Rocky Mountain Texas

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Rocky Mountain Texas

Post by Greg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Yesterday I rode the New Texas Giant for the first time. This is an intense, aggressive ride. The pacing is fantastic and the forces are relentless. Pair the Giant with it's neighbor, Titan, and I needed a break from the forces, or an excuse for a beer. These two coasters pack more forces individually than many parks' coasters combined.

Today I rode Iron Rattler. The first drop, with its slight twist, is one of the best first drops, if not my favorite ever. The rest of the ride is fast paced and pure fun and the train has major momentum when it hits the brakes. I can't wait to ride it again tomorrow.

Now, more than ever, I'm hoping SF does a Rocky Mtn remake of The Boss. Just keep your hands off the Screamin' Eagle.

Thanks for reading, and post advice for San Antonio if you know great places to eat, especially BBQ and beer. Tomorrow I may tour the Alamo and enjoy the city. Then I'm off to the Houston area, Galveston, and Kemah for the weekend.
Greg

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Re: Rocky Mountain Texas

Post by johnny.ink » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Any of the bars and eateries on the river are awesome! The Margarita tour is very fun as well ;)

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:42 am

I really need to get out to ride Rattler. Was going to try for the events during Memorial Day weekend but that is looking unlikely.

trainman_dave
Kiddie Rider

Post by trainman_dave » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Let me know how bullet is running. I plan on getting out there in the next few weeks, possibly as soon as Sunday.

Greg
Park Chain CEO

Post by Greg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Dave, I plan to be there Sun evening. If you're going to be there, we should meet for a ride.
Greg

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by tribar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:44 pm

I've heard good things about the San Antonio Zoo if you have the time for that.

trainman_dave
Kiddie Rider

Post by trainman_dave » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Greg,

Check your PM inbox. I sent you my contact info. I'd love to join you on Sunday if I can.

Greg
Park Chain CEO

Post by Greg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:31 pm

While the Rocky Mtn coasters were my most anticipated coasters of this trip, and did not disappoint, the Boardwalk Bullet was the surprise hit. It's much faster than when I rode it the year it opened; the pacing is relentless. The first 1/3 of the ride has been completely retracked, including the bents. The rest of the ride has a lot of retracking too. This ride is fast, furious, and a joy to ride. I was sweating when the train hit the brakes. Honestly, it has my vote for the most intense, yet still comfortable and fun, traditional wooden coaster in the country. I haven't enjoyed an aggressive woodie this much since the Voyage opened and was running in top form.

Also, thank you trainman_Dave for joining me at Keemah. I had a great time hangin' with you and riding the Bullet.
Greg

trainman_dave
Kiddie Rider

Post by trainman_dave » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:59 am

I had a great time too! I was shocked at how well bullet was running, definitely an insanely good ride with a layout I still can't figure out, really glad they did all of the work on it recently.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:40 am

I am looking forward to getting back to Texas and the Bullet next year as Bond and I have been planning a father/son trip there for when he turns 16 and can drive a large part of the trip.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:05 pm

sounds like you should go in October and include Lone Star Coasterthon on the way down... or on the way back up

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Probably not fall as we want to hit SFOG, Sea World, SFFT, Switchback, Kemah and Galveston and it would be hard squeezing that into a fall weekend.
Life is short....have fun!