No Limits 2 (NL2)

Here's a place where you can talk about No Limits, ask for help as well as post your creations so everyone can take them for a ride.

Moderator: illinois

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Re: No Limits 2 (NL2)

Post by Spencerman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Oh golly. I sure hope NL2 will run on my computers. The first one runs well with high FPS, but I am not so sure about this game.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:36 pm

LAST FEW DAYS TO GET NOLIMITS 1 FOR PC AND MAC! MUST END THURSDAY 9 JAN 2013! :lol:

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Wow, really? I never thought they would discontinue it! I am so glad to have the original. I love it so much, and it has taken me a long way.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 pm

My new iMac arrived today. Haven't unboxed it yet. Went down to Kemah for a couple of Bullet rides (HOLY CRAP it was FLYING!!!) and dinner. Sometime this weekend I'll get it up and running and figure out how to install Windoze on it (something I said I'd never ever do). I think NL2 will be worth it, though.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm

While we're all waiting for NL2 to drop, have a listen to this podcast about No Limits history and behind-the-scenes on NL2. Fascinating.
http://player.fm/series/the-season-pass ... liff-91313

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:25 am

Spencerman wrote:Wow, really? I never thought they would discontinue it! I am so glad to have the original. I love it so much, and it has taken me a long way.
I was being silly, but they did say in an update from some months (maybe a year) ago that they were considering discontinuing it, but they weren't sure since the Mac release was going to be later than the Windows one.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:36 am

I have a feeling that they might go the route of leaving it out there for sale in case someone still wants it, but no longer providing updates and support for it.
One nice thing (are you listening, Sony and Microsoft?) is that 100% of your old tracks and stuff is supposed to be able to work in the new version, so you can migrate to NL2 without having to trash all the work you did in NL1.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Yeah, I remember hearing about the transfer thing. Also, PLEASE let me chill at your place until the end of the off-season!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:44 pm

That was a great podcast. I ended up emailing him because one of the he features I have wanted for years is a Schwarzkopf Jet Star/Speedracer Train.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388875246.441564.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388875246.441564.jpg (133 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
It would be sweet to be able to build some wicked portables in the vein of a Jet Star and some larger permanent rides like The Whizzer or Big Bend.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388875373.433101.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388875373.433101.jpg (156.68 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
Maybe someday we will get this in No limits 2.x.

Oh it makes sense for them to keep selling No Limits 1 without any further support because there are customers out there whose computers can not handle NL2. So NL1 will be able to take care of those people.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:02 pm

I don't doubt they'll keep selling NL1, I just don't see them doing many more updates, if any.

I got Win8.1 installed on my new Mac via Parallels, so it's running through a virtual machine. If NL2 won't run well in that environment, I'll go to Boot Camp and install it natively.

Considering the hardware in this thing vs what they suggested on the website, I should be fine as long as I don't try to run 15 woodies all at once.

Trackwalker
Over 36"

Post by Trackwalker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Did you notice in the NL2 picture of the wooden coaster above?

Here's what's new:

Real track ledgers.
Notice the bolts and nuts on the side of the track. They hold the side friction steel to the upper two layers of track wood.
Also, something you probably didn't notice is if you examine the side friction steel, you can see where the two strips of steel come together, just like the real wood coasters.
The walkboard doesn't wrap around the 4x6 bent posts like it did in NL1. Another more realistic item.
Real 2x6's on the side of the structure now just like a real wood coaster.
OH, and did you see the 3x4 diagonal supports within the structure holding the bents apart? Yep. They are there. No need to add them like in NL1.
Eight, that's 8, layers of wood in the track. I can't remember how many there were in NL1. Probably the same. But 8 is about average. The Beast at Kings Island has 9 layers of wood in its track. I think Mean Streak at Cedar Point has 11 or 12. The 70 foot high Screechin' Eagle at LeSourdsville Lake Amusement Park, Ohio, had 8 layers of wood in the track.
There is now a wire safety cable through the 4x6 bent posts just below the handrail. That's new also.
This is going to be a really realistic wooden model of a roller coaster.
I wonder if there is a tool so we can repaint the total length of the handrail without having to do each section separately by hand like in NL1? That would be nice. We will see. Can't wait to get my hands on the NL2 simulator.

Trackwalker
Over 36"

Post by Trackwalker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Notice the NL2 wood coaster posted by Spencerman. This NL2 simulator is going to be the REAL THING!!! Oh, by the way, looks like they forgot to put supports under those ledgers that are overhanging the track below. Everything in this sim will be very realistic, unlike NL1.8 which has some flaws.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 am

I noticed the safety cable in the handrails and the more realistic bent spacing and catwalks.
The level of detail in NL2 is just staggering.

I gotta say, Trackwalker, that I'm looking forward to your creations more than just about anybody else's. All the NL1 tracks are supposed to be able to make the switch, so your River Duelers and Bridge coasters are going to look that much better.

I'm wondering how much fun that Bridge coaster would be as an Arrow suspended.... the mind reels.

Speaking of suspended coasters, a racing/dueling suspended is going to be one of the first projects I tackle when NL2 comes out.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:33 am

I just want to play around with suspendeds and loops....that would be interesting to experiment with. I'm also curious if we'll see a few surprise trains/tracks in this like some Rocky Mountain wood/steel coasters?
Life is short....have fun!

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:04 am

Arrow tried inversions for their suspended coasters, but instead of loops they made a corkscrew:

(photo credit: Scott's Coaster Closet on TPR)

The flaw is obvious but it's a really neat idea. :)