On-Ride Photos and Their Consequences

Information about the site, updates, news from Negative-G, etc.

Moderator: illinois

Mental Rose
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

On-Ride Photos and Their Consequences

Post by Mental Rose » Mon May 08, 2006 7:32 pm

Okay. I know that I don't actually need to say this to anyone currently reading this forum, but I am going to put this here for posterity because I think it's important.

This evening, Paul and I learned that a gentleman on another forum (both gentleman and forum to remain nameless, please no speculating!) has been banned from Holiday World for taking on-ride video footage on the Voyage. Holiday World, like most parks these days, does NOT allow this and so I feel certain that their actions were entirely appropriate. The fact that the banned person in question is still posting on his particular forum leads me, however, to make the following announcement:

Should anyone currently using this forum pull a stunt like that and I find out about it, I will ban you so fast your head will spin right off your neck. I know that is less than diplomatic, but this is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - both in terms of park safety and of the good reputation and environment of this forum. Paul and I support having as much fun as humanly possible at a park, within the bounds of that park's rules and I'm just not willing to have any of my guys (or gals - I'm not the only female in here anymore, how great is that?) think that we would encourage them to irresponsible behavior.

Again, I feel sure that no one currently using this site actually needs this warning. So, don't prove me wrong, okay?

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Tue May 09, 2006 11:16 am

So are you talking about Holiday World POV photos - or all parks? I would never do on ride photography ... at Holiday World... I know they make it very clear they do not permit it.

OCD Posterchild
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OCD Posterchild » Tue May 09, 2006 4:00 pm

Klocke, She means any kind of POV shots, they can potentially get you into trouble, if you have it, keep it to yourself... I have heard of 4 people banned from parks due to POV footage and shots...

On Ride Photos I'm sure thats ok, since you had to buy it and its a professional set up, meaning that the system is very safe, your camera is not tested.
POV shots are out
Image-Brian

Mental Rose
Park Chain CEO

Post by Mental Rose » Tue May 09, 2006 4:09 pm

What I mean is that if a park doesn't allow it, don't do it and don't let me find out about it. Paul tells me that there are some parks that allow onride photography, and while personally I don't feel like that's a safe thing to do, I don't feel like I can come down on anyone for doing something that's not against park rules. What I am very seriously thinking about doing sometime soon is sending e-mails to parks and asking them, "Does park policy allow onride photography?" and then posting it here, just so people know. That might take some time, of course. ;-)

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Tue May 09, 2006 5:01 pm

Some larger parks may say they have a rule about it, but the ride op's might not care. I had a similar expierence while getting on the skyride at Busch Gardens Europe. Me and 3 friends got on the skyride, no problem, thinking that maybe we might be to heavy. We asked the ride op and he said oh, your fine. Then at the next station, we got on again, and he said we couldn't all four get on, so we told him we got on all four before, so he let us. Then, at the third station, the ride op there said we couldn't all get on, so we told him we were together before, and he still said we couldn't. It's not really the same thing,but it gets the point across. Some ride op's might allow camera's some might not. If you show them you have a tightening arm strap or lanyard, then if the park has no strict rule about it, they shouldn't care. Almost every coaster says that no loose articles are allowed, but it all just depends. In this case though, I've never even been to Holiday World and I know they don't allow camera's, that guy is just a moron.
greetz
Hepta

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Tue May 09, 2006 5:27 pm

Yeah exactly. Some parks don't care at all. And other parks - they might have a POV policy but it might not be enforced. You can ask at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and some will say yes and some will say no.

I think PKI has a no-pov policy - but I actually never once heard in any training session that they are not allowed to use cameras. Like I said I believe it is against park rules - but most of the time when employees stop rides and take cameras - its just cause SOME acers and enthusiasts are really annoying - so when we see a camera were like - OMG ACER - go take the camera!

But like I said I was never told by any supervisor or higher up that photography is prohibited...

And Strickers Grove - like I said - they don't care. You can do it right in front of them. But if you really analyze the fine print of ORC 1711.551 - it is against state law in Ohio...

I would suggest just not posting POV that way there is no argument about it. But you do have to realize that sometimes you can do a POV "legally" cause you actually ask the ride op and the op says - sure go ahead. Posting that and then finding out that it is against park rules and getting banned from the site kind of sucks. So it is probably better to just not post it. That said - I do have a Vortex POV photo that I sometimes use as an avatar... Right now I have my Top Thrill Dragster awesomeness up - but the Vortex POV is my main avatar I use for everything...

And for the record - Don copied off me... :lol:

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue May 09, 2006 8:27 pm

My thought is that if it is the posted policy of an amusement park such as PKI that's the way it is even if the ride operators do not enforce the rules. Just because a rule isn't enforced doesn't negate the fact that it is a rule.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

KevinCLovesU
Over 52"

Post by KevinCLovesU » Tue May 09, 2006 9:12 pm

Heh. No desire to risk my camera. I've got the video on the holiday world page anyway.

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Wed May 10, 2006 10:58 am

Where is it posted at PKI though? I know the park inside and out. You would have to go to guest relations and ask them if it is permitted - or email the park. Some rides such as Tomb Raider have signs that say "No Loose Articles".

I have a POV of Troika on my site. There is a funny story behind it. :lol: I told my manager I was going to do it - and he told me I couldn't do it on the clock. :roll:

Like I said up there though - POV is technically illegal anywhere in Ohio - as is putting your hands up. Ohio law prohibits putting your hands up on coasters. If you notice any of Cedar Point's press release photos - they all are hands down. Not RCDB though - cause thats just enthusiast driven. I mean official pics.

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Wed May 10, 2006 3:59 pm

My general rule would just be ask.
greetz
Hepta

Mental Rose
Park Chain CEO

Post by Mental Rose » Wed May 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Yes, but as others have said, ride ops often do not know or do not care (depending on the park) whether onride photos are allowed. If you are going to "just ask", then please call the park and ask guest relations or the appropriate whoever it is. Don't wait until you get to the park and ask the ride ops - you cannot count on the correct answer from that source all the time.

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Yeah we do not want to hear of a final Destonation 3 moment. Hide the camera when you leave the station take it out and film then drop it train derails tracks break everyone dies.

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:08 am

I do hope you understand that the chances of a camera causing a coaster train to derail is slim to none. It is more likely that the train (or passengers in the train) would hit it, shattering it in a million bazillion pieces. If it would happen to hit any of the passengers, then it could cause significant damage.
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

bradhig
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by bradhig » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:02 pm

I don't think they will care if you take pictures from a skyride or a steam train.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:51 pm

bradhig wrote:I don't think they will care if you take pictures from a skyride or a steam train.
I have no issues with photos from a sky ride or train as I have yet to see a park (other than Geauga who wouldn't let me take photos from the monorail) ban photos from ruch rides. Heck you can take photos on the Freedom Train & Lewis & Clark Trail at HW.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!