Updating the -G Forums

Information about the site, updates, news from Negative-G, etc.

Moderator: illinois

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Re: Updating the -G Forums

Post by violakat03 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm going to second what kidcoaster said. So far I'm liking everything except the G. It's very distracting and incredibly hard to read over. I prefer the text areas to be free of images or logos so that the words are against a solid colored background.

I haven't tried out the new layout on my phone yet but I'm hoping it works, as compared to the old layout which would not load on my phone at all. Not being able to access the boards from my phone is one of the biggest reasons I haven't been posting much lately, as I spend far more time browsing on my phone than my computer.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey all;

Ok, I'm doing a few little tweaks to the design here and there. I tried to do a bunch of them last night and everything went to crap so it's going to be one deliberate step a time.

I'll mess with the background and see about toning it down some but I kind of like it there. Hey it could be a whole lot worse with a clown like font and yellow, red and blue text all over the place (as well as ads). :lol:

Hey Kat (and anyone else with a smartphone) I'll have the forum set up so that you can access it via the Forum Runner software for Android and IPhones. With the free version you can post and read and the paid one lets you upload photos which is pretty fun when you're at a park. I'll have that modification installed by this weekend.

I'll keep plugging at it.

Oh a reminder Wednesday night chat is of course tomorrow night at 8 central so see you all there.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

DaveStroem
Kiddie Rider

Post by DaveStroem » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:44 pm

LOL, Everybody knows that Kat is a Blackberry fan. :)

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Continuing with the smart phone topic, I have no problem with accessing the forums or posting (like now) from my android. Only problem is that some of the dark blues fonts like usernames are even harder to read.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 pm

kidcoaster wrote:Continuing with the smart phone topic, I have no problem with accessing the forums or posting (like now) from my android. Only problem is that some of the dark blues fonts like usernames are even harder to read.
I'm going to work on the text colors later this week. My color person (Carrie) is waylaid with the abscess from hell and is in too much pain to give me tons of consultation time.

Have Fun

Paul

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Forum Runner is now able to access the forum so if you're one of those who use it you're now good.

Here's where you can get the IOS App.

Here's where you can get the Android App.

The basic app is free and with the paid app you can do a little more like post photos.

Have Fun

Paul

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Hey everyone;

Thankfully this weekend I have some free time so I'm jumping back into updating the forum. I just added a mod that makes it so you can share a thread you like on social networking services like Twitter, Facebook, Friend Feed, Digg, Technorati and Myspace. So if you see a thread you'd like to share click on the icon for whatever service you want and it'll make it so you can comment on the link and share it.

I'm hoping to bring back the gallery this weekend and do a few visual tweaks to the forum layout. I'll post here when I get something done.

Have Fun

Paul

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:31 pm

rotag wrote:only place i can find "view new posts" is on the board index. maybe im missing it, but that is now one extra step to take.
Hey Rotag there is now a "View New Posts" link as well as a link to the main Negative-G page on each of the pages here on the forum. So that's all fixed.

Hey what about adding the dropdown menu that's on the main Negative-G homepage here at the -G Forums? Would that be something good or overkill?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 am

I sat down and worked through the massive gallery installation and it's there but it's not running as of right now. The page works but the photos that I uploaded are not showing up. I have a request into the maker of the mod so I'll let you all know when it's up and good to go for you to post photos.

Have Fun

Paul

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Anytime I click the a letter in the member list to search for someone it sends me to an add site. Anyone else having that problem?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:33 am

Ken...that's one of the bugs I hope to have worked out sometimes soon. Actually what I need to do is to take the forum down and reinstall everything fresh. The hard time is getting the time to do that.

Have Fun

Paul

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Updating the -G Forums

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 am

I'm doing some work on the forums today. I just installed a new version of The software and as you can see when looking at the search box the strange characters are gone. That was a problem that kept the gallery from working (I'll reinstall that some other time as it takes hours to set up).

If this posts it'll mean that the Tapatalk forum software so that one can connect to the forum with ios/android/blackberry/chrome mobile devices is working. Now to get chat back up for tomorrow night.

Have Fun

Paul

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Updating the -G Forums

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:48 am

Chat is back up and running.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Ok...I see a few problems in the user control panel and the PM system (I think it has to do with the Gallery Mod that the style has installed but not the forum) that I hope to get fixed or send feelers out about to find out how to fix.

Also I noticed that some of your avatars are not working and some of the users signature images/links are messed up. If this is you please see if you can change your avatar/signature image and let me know if it works.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Hey everyone;

As you can see the layout of the forum has changed. This is for a few reasons.

First I had to reinstall the entire forum software in order to fix the problems with the user control panel, PM system, the problems browsing through the memberlist and a few other things.

I know folks had a few things they didn't like about the old style and I really wasn't sure if I could fix those so I went looking for something that would be more likable. The big thing about the other style that annoyed me was that it did not scale width wise so if someone uploaded a image it had to be under 600 pixels wide. With this format we can go wider...just not too wide everyone. Since I had to reinstall all the mods it was just as easy to install a new style.

So here we are. A working forum and a new layout. I plan on making the font bigger as one of the complaints was that the old layout was hard to read. I should be able to get that done tomorrow along with a few other tweaks that I want to do like making a better header and stuff like that.

So let me know what you think and now I'm going to get going with installing the chat, video, link to new posts and a few other tweaks and mods.

Have Fun

Paul