Points for posting

Looking for something that isn't here? What would you like to see happening with this site?

Moderator: illinois

terrehautian
Ride Manager

Points for posting

Post by terrehautian » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:30 am

I am in another message board, and they give points for how long posts are. They give afk points, cool points and ninja points (don't ask). You could give raven points, legend points, and voyage points. I guess there are stores to where you can buy things like custom names and sub-titles.

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:57 am

The only problem I see with that is that the rsult might be useless posts and ramblings just to get points, which would mean more monitoring by Paul and Carrie. Other than that it would be a good way to increase the community aspect of this forum.
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:26 am

I have seen this before and I never quite got it. I mean are the things that one normally gets with their virtual bucks like a custom title that big of a deal? I know there are mods for our software that can do this but the thought of adding this feature has never really crossed my mind.

I do want to add some mods to the site (like the ability to attatch files and maybe a chat mod) but we need to figure out how to add them without trashing the whole site bringing it down.

Have Fun

Paul

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:40 am

I mean are the things that one normally gets with their virtual bucks like a custom title that big of a deal?
To me, no. But it does add a certain competitive atmosphere. I don't know if that would be right for this forum though. It kind of blurs its focus from good discussion to say something to get a prize. All in all I think it is a good attempt to add a competitive atmosphere, but lacks in its original intent, which is to promote discussion.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:56 am

To me it reminds me of the points that are given out to the contestants on the TV show "Whose Line Is It Anyway". Yeah they are given out but at the end of the show they don't mean anything.

Have Fun

Paul

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:10 am

That is a good way to look at it. But it sure does make Ryan feel better when he gets a million points!

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

You could use your points to buy stuff! Like if you got 1000 points you got a free season pass to Holiday World. And if you got 1,000,000 points - you get a custom Gravity Group Woodie in your back yard - courtesy Paul Drabek. :P

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:50 am

TheKlockster wrote:You could use your points to buy stuff! Like if you got 1000 points you got a free season pass to Holiday World. And if you got 1,000,000 points - you get a custom Gravity Group Woodie in your back yard - courtesy Paul Drabek. :P
That's no problem as I'm just rolling in the dough. ;-)

Have Fun

Paul

IndianaJoe
Senior Park Management
Custom Title: Just a Dude.

Post by IndianaJoe » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:00 pm

Maybe instead of a point system...the amount of posts you've given would determine which coaster you are (i.e. newbies start with a kiddie coaster of somekind....and those that have a thousand posts get coasters like Millenium force or The Voyage.)

Obviously there would be different levels
Posts 1-50 = The Howler
Posts 51-125 = Tiger's den
Posts 126 - 275 = ???
Posts 276 - 450 = ???
So on and so forth

Just a suggestion... And I understand that doing this may make people post nonsensical items just so they could become Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka. But I think it's always nice to see just how active and dedicated some posters are.
Wile E. Coyote...Suuuuper Genius!

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Re: Points for posting

Post by DresdenOberst » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:30 pm

terrehautian wrote:I am in another message board, and they give points for how long posts are.
Does this mean all my long stories about the adventures of a coaster maniac will give me some massive points? :? Oh Boy!!!!!!!! Are all ya'll sure you want to encourage the ramblings of my adventures???:shock:

I have been acused of being a little prolific when it comes to writing. This would encourage me to become master of the universe. I can't wait, Will I be Millenium Force, Superman (ROS), or just Taxi Jam?:roll:

Please respond as now you have my daydreams flowing. Just wait, Dresden Burns Soon. :P :P :P :P
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:48 pm

IndianaJoe wrote:Maybe instead of a point system...the amount of posts you've given would determine which coaster you are (i.e. newbies start with a kiddie coaster of somekind....and those that have a thousand posts get coasters like Millenium force or The Voyage.)

Obviously there would be different levels
Posts 1-50 = The Howler
Posts 51-125 = Tiger's den
Posts 126 - 275 = ???
Posts 276 - 450 = ???
So on and so forth

Just a suggestion... And I understand that doing this may make people post nonsensical items just so they could become Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka. But I think it's always nice to see just how active and dedicated some posters are.
Actually Joe we currently have a system like that. New posters are Kiddie Riders. Then you hit the 36 inch rides. Then 48 and then the super duper 52 inch level all depending on the number of posts you make. I can always add levels or change what they are.

Have Fun

Paul