit between Boomerang rides. Actually, I only rode twice. My first ride in the front was not fun. It left me with a major headache that lasted for two hours. This was new for me as I never experience headaches. About five hours later, I braved another ride in the last car and it was much better. No headache and I could have ridden again, but why? As expected, the experience is typical of all Boomerangs.

My good friend, Kevin, and his 10 year old daughter, Sydney, rode a bunch of times and Sydney liked the coaster. She did say after a while it was boring and it was rough like the Ninja. Smart girl.

They were filming all day for a commercial, but had some trouble getting those in attendance to reride. The hired models needed breaks and the ride is just not rerideable. As we all know. They recruited team members from first-aid to ride and other management were occasionally filling empty seats as well.

The Coaster Club of Great Britain was in the park today. It was nice to chat with some of those blokes who helped fill in empty seats on Boomerang. I asked a few of them if they had a chance to ride The Smiler and they were not amused, stating that it was a stupid, gimmicky ride.

I give props to SFSL for doing the best job possible with what they were given. The placement of the ride, station, and surroundings look great.

Also of note were the advertisements for electronic cigarettes in the entry plaza. I understand that advertising is important to SF’s bottom line, but cigarettes? Really Six Flags?

Thanks to Six Flags for a memorable day and the free season passes given to all ACE members in attendance. I can’t wait for the Travel Channel shoots this weekend.
Attachments
photo-5.jpg
photo-5.jpg (354.83 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
photo-6.jpg
photo-6.jpg (641.44 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
Greg

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: SFStL Boomerang media day TR

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Great Trip Report Greg. I'm kind of surprised about the electric cigarette ads in the park. Not very family friendly. What's next KY Jelly sponsoring a waterslide or Trojan condoms sponsoring a ride?

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Jack Daniels sponsoring the new food court. Mr. Six can be holding a bottle and pretending to be having a good time.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm

No Mr. Six needs V-ia-g-ra (stupid word censor) sponsoring him...although he may need medical attention if he has an erection that lasts more than 4 hours long. ;-)

Have Fun

Paul

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:15 am

The sad thing about the condoms and Lube, Paul, is that it is not that far fetched. There is a time and a place, and a theme park is not it! Also, I am a smoker, and I'm glad I can still smoke in designated areas of parks, but I dont feel that advertising for such is appropriate.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 am

Boomerang looks amazing, especially since it is a Boomerang. They normally look battered.

And about the advertising, I think it should only be in the smoker areas. Not everyone wants to see those, but some smokers are trying to quit, and this could possibly help them if they see this. It should definitely not be in the entry plaza. It makes the park look trashy.

TNT
Over 48"

Post by TNT » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07 am

All the smoking ads I have seen at the park are in or around the smoking areas.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:14 pm

That's good. It would be putting a "No Running" sign in front of a senior center, and not the pool.

TNT
Over 48"

Post by TNT » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Just rode Boomerang at employee ride night. I was impressed, it was smoother than Ninja. They only spot that was jerky was the second lift. Rode it about 6 times. My first Boomerang credit.

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Yikes, that's too bad about Boomerang! I guess none of us should be too surprised :( I've got a big bottle of ibuprofen in my glove box, if I know I'm going to be riding a shoulder bar coaster.

Meanwhile, in Europe:

I saw those E-cig adverts at Great America as well. It was surprising to see them (they were in or next to the smoking areas); at the same time, I think it's great that people are trying to quit.

It's not very family friendly, but from an objective POV, neither is smoking. SF wants to be family friendly, but if they can make money off something they don't seem to care. I've seen plenty of sexual innuendo shirts ("I'm huge in Japan," etc.) in Six Flags gift shops over the years. At least E-cigs are encouraging people to stop smoking the real thing.

I also saw a full bag of weed on Whizzer's exit walkway. Not that that means anything or can be connected to what we are talking to.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Billy those trains look sweet. Sadly SF would just rather slap some more paint on the coaster and call it new. I hope they have a 10-15 drop in attendance (which isn't a stretch with Outlaw Run down the road) so corporate can get a clue that just because it is a coaster won't bring people into their parks...it needs to be a GOOD coaster.

Have Fun

Paul

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm sad to see that anyone is wishing a drop in attendance to SF or any park. I spent three days at SFSL this week involved in media shoots, and they treated us so very well. I wish nothing but the best for Six Flags. Their ride manager asked what I thought of Boomerang and I honestly replied, " You did an amazing job with what you were given." Truly, they did, and the ride is almost fun if you sit in the back; not much discomfort at all. I'm not on the hate SF bandwagon at all!
Greg

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm

I know we could pass on it, but in general, people love those silly Boomerangs. They are a spectacle.

My wish is that SF would clue into how poor their service is, and at least "ask for help" or something. I could spend a few hours showing crews how to fill up trains and get them out on time (all while letting people pick their seats, NOT by assigning seats), and do a good job doing it. I have a funny feeling the parks doesn't care. If they turn a profit with the least amount of integrity and effort, then leave it alone I guess.

After talking to a manager at Mount Olympus (after she asked me how I liked Hades360 and the park in general), someone clued me into the hard facts that I could never even see. They DO NOT WANT to send out more trains in a day. One every 7 minutes or so is perfect. They don't want to run the ride any more. At first, it didn't even compute; it didn't make sense to me. I think I get it now. Disgusts me, but I finally get it.

TNT
Over 48"

Post by TNT » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 pm

I could spend a few hours showing crews how to fill up trains and get them out on time (all while letting people pick their seats, NOT by assigning seats), and do a good job doing it.

Filling a train is harder than you think, I work at Batman at SFSTL and noticed most people line up for the front leaving other rows empty causing the line to back up. Then you have people that don't want to ride with a single rider even if their group will fit on the train. The only way we can get a full train to leave the station in a timely manner is to have a grouper that assigns seats to people before they get to the train.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm

CoasterDemon wrote:
After talking to a manager at Mount Olympus (after she asked me how I liked Hades360 and the park in general), someone clued me into the hard facts that I could never even see. They DO NOT WANT to send out more trains in a day. One every 7 minutes or so is perfect. They don't want to run the ride any more. At first, it didn't even compute; it didn't make sense to me. I think I get it now. Disgusts me, but I finally get it.
So Mount O has a "budget" for each ride where they will only run it so many times a day (the 7 minute dispatch) in order to keep maintenance down? That's a great customer service strategy. Still not too surprising with what I have seen there.