THUNDERHEAD

Here's a place where you can talk about No Limits, ask for help as well as post your creations so everyone can take them for a ride.

Moderator: illinois

Trackwalker
Over 36"

THUNDERHEAD

Post by Trackwalker » Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 pm

This is Thunderhead at Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. It opened in 2004. It's a Great Coasters International (GCI) coaster designed by Mike Boodley.

You may have seen my earlier versions of this coaster on another site but this is my latest model and very much improved over the others.

I redesigned the first turnaround giving it a little pop of air time as it slams into the turn. I made the track exactly like Thunderhead the way the track bends over going into the turn.

Coming out of the station fly through, I redid that hill making a straight section of track as it turns left. The reason GCI made that straight section of track is because the track passes over the one below and they wanted the structure straight as possible so they could put iron beams in a straight line over the track. I tried to make the track as straight as possible.

Well, that's about it. Hope you enjoy riding Thunderhead.
Attachments
Thunderhead.zip
(223.91 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Re: THUNDERHEAD

Post by violakat03 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:08 pm

I think this is the most impressive recreation I've ever "ridden." Going by my memories of Thunderhead (which are pretty good since I've ridden it so much), you've pretty much nailed it. Right down to the way it comes in to the brakes in the end, the transfer track and the station. Good job, Al!
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

rotag
Over 52"
Custom Title: backseat airtime junkie

Post by rotag » Fri May 13, 2011 11:06 am

that was an awesome recreation. thanks for taking the time to do this. just wish i had the patients & know-how to do this stuff myself. would love to see The Raven get recreated.
LeTs Go RiDe ThE mErRy-Go-SqUaRe!
friend me in the book of faces: http://www.facebook.com/rotags
mytube is youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/rotag1299?feature=mhee

Trackwalker
Over 36"

Post by Trackwalker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:34 am

If I had the time and the real, actual statisics of some of the new wood coasters, I believe I could do a pretty good job of recreating them. Probably my most accurate recreation is the Screechin' Eagle at Americana also known by other names like the Space Rocket or originally known as Cyclone at LeSourdsville Lake Amusement Park, near Middletown, Ohio on State Route 4. I worked on that coaster for about 10 years and know it very well. The lift hill is exactly 70 feet high from the ground to the top of the track, NOT THE LAST WARNING SIGN. Each hill after the lift is approximately 6 feet lower. Unlike Thunderhead, I did the Screechin' Eagle without the help of a satelite view of the track and I think it came out fairly well. I even placed the Great Miami River next to the coaster and the little Gregory Creek alongside the lift hill. I also put State Route 4 out in front of the Park to make it look more realistic. All the structure you see in the simulation was custom made to look exactly like the way the Screechin' Eagle looked. On close examination, you'll notice the pattern of the wood structure is much different than the auto-generated NL structure. Also you'll notice a custome built station that looks exactly like the roller coaster looked when it was called "SPACE ROCKET" and I even included the three hand brakes that stopped the coaster and the stool we sat on when we operated the ride. The first brake was called the SET BRAKE which just slowed the train down so we could stop it on the SECOND BRAKE which was inside the station. We stopped the train with the SECOND BRAKE using our right hand and that's the brake stick nearest the track in the station. The brake stick next to it on the left lets the train out of the station. The SET BRAKE is the stick on the far left of the other two. When the train had more people on it, we had to pull back or tighten the SET BRAKE more. Not because the train was going any faster with a heavier load but because the train had more momentum with a heavier load. The train traveled the same speed when it was empty as it did with a full load. I know you'll find that hard to believe but it's true. Weight does not determine the amount of speed a coaster attains. It's the length of the fall that determines the speed. The law of acceleration is 32 feet per second, per second. Of course, friction has to be taken into account and different coasters have different friction which can alter the speed from one to another but all falling bodies follow the LAW OF GRAVITY or ACCELERATION. I timed the train on the LeSourdsville coaster and it made the trip in the same amount of time whether the train was fully loaded or empty. Didn't make any difference about the weight of the train. Just thought you all would like to know that. Hope you enjoy the ride on the old Screechin' Eagle or Space Rocket, which ever name you like.