no limits designer sucks

Here's a place where you can talk about No Limits, ask for help as well as post your creations so everyone can take them for a ride.

Moderator: illinois

bradhig
Wood Coaster Rider

no limits designer sucks

Post by bradhig » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm

I can't design a decent ride just a piece of $#%#% because there is no scale ride is always too small in size
when new vertex is added after last it looks good from top view but in side view the new vertex sometimes isn't at the height I want.
no way to make decent turns even with banking I always get red spots.

How are you people making rides without the problems how did you learn to make them? I can't get anywhere this is the third or fourth hyper I tried to make and it sucks.

The ride name has to do with the winter olympics it was named after something or someone with them. The ride was going to be bigger but because the designer sucks and they didn't provide a tutorial on how to make a real coaster and not a lame circle thing I can't figure out how to make one properly.
Attachments
bbgx5.rar
messed up ride
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

EagleMan76
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: SFSTL Rides Lead

Re: no limits designer sucks

Post by EagleMan76 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:09 pm

No Limits uses a completely different designer, more advanced than any other on the open market. This CAD-like designer requires exceptional patience and tweaking to make each element. The top view is only one of five views in the program. In this program you need to utilize every angle, including the 3D view. It can literally take hours to perfect a single element if you're handbuilding it (I use this method). Handbuilding is the method where you manually place each and every vertex. Try placing 4 or 5 vertices from top view in the general shape you want. Don't worry about it being perfect as you will fix it soon. Once you have the vertices placed, smooth them out a little by selecting all of the track between each vertex you just placed and do a [CTRL]+[G] to quick-smooth the vertices. This simply aligns each vertex to the line of best fit across the sections of track. The next part is to go into side/front view and drag each vertex to the height you desire (easy way to make sure you have the right vertex is to select it in top view then leave it selected when you switch). Once in side view hit the [Page Down] or [Page Up] key and you will see your selected vertex moving vertically. Use the grid overlay to judge the height of each vertex. (The grid can be set in the designer preferences). Every so often you can select track and quick-smooth it. Use the 3D view to make sure everything looks right and also use the 3D view to move pieces around. Keep doing this until you have the general layout of your ride. Keep in mind that it will be nowhere near perfect yet. This can usually be done in a couple days to a week. Now the real work starts. First thing you want to do is run the simulator and take a couple laps around the track. Please note it will be horrid. Make notes of where red G's are, where banking needs to be done, where it valleys, where it looks misshapen, etc.

(Continued below)
ImageImage

EagleMan76
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: SFSTL Rides Lead

Post by EagleMan76 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:27 pm

Once you make quick notes of where the most pressing matters are, return the the editor. Start from the beginning of the track right after the lift and work your way along section by section. Focus on continuity first (i.e. smooth out the biggest jags in the track enough so the wheels don't break off). This is so you can get a decent measurement on your vertical and lateral G's. An easy way to smooth out sections is to delete excessive vertices (less changes in direction). Delete enough of them so the track is smooth but not so many that the track deforms. If you delete too many just Undo. Do this for the whole running track. Next do some quick banking. Double-click a vertex where banking is required and make sure you are in 3D view with the whole curve in your view so you can watch the result of your banking tweaks. Remember when you apply banking to a vertex that point becomes the middle of the banking setting and the track between it and the next vertex will gradually shift from the banking on the first vertex to the banking on the second vertex. This means if there are several vertices in a curve each one will need to be banked, with the one in the core of the curve to the highest degree in most cases. Repeat this for the rest of the track.
It's all a matter of trial and error when hand-building. You have to ride, tweak, and ride again until you like it. The whole process can easily take over a month or several to do, depending on how perfect you want your ride. Hopefully this helps you out, and best of luck!

You can also search for tools like Newton, Elementary, AHG, etc. Just type them into google. These tools will help you form your track one element at a time, and each come with their own tutorials.
ImageImage

bradhig
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by bradhig » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:56 pm

I tore up most of it. Scaling is different in the editor the track seems spaced far apart but it ends up passing through the station and through pieces of itself.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:05 am

bradhig wrote:I tore up most of it. Scaling is different in the editor the track seems spaced far apart but it ends up passing through the station and through pieces of itself.
You can turn off the station building: double click the station track and it's a tick-box in the settings window. You'll then have to build your own station supports, though. Clearance is simply something you'll have to learn. The best way to check is to highlight the track piece you want to check, tick 'tunnel' and do the same for the other piece. Go into the simulator, press 'Q' to get out of the ride and then fly around to the tunnels. Check if they are clear of each other, then press 'E' to re-enter the ride, and when the train enters the tunnels, check there is nothing coming through the sides. If the tunnels don't cross into each other, you'll know the ride is safe and the peeps won't break their arms. :D

bradhig
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by bradhig » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 pm

I scrapped most of that design by deleted vertexes and started a new one.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:31 am

bradhig wrote:I scrapped most of that design by deleted vertexes and started a new one.
Yes, but the 'tunnel test' is ALWAYS worth doing. The more often you do it, the more familiar you will become with the distances required for clearance, which will make building your coasters easier. Just because you tore up your old design doesn't make the tunnel test invalid in future.