On-Ride Photos and Their Consequences

Information about the site, updates, news from Negative-G, etc.

Moderator: illinois

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

Post by PKIDelirium » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 pm

Cedar Point bans photos from their skyride and Giant Wheel.

Kind of stupid if you ask me, but whatever.

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:12 am

According to what I heard this past weekend, you cannot take pictures from ANYTHING at Cedar Point now. Last year you could take pictures from the Train and the Paddlewheel Cruise. While waiting to leave the station the announcer came on and said that "photography is prohibited on this and ALL rides at Cedar Point, we don't want you to drop your camera off the side of the train!"

Tom

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:01 am

Even Space Spiral?

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:25 am

I honestly have no idea, we did not ride Space Spiral last Saturday. I went to Cedar Points web site and searched and could find absolutely no reference to their photography policy anywhere.

Tom

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

Post by PKIDelirium » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:22 am

According to PointBuzz, photography is allowed on Space Spiral, Train, and Paddlewheel.

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:42 am

Yeah, I know what Pointbuzz said, and that was definitely true last year, but the announcer for the train this year said "NO PHOTOGRAPHY on the train, we don't want you to drop the camera off the side while riding." So maybe something has changed, I have no idea.

Tom

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

Post by PKIDelirium » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:56 am

That's bizarre. Pointbuzz all year has been posting Maverick construction photos from the train, and confirmed several times through the season that it was one of the "Approved" rides, the others being Space Spiral and Paddlewheel.

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:18 pm

I got to meet a Paddlewheel ride operator when I was up there in July - really cool guy - and he said that people never ride his ride just for fun - they just do it to get pictures of Millennium Force. :lol: Next time I go up - I am going to ride it just for fun. He also loves Vortex and Top Gun at Kings Island. :D

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:35 pm

Ok, here we go, straight from Walt over at Pointbuzz:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/r ... ticles.cfm

"For safety reasons, taking pictures, videotaping and filming on rides are prohibited. Picture taking is permitted on the C.P. & L.E. Railroad, Paddlewheel Excursions and Space Spiral"

I'm not aware of any change in policy. Could have been a misinformed ride op.

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:23 pm

At Kings Island we would do the same thing - even though photography is allowed on the Tower and the Train. Here is the spiel I would usually do.

"Ladies and gentlemen on Vortex - as a reminder the use of any electronic item is strictly prohibited on all rides at Paramount's Kings Island. This includes but is not limited to CAMERAS, VIDEO CAMERAS, CELL PHONES, iPods, video game systems and GPS locators. If you are currently using one of these items please secure it at this time."

So we would always say all rides - even though it's allowed on Tower and Train. It's easier - since most guests seem to check their brain at the front gate upon entering the park.

OCD Posterchild
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OCD Posterchild » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:48 pm

bradhig wrote:I don't think they will care if you take pictures from a skyride or a steam train.
Do not take them on any ride at CP, I know for a fact that there are only 3 rides you can take pictures from,
Paddlewheel Excursions,
CP & LE Railroad
and Space Spiral...
Not Sky Ride. do not take pictures from sky ride, there is a sign that prohibits cameras from being used.
Image-Brian

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:13 am

Last time I went to Lake Winnie they allowed onride photography on the cannonball. I hope you do not consider me a criminal as I will admit to once having an on ride video that I shot. I have since destroyed this tape as I had let my son use the camera and he had effectively ruined the tape with his frequent shots of all the young lass's that was not apropriate in a family vacation tape.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 am

DresdenOberst wrote:Last time I went to Lake Winnie they allowed onride photography on the cannonball. I hope you do not consider me a criminal as I will admit to once having an on ride video that I shot. I have since destroyed this tape as I had let my son use the camera and he had effectively ruined the tape with his frequent shots of all the young lass's that was not apropriate in a family vacation tape.
Nope I do not consider you as criminal since I know that LW is one of the few parks that allows on ride photography.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:54 am

I don't bring my camera up on the coaster if the operators mention that I'm allowed to take pictures since I don't want to get banned from the park as the one of criminal. Sneaking cams without permission are the worst things inside the park, except giving some permissions for an on-ride photo. :?

Voyage_luvr
Over 48"

Post by Voyage_luvr » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:00 am

Does Six Flags have a rule about this? I would love to get some POV on the new Tony Hawk coaster. I have seen alot of POV footage at SFSL on YouTube so I was just wondering.

And doesn't Holiday World allow POV footage during Holliwood Nights? I would never attempt taking POV at Holiday World during normal visits, but it would be cool if I did go to HWNights and got some.