Lightning Rod (Dollywood) review

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Lightning Rod (Dollywood) review

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:21 am

Just got done with the USA2016 trip with European Coaster Club.
104 coasters in 14 days(!) It was NUTS, in a good way.

My top ten got shaken up a bit, with Storm Chaser entering the list, Prowler moving up two spots (nighttime rides, ZOMG), Rampage re-entering the list after a decade.... and Voyage ending its 10-year reign as my #1 coaster. I still love Voyage and it was bittersweet to bump it down to #2, but I really had no choice because Lightning Rod. An hour of ERT in the morning put it somewhere around #3 or #4, but when I went back later in the afternoon for more rides, it had warmed up and had become another ride entirely. I never thought I'd say it, but Lightning Rod is almost too intense. It's like Boulder Dash, El Toro, and Outlaw Run combined into a single coaster.

See the full review (with pics from the hidden valley) here: http://www.ellocoaster.com/lightning-rod/

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Lightning Rod (Dollywood) review

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Great write up Jim (keep posting links to them here). I am sadly not making it to Dollywood this year but we are thinking of doing a DW-KK-Camden-KI sort of a long weekend trip next year.

I agree with you about Prowler at night...go to Haunt and they cover it in fog plus the darkness and it gets really insane.

Also what did you think of Monster as I absolutely loved it?

Have fun!

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:48 pm

BTW your close up shot of the quad down makes me drool.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:22 am

Monster at Iowa? Loved it!
The "omega loop" or whatever they call that hang time festival is amazing. I'm planning on doing an article on that one as well, plus one on Storm Chaser at KK. I just need to find some time.
Just rode the Brandauer (single rail) alpine coaster that just opened in Revelstoke. It's the only single-rail one in N.America, but considering how popular it is, I don't think it will be the last. Even on non-crowded days, queues are often an hour or more.