Banned From SF For LIfe Guy Fights Back

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Banned From SF For LIfe Guy Fights Back

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

This is a weird ass story!

Flume-ride fan banned from Six Flags parks is fighting exclusion in court
Jay Marc Harris, the self-described "Flume Dog," sued the Grand Prairie-based theme park operator over the ban instituted in 2006. The San Antonio Express-News reports the trial was scheduled to start in Bexar County court.

The ban came after Harris asked three women at Six Flags Fiesta Texas if he could take their children on the flume ride, according to court documents. The women complained to management, Harris was removed from the property and later banned after his record at other Six Flags locations came to light.

Security staff at the company's Atlanta park once found Harris chained to a tree. In another instance, Harris was found on the grounds of the Chicago location before it opened in the morning. He had apparently slept there overnight, according to court documents.
There's being a fan and then there's being insane. Of course the asking for little kids to join him for a flume ride as a parent sends up red flags and a big "hell no" from me especially since one does not need a kid to ride a log flume.

My gut says that he's not going to win his case.

Have fun!

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Re: Banned From SF For LIfe Guy Fights Back

Post by CptBeeble » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:42 am

If there is a clause ANYWHERE in the SF TOS (I know it's not called a TOS in this case, but at least that term will make you understand what I'm talking about) that says, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone," then the guy is SOL. Basically, any time you buy a ticket or a season pass, there is a paragraph or two or more with all kinds of fine print stating what you agree to when you use that ticket to gain entrance to the park. Somewhere in those paragraphs, I'm betting, is a clause that grants SF the right to deny access to their park for 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, plus another clause that gives them the right to invoke a ban based on something at their discretion because just because they didn't think of it and put it on their list doesn't mean that you shouldn't be banned from the park for it.

While asking kids to ride the flume with you is creepy - and the level of creepy depends on the age of the kids (it doesn't say in your quote from the article that they were "little" kids, but I think we all just assume they were) - the other stuff he's been caught doing is pretty much going to make any plea of "innocent misunderstanding" hard to defend.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:05 pm

My guess is that this will be thrown out before long.

Then this guy will have to frequent all of the non SF flume owning parks out there.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:57 pm

'Hello, can I ride this ride with you children?" :lol:
Wow, some people are just weird. This guy should know that he should not have asked, and he should also know that he will not win this case. :roll:

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 pm

It's undeniably creepy on the front, but people really judge quickly and harshly... do we know of any "mental" conditions this person may have? I'm not saying that it still wouldn't be creepy or not OK, but we tend to be harsh.

Some people are disabled or special-abled with out looking like it.

This is to add to the overall understanding of what may be going on; to NOT jump on a bandwagon and present a different POV. And I better add the disclaimer once again "I didn't say it's OK or still not creepy" before someone says "that's no excuse," or something generic like that.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I have asked to borrow kids to ride a kiddie coaster, but I always preface it with WHY I'm asking and I always make sure they understand that it's entirely OK if they're uncomfortable with it. Also, I make sure I ask the parents and NOT the kids - and it always helps if I'm wearing an ACE shirt or a shirt showing a coaster from some far away park, so they know the whole bit about "I'm a die-hard enthusiast and I like to ride ALL the coasters in a park" is legit. I sometimes even pull up the website where I list all the coasters I've been on while we wait in the queue.

I find that it's usually much easier to convince the parents that you're not a creeper if you're close to some milestone. In other words, "I just need three more coasters to get to 500" is an easier sell than "this will be number 527."

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:03 pm

I have asked parents before and yeah told them why (for a kiddie coaster that requires kids to ride) but asking them for a ride on a log flume where you DON'T need another rider or a kid is where this guy crossed into the possible creepy pedo zone for most people.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Agreed. Most parents understand the "this is the only way I can ride this ride" concept, but when you can totally ride the thing without the kids and it has seats in the ride vehicle that pretty much demands the kids are sitting in your lap....

eww.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 pm

TC10K wrote:Agreed. Most parents understand the "this is the only way I can ride this ride" concept, but when you can totally ride the thing without the kids and it has seats in the ride vehicle that pretty much demands the kids are sitting in your lap....

eww.
Exactly!