The Most Underrated Coaster Style

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

The Most Underrated Coaster Style

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:01 pm

I was watching a bunch of videos tonight while working out on my ski machine and video of a Togo Ultratwister came up on my playlist and you know what I really love these coasters.

In my opinion these coasters have to be the most underrated steel coaster style out there. The one I rode (Ultratwister at Astroworld) was smooth, really thrilling, visually cool and in the end really damn fun. I woud have liked to seen more from this concept especially over here. You never hear coaster enthusiast give them any praise (nor most of Togo's product line) so my vote for the most underrated coaster style is Togo's Ultratwisters.

What coaster style do you think is underrated?

Have fun!

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Re: The Most Underrated Coaster Style

Post by Vonni » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am

I completely agree Paul! I wish there were more of them around, particularly in the U.S.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I was too tall for Ultra Twister. That doesn't mean I didn't fit in it, it just means that I didn't fit in it comfortably. It also meant I didn't get any airtime on that otherwise delicious bunny hop after the drop.

Dat drop, though. Day-um.

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Wow, that looks really sick!
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:19 am

I'm not sure about ride types, but one of the most underrated coasters I've ever been on is this one: the Wild West Mine Train at Ocean Park in Hong Kong. It has no tunnels and no bridges and isn't much to look at. But it is far more fun than it has any right to be and is loaded with airtime. Yes, airtime + cliffs + amazing views = ton of fun. You have to sit in the back as the train is long enough to produce a nice whipping motion over the crests of the hills.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:00 pm

That coaster is one that I have wanted to ride for quite a while as the views are amazing.
Life is short....have fun!

Tour2ma
Kiddie Rider
Custom Title: Just lookin' for one more Nickel-Night reride...

Post by Tour2ma » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Paul Drabek wrote: You never hear coaster enthusiast give them any praise (nor most of Togo's product line) so my vote for the most underrated coaster style is Togo's Ultratwisters.
Understandable choice, Paul. Only proviso I'd add is like the shuttle loops of the past, the best Twisters would be those that had no stop at the far end of the run, e.g. Astroworld's Greased Lightening (by far the best shuttle loop I've ridden) as opposed to KI's Screamin' Demon.

Astroworld's UltraTwister was a good ride, but included the same tilt-stop as Spa Land's ride. There's another park in Japan that has a layout that incorporates a dive roll at the far end. Never rode it, but based upon the video it looks likes a significant upgrade. The speed of the return seems greater and seeing the twists coming beats looking behind at them "going".

Cool note: At the end of the opening POV run you can see a turntable down the track to get the car pointed in the right direction for the next ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfuHZUQHBM
More later,

Tour