On-Ride Photos and Their Consequences

Information about the site, updates, news from Negative-G, etc.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:36 am

Voyage_luvr wrote: And doesn't Holiday World allow POV footage during Holliwood Nights? I would never attempt taking POV at Holiday World during normal visits, but it would be cool if I did go to HWNights and got some.
HW USED TO allow cameras on rides during events but after the Felner death that came to an end. Now there are no cameras on any rides at any time other than the few rides that allow it.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Re: On-Ride Photos and Their Consequences

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Old topic, I know. But since I'm new here and trying to get used to the board, I stumbled upon it and gave the whole thing a read.

This is a subject that was once very wish-washy, but parks have really kracked down on it in the past few years. I have plenty of old coaster pics on ride from the 80s through probably about 2005. Many ride ops would say "sure! Just don't drop it!" and stuff like that. Truth is, there have been official park rules against it since probably the 80s. So in a way, I'm guilty.

I took a video of me and my aunt (who had a great time, but really freaked out too!) on the Scorpion at Busch Gardens Tampa in 2007. I have it up on youtube and a few years ago, I posted it to *another* forum to share a cool and comedic moment. The *owner* of that site promptly removed it and then he 'cut and pasted' the parks on-ride photo rules as a reply. Then, he gave a link to his own video of Scorpion. Mind you, when I posted my video, I also said that I had permission (from a ride op, I know better now). Strange...

Which ever way it goes, I just don't take my camera on rides anymore. So many (unfortunately, illegal) ride videos are all over youtube anyway. There was a time when it was perfectly fine to take your cam on a ride. At ACE events, many peeps would have all their fancy cameras all over the place, including those old HUGE clunky video recorders. Times are a bit different now, everyone wants to do it.

The first time I ever heard of any sort of rule against it, was in 1989 at Kings Island. I went for the "ACE walkback" to the Beast (they don't do that anymore) and had my camera ready to go. I enjoyed a whole train to myself! Going up the 2nd lift, the train stopped and a ride op came on the speakers and sternly said "put the camera away!" Doh! Scared the crap outta me. So I promptly put the camera into my backpack. Yes, I said backpack. It was different time... (On a side note, Beast was still a pretty fast ride back then!)

PS - maybe I'm hypocritical or something... but I really get mad when I now see on ride videos - especially from something like Voyage. I'm not saying I'm better - but I am very intent on following all rules now. I haven't done it in years, and the rules are VERY CLEAR now. I mean, if you hide a camera, then pull it out on the lift (I have seen that quite a few times) then you know you are breaking rules. Not to mention there have been so many cases of people being hurt by cams. The new problem is all the great technology we have now (smart phones, etc.) that gets abused.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm not going to be a fascist about on ride photos. I know 99% of the parks out there have a strict no on ride photos policy so I don't want people going out there taking those pics or videos and posting them here. Now if it's a park where they don't care, for example Adventureland where I was told that I had to take my camera on the ride and that it was ok to take photos with it then I won't get all bent out of shape about it.

While I love watching coaster POV's out there I am certain that about 99% of them are being taken without the parks permission (it's always amusing to see the camera duck down into the car where the on ride camera is) and with more than a bit of subterfuge (one of the recent Swarm videos has the cameraman zipping up his coat over the chest mounted camera, probably a Go Pro HD Hero like I have as the train hits the brake run).

In the end I just don't want to encourage people to go out there break park rules and endanger themselves and others all for a photo or video clip so that's why this is here. Yeah we did it in the past but that was then and for each of us at some point we decided it wasn't good. So no I'm not going to crack down on people for past transgressions so if you posted your video here for example just explain it was a long time ago and I'm cool with its posting.

Have Fun

Paul

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Sounds good Paul. Great explanation, too! Thanks :mrgreen:

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Pandapp wrote:My thought is that if it is the posted policy of an amusement park such as PKI that's the way it is even if the ride operators do not enforce the rules. Just because a rule isn't enforced doesn't negate the fact that it is a rule.
Exactly.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:03 am

I found that (other than Six Flags) in Mexico, many of the parks were completely OK with riders pulling out of the station, phone in hand, taking selfies and whatnot.
They were also fine with doing POV, although that didn't seem to be on anyone's mind... nor was taking pics of the ride. Taking pics of yourself or your friends while on the ride, though, was common.

It might be a cultural thing (not taking pics of the ride or shooting POVs) - I noticed that (again, other than Six Flags) it was nearly impossible to find a t-shirt with the name or logo of a ride on it. Even SF had a very, very small selection of ride-related shirts, but at least they had SOME. Most parks didn't have any.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Today, when I was showing some of my friends a professional POV of Outlaw Run, they asked me if I taped it myself. I said no, and they said it would have been "sketchy" if I did. This isn't exactly related, but it's a side note.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:47 am

The on-ride souvenir photo staff on Outlaw Run scan each train for folks with their cameras out.
I've seen them hand a printout of a front-seat rider to a security person who confronted the rider with it as he was coming down the exit ramp.

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by tribar » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:21 pm

CptBeeble wrote:The on-ride souvenir photo staff on Outlaw Run scan each train for folks with their cameras out.
I've seen them hand a printout of a front-seat rider to a security person who confronted the rider with it as he was coming down the exit ramp.
Good to hear them do that. More parks should consider doing this. The GP is too incompetent to realize that if you lose control of your phone or camera that it can become a deadly projectile that can injure or even kill another rider.