What would you name yours?

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

What would you name yours?

Post by Vonni » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Its December. Most parks and Coasters are closed for the season. As enthusiasts, this is a rather slow time of year as we anxiously await the opening of the parks for the next season. So, in an effort to keep the boards fairly lively this time of year I thought of this topic: What would you name your own Theme Park? (Don't lie, we all have the fantasy of owning and operating our own park!). If you want to get really fancy, include some of the Rides and attractions you would add in it. Maybe even where it would be located?

Heres mine:

Dustin's Thrill World

It would have a custom B&M Sit down looper, and a record breaking GCI. And it would also have Greezed Lightin from Kentucky Kingdom as I bought it after KK shut down. It would have beautiful landscaping and flowers and trees everywhere. It would have a classic Carosaul (spelling is wrong, I know), and a nice Ferris Wheel. Sometime down the line it would include a B&M Dive Machine, and an RMC woodie. Several other attractions and rides would be scattered all around the beautiful Dustin's Thrill World, and fantastic food. Free parking, and Free Soft Drinks inspired by the awesome Holiday World, and a giant Water Park inspired by HW as well. It would be located just off Highway 24 in Huntsville MO. You cant say it would not be successful in such a small town. It works, if you work it right!

Oh to dream...

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Re: What would you name yours?

Post by bratman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:55 am

When I was younger, when I was bored I used to draw up plans for a park I called the Twilight Zone (copyright? what copyright?). The park would be built on an artificially created island in Lake Ontario using fill from construction projects around the area, just off the coast from what we now call Tommy Thompson Park (itself a creation from fill), in roughly this area : http://goo.gl/maps/lTa3l . A rapid transit system would take you out to the island (alternately, a ferry would be available).

Some of the primitive ride concepts :

An indoor Space Mountain-esque coaster
A mega steel looper that would have a large portion go underwater on a "lake" within this island (using plexiglass tubes)
A T-shaped Main Street
A large mountain/hill on the NW side that would serve to hide train storage for the RT system, but would house a fully enclosed large/long themed log flume
A kickass woodie on the side of that mountain.

I had actually at one point mapped out the whole place - even divided the island into themed areas. Oh, and yes... I had a spot set aside where I would live there as well!

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm

^ Very nice! I'd certainly live in very close proximity to my park as well!

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I've thought about this quite a lot on my more nerdy days. Mine would be a smallish park along the lines of Strickers' Grove. There are a few things which I won't talk about in case someone nicks my ideas. Other than that I'd have some classic flats, a corn maze which changed every year, a model world with scale models of famous buildings and an awesome dark ride, plus a walking trail and a garden/picnic area. For the coasters I'd have the Rivervew Bobs, which would not be neutered, and the Kiddie Bobs (also from Riverview). I'm not sure what I'd do for an intermediate coaster, but there would be a model train going round the park. Food-wise there'd be the staples, a few non-staples and a barbecue, and there'd be a hall which would be rentable. Oh, and I'd have a top scan as the only modern thrill ride, because they are simply awesome, and it would be run on glorious manual mode. Entrance would be free and people would only pay for rides and food.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:34 pm

I have no idea for a park name, because there are so many names I could go with. Anyway, I want it to be a fairly cheap park, maybe $25 to $30 to enter, and of course package deals and such, like SDC. I will also have maybe a wristband or something for people who have paid, so the ride ops will have to see if they are wearing one. The reason is because I want the park to be open for handicap people who cannot ride. They are able to enter for free, or maybe $5. No idea.

I would have a mini golf course, of course, and have a nice restaurant nearby and call it "Tony's Lounge" after the lounge my great-uncle once owned. He really liked to golf. I will have maybe golf photos and paintings, maybe a Hawkeyes section after his favorite college team, and maybe the Yankees to his favorite baseball team (I believe, but I forget if he liked the Yankees or hated them).

The rides will give very nice cycles. I will have a kiddie section, and a major thrill section, and the rest will be family rides and a few thrill rides here and there. I want a ride like to Space Shot, maybe not as tall so as to not dominate the park. I will not have rides taller than 200ft. This policy may change, but as of now I don't want to dwarf the park.

This is my park idea. I actually hope to have a coaster business and own a park. :)

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:53 pm

I'd love to do a Mark Twain themed park near Hannibal, Missouri maybe called "Hannibal USA". You could easily mine Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn for several ride ideas like a Injun Joe's mine ride, maybe a nice wooden coaster themed to a fairgrounds. Of course there would be a great swimmin' hole water park to go along with it. I'd go for that small family run theme park feel with it like Holiday World used to be in the 1990's with free parking/drinks and uber friendly employees.
Life is short....have fun!

TNT
Over 48"

Post by TNT » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I have actually come up with two parks.

Suerig Hollow: A park in the middle of the woods kinda like SDC in many regards. The theme is small backwoods hick town rather than old west mine town. In order to get to the park you have to ride the train from the parking lot to town. Most of the rides would be around the edge of the town or blended or hidden in the town so it feels like a town that happens to have roller coasters in the surrounding woods. There would be a shuttle mine train (the entire ride would be actually underground and it would have multiple train operation), GCI coaster, and an alpine coaster.

Small Town USA: As the name implies its a park based on small American towns. The park would be open to the public all year round. All the stores in the park would be small local businesses. There would be a RMC coaster that runs around the perimeter of the park, a GIB, a flying turn coaster, and a wild mouse.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Thrillsville.

No kiddie rides, no carousels or tame flat rides, only high-intensity stuff like coasters, drop towers, frisbees, that kind of thing.
Sure, there would be log flumes and dark rides, but they would be extreme versions of these.

Also: make it out like the park is a "rite of passage" from being a kid to becoming an adult... nobody under 13 allowed.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Greg we need you posting here about "Greg Land: the over 21 theme park'. ;-)

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 pm

OH, I've often had fantasies about an adults-only (that doesn't necessarily mean sexually-themed) amusement park. I just don't think that it would be financially feasible on a large scale... have a look at the crowd in ANY theme park and you'll see it's true.

OTOH, I'd give anything if a theme park would have just ONE DAY every month that was set aside for adults. I'd fly to wherever it was and go that day.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:46 am

TC10K wrote:OH, I've often had fantasies about an adults-only (that doesn't necessarily mean sexually-themed) amusement park. I just don't think that it would be financially feasible on a large scale... have a look at the crowd in ANY theme park and you'll see it's true.
The other thing is that even the hardcore junkies want to ride something gentler from time to time, so it doesn't make sense to have a park with nothing but thrill rides. If a park operated like that, as soon as the guests wanted a break they'd leave the park.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:11 am

Woodpecker wrote: The other thing is that even the hardcore junkies want to ride something gentler from time to time, so it doesn't make sense to have a park with nothing but thrill rides. If a park operated like that, as soon as the guests wanted a break they'd leave the park.
That's what the in-park bar is for!
Light Beer Josh Shot Dark beer :beer: :D

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:13 am

Paul, I love Hannibal! It was such a nice small town. I really liked the Mark Twain Museum!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Spencerman wrote:Paul, I love Hannibal! It was such a nice small town. I really liked the Mark Twain Museum!
Never been to the Museum but they have a nice little down town and the view from Lovers Leap over the entire valley is sweet.