Top Five bucket list coasters

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Top Five bucket list coasters

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:26 pm

What five coasters do you consider your top five must-ride-before-you-die coasters?

Not parks, not countries, but individual coasters.

Mine:

1. Wiener Looping (Bullet) - going to hit this one in October, woo hoo!
2. Coaster at the Puyallup fair
3. Swamp Fox, Myrtle Beach
4. Avalanche, Wisconsin Dells
5. Flying Turns, Knoebels

I was lucky this year to knock three of my bucket list coasters off the list: Outlaw Run, Ice Mountain Bobsled, and Coaster at the PNE in Vancouver. Exactly none of them disappointed, so bonus!

Sora
Ride Operator

Re: Top Five bucket list coasters

Post by Sora » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:04 pm

A tough choice. I'd love to ride the three remaining Church coasters (the Giant Dippers at Belmont and Santa Cruz, Dragon at Rye Playland) but I'd also love to ride the Wild Mouse at Blackpool (supposedly even hardened enthusiasts fear for their life) the Coney Cyclone (failed to get that this year) the coasters at Kennywood and Knoebels, Leap the Dips and Rollo Coaster at Idlewild. That thing looks seriously fun! :smile:

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:41 pm

OK, having been on all of your bucket list coasters (!) I can tell you that the only snoozer on your list is the Rye Dragon. Sure, it's worth doing for the history, but it's dull with a capital D. The two Dippers, though, are great - with Santa Cruz winning over Belmont primarily because of the first drop being straight rather than curved. Also, the view is arguably better at Cruz, though Belmont's looks better as you approach it.

Blackpool mouse: OMFG. Bring nerves of steel and lots of Tylenol.
Coney Cyclone: same as above. The Coney 'clone might disappoint a bit due to so many wood coasters these days giving a better engineered, more comfortable, more pleasant, and (dare I say) more thrilling ride. It is SERIOUSLY old-school, for all the good and bad that entails. However, for sheer ridiculous "I can't believe they still allow this thing to run in this day and age" brutality, the back seat is something that must be experienced. Like one NYPD guy told his partner on the way up the lift (I was in the next-to-last seat, having already done my duty in the back seat - just once!), "there's only two types of people what rides the back seat of the Cyclone: masochists and those that don't know no bettah!"

As for Kennywood, Knoebels, and Idlewild, I'd say that the total experience at those parks plays a huge role in how those coasters are perceived and adored. Yes, they're good, but if you put those exact same rides at a SF park or a Cedar Fair park, they'd probably be also-rans. However, they AREN'T at SF or CF and so they come with the charming atmosphere and general good-feelings and fun that you can't help but feel at those places. This just makes the rides better than they probably are, somehow... and this is just fine with me.

Leap the Dips is the standout ride here. I rode it because I felt that I *should* - preservation success story and all - but expected to be bored out of my mind. What I got was a serious case of the giggles, had a fantastic time, and ended up LOVING IT. Cute park, too. Oh... and here are a few words for you to remember when you finally get there:

Skyliner. First drop. Back seat. Trust me.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 pm

1. Olympia Looping Bahn
2. Liesebergbahn at Lieseberg
3. Mindbender at the West Edmondton Mall
4. Wiener Looping
5. The Zambezi Zinger or whatever they call it down in Columbia.

As you can see yeah I am a bit of a Schwarzkopf fan.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Mindbender was a bit of a letdown for me on my first ride... but I rode it in the backward-facing cars my first time. I suggest that you memorize the layout before you do that to avoid surprise head-smashing on the OTSRs.

After that, I stuck with the forward seats and the ride got better with each trip. My initial "it's not nearly as intense as I expected" feeling about it was followed by the realization that if I did more than three consecutive rides, I very nearly blacked out between loops 2 and 3.

It's a damn good coaster, but not at the top of my fave Schwarzkopf list. I give that nod to Turbine (before it was redone) or maybe Thriller.
Mindbender probably ranks very close to Mind Bender (SFOG) on my list, which is right above Shock Wave (SFOT)

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:42 pm

TC10K wrote:Blackpool mouse: OMFG.
:lol:

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm

TC10K wrote:Mindbender was a bit of a letdown for me on my first ride... but I rode it in the backward-facing cars my first time. I suggest that you memorize the layout before you do that to avoid surprise head-smashing on the OTSRs.

After that, I stuck with the forward seats and the ride got better with each trip. My initial "it's not nearly as intense as I expected" feeling about it was followed by the realization that if I did more than three consecutive rides, I very nearly blacked out between loops 2 and 3.

It's a damn good coaster, but not at the top of my fave Schwarzkopf list. I give that nod to Turbine (before it was redone) or maybe Thriller.
Mindbender probably ranks very close to Mind Bender (SFOG) on my list, which is right above Shock Wave (SFOT)
Mindbender may end up being a letdown but I have wanted to ride it since the 80's. Besides did Anton ever design a bad coaster? His worst are still better than most of them out there.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:29 pm

It was only a minor letdown for me due to the OTSRs and the fact that it didn't seem as intense as I thought it would be.
If I had ridden forwards a few times before going backward, it might not've even been a letdown at all. It certainly wasn't a letdown by the time I left the park, only the first couple rides.

I'll say this: the indoor setting makes it better. That thing is LOUD.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:02 pm

It's still uploading (about 2hrs left - my upload speed is horrid) but once it gets done and processed, you can see my video of Mindbender at http://youtu.be/JGbkkYtnHj4

Of note: The trains consist of three lead cars rather than a lead car and two trailers. As far as I know, this is the only Schwarzkopf coaster that does this. It's also what allows them to turn the middle car around backward on one of the trains, since each car has four wheel sets. (The train in the video is the one with all three cars facing forward)

Also: think about SFOG Mind Bender, SFOT Shock Wave, and pretty much any other Schwarzkopf looping coaster... then watch how insanely fast this thing goes through the loops, especially the third one.

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:43 am

I'll do these backwards for effect. My #1 likely never happen...but I can't help but include it. Sorry...but can't...
#5 Wild Mouse @ Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Only wooden wild mouse left that I know of.
#4 Coney Island Cyclone - It's one of the most well-known wooden coasters around.
#3 Comet at Great Escape - For its very unique history.
#2 Coaster at Playland Vancouver. It has been in a lot of movies, unique trains, and I adore classics.
...and #1 Most ride coaster - The Beast...TRIMLESS!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:40 pm

I've had the first half of The Beast without trims and it was fun.

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:57 am

My list consists of five Coasters I can think of off the top of my head that I want to experience, but not in any particular order or ranking:

El Toro
Diamondback
Outlaw Run
Helix at Liseberg
Maverick

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 pm

dare-to-fly wrote:#5 Wild Mouse @ Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Only wooden wild mouse left that I know of.
There's two in Australia and one in storage ready to be rebuilt at Dreamland in Margate. The Blackpool Mouse is supposed to be the most intense and terrifying of all of them, though.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:23 am

dare-to-fly wrote:I'll do these backwards for effect. My #1 likely never happen...but I can't help but include it. Sorry...but can't...
#5 Wild Mouse @ Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Only wooden wild mouse left that I know of.
#4 Coney Island Cyclone - It's one of the most well-known wooden coasters around.
#3 Comet at Great Escape - For its very unique history.
#2 Coaster at Playland Vancouver. It has been in a lot of movies, unique trains, and I adore classics.
...and #1 Most ride coaster - The Beast...TRIMLESS!
I feel very fortunate to have experienced all five on your list and I can tell you that #1 isn't going to happen without a serious reworking of the track. The ridiculously long trains and massive weight of those at sustained speeds just ate the track up far too fast to be financially feasible. I will say that I didn't get a full trim less ride, but the first set of brakes was just barely on and the long set before the helix were apparently either off or not working (the helix had just been re-tracked) and even though the helix was a massively OMFG moment at that intensity, even with brand new track, it was just too brutal to do repeatedly. If ever there was a coaster that needed a complete re-do with Topper Track, the Beast is it. No reprofiling, just retracking with track that can take the abuse. There's a really, really good and unique ride under all those trims.

As for the other four on your list, there's not a stinker nor an anticipointment moment anywhere on it. BPB mouse is almost a rite of passage, Coney Clone qualifies as well (especially in a wheel seat. Bring Tylenol!), Comet is fun and the lift hill's quirky noises and increasing speed to the top are worth the ride all by themselves (not to mention coming off the turns in the back seat, holy crap), and Playland's Coaster was one of those fantastic surprises this year for me that I expected to ride because of the historic experience... and it blew me away on every single ride and ended up in my top ten. I was at 590+ coasters on my ride list that day, so top ten is nearly impossible to do, and for such an old coaster? When the fiancé asked if there was some place in the world I might like to retire to, "Vancouver, within walking distance of the Coaster at Playland" was my first answer.