NL Rookie Builder...

Here's a place where you can talk about No Limits, ask for help as well as post your creations so everyone can take them for a ride.

Moderator: illinois

Dark_Star
Kiddie Rider

NL Rookie Builder...

Post by Dark_Star » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Hello all..

For those of you that have not met me, please see the thread at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3132

And for those of you that have, I need some help with the NL editor :mrgreen:

I have an idea for a fictional roller coaster I'd like to create with the NL editor, but I have no earthly idea where to begin.

The problem is, I am the sort of person that requires a tutorial (or a set of instructions) to follow to learn something new. I cannot just look at a layout/drawing and figure things out. In other words, I am more of a hands-on learner rather than a visual learner.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to begin?

Dark_Star
Kiddie Rider

Re: NL Rookie Builder...

Post by Dark_Star » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Ok I THINK I got the basics figured out now (Amazing what you can do just by sitting down and figuring things out.

As I get better at building, I will start using the advanced features of the editior.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:58 pm

A suggestion is when adding or tweaking vertices is to page through the different views and go into 3d to make sure it's what you want.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Dark_Star
Kiddie Rider

Post by Dark_Star » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:59 am

AHA, I found a basic tutorial within the NL help system...now it has really helped me understand the editor a lot more.

Now on to my beast of a creation :mrgreen:

It will be a basic, without supports or scenery, that is until I really get the hang of using the editor.

One little question I have not been able to figure out is, ddo you have to add brakes to the station to make the train stop?

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Dark_Star wrote:One little question I have not been able to figure out is, ddo you have to add brakes to the station to make the train stop?
No, but if your train is overshooting then you need to slow it down a bit more on the final brake run before the station. You can also select the station segment and change it's settings. Increase the g-force with which it stops the train, but be aware that the harder it is the more uncomfortable it will be. You can also set the brake trigger further towards the front of the train so the brakes come on a bit earlier. :)

I have a question of my own, actually: why is it that the train never stops in front of the gates? It will start in front of them, but never correctly line up at the end, no matter how slowly the train enters the station. I have version 5.1.someting if that helps - the penultimately released version.

Dark_Star
Kiddie Rider

Post by Dark_Star » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:44 pm

I have my roller coaster partially built.

I am having a problem with LIM launch system. I lay down the transport tracks, then add the LIM and edit the settings. But when I try the coaster, the LIM system slows down the cars instead of speeding them up? What am I doing (or not doing right) wrong?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Weird. Zip up the file and post it here as an attachment and let's see if we can't figure this out.

Have Fun

Paul

Dark_Star
Kiddie Rider

Post by Dark_Star » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:52 am

Paul Drabek wrote:Weird. Zip up the file and post it here as an attachment and let's see if we can't figure this out.
Here you go as requested.

The coaster is going to crash at the end, due to it being incomplete. That is until I get this LIM system figured out.
Attachments
MotoMania.zip
My 1st No Limits WIP Coaster
(840 Bytes) Downloaded 157 times

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 am

Ok, your station sends the trains out at 10mph and then it goes down hill and your lims speed limit is 10mph so it's slowing the train down to it's speed limit. Something to note is that you need to make sure the track is long enough for the lims to pull your train along also another thing to tweak to get a faster launch is to increase the accelleration g's.

My suggestion though is instead of building just the launch track and worrying about it is to build a few elements then work on tweaking the launch. Also you don't have to have regular track right after the station as it's ok to launch straight from there.

Have Fun

Paul

Dark_Star
Kiddie Rider

Post by Dark_Star » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:Ok, your station sends the trains out at 10mph and then it goes down hill and your lims speed limit is 10mph so it's slowing the train down to it's speed limit. Something to note is that you need to make sure the track is long enough for the lims to pull your train along also another thing to tweak to get a faster launch is to increase the accelleration g's.

My suggestion though is instead of building just the launch track and worrying about it is to build a few elements then work on tweaking the launch. Also you don't have to have regular track right after the station as it's ok to launch straight from there.

Have Fun

Paul
Suggestions noted Paul.

Thanks for putting up with my questions...although I guess we were all new at this at one point :)

Dark_Star
Kiddie Rider

Post by Dark_Star » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 am

I can't figure out how to make smooth turns.

I find that when I add a turn, the lateral Gs go to red and I can't figure out how to make it less intense.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:10 am

Play around with it a bit. Also you can highlight the track and select smooth on the edit menu and that'll help.

Have Fun

Paul