No More Timberliners for Holiday World!

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

jk1w
Over 52"

No More Timberliners for Holiday World!

Post by jk1w » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 pm

No more Timberliners, Holiday World has decided it best not to use them after four years of trying, which is a shame I was looking forward to them

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/vo ... ain-update

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Re: No More Timberliners for Holiday World!

Post by Vonni » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Well at least they defintely tried, and put up a great effort. Maybe they will do a complete re-tracking of The Voyage since the Timberliners will not work out?

jk1w
Over 52"

Post by jk1w » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:44 pm

^Maybe Rocky Mountain can do something with its topper track, iron track isn't necessary as it is already a fun coaster

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Hopefully they'll either remove the seat dividers from the PTCs or replace them with solid ones. My hips will thank them. Or maybe GCII could be persuaded to put their MF trains on Voyage.

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 pm

I love GCI and their trains, but I dont think the trains would be appropriate for The Voyage. I dont know why I feel that way, it just doesnt seem like the coaster would be as intense (in a good way intense) as it is.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:30 am

I know what you mean, Vonni: I spent a lot of time at HW wondering whether the ride would be better if it were smoother, or whether the roughness was an integral part of it being great. That said, I could have done without the headache, and without my hips being shoved through the seat dividers every time we rounded a bend. For someone thin like me it's downright painful. This was not a problem on the Raven or the Legend which have solid seat dividers.
Last edited by Sora on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:33 am

I'm very thin too (down right scrawny lol). Now, I did get a mild headache, but I honestly dont remember the ride hurting my hips. I do remember it feeling quite snug though.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:51 am

Vonni wrote:I'm very thin too (down right scrawny lol). Now, I did get a mild headache, but I honestly dont remember the ride hurting my hips. I do remember it feeling quite snug though.
Haha, well I'm probably not what you'd consider scrawny :P They were quite snug, it's true, but I think you got off lucky...or maybe it was who you were riding it with? I found the ride was less painful when sitting next to another thin person, as opposed to a fatter person.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:11 am

jk1w wrote:^Maybe Rocky Mountain can do something with its topper track, iron track isn't necessary as it is already a fun coaster
Rocky Mountain better keep it's paws off of the Voyage...I love me some Outlaw Run but other than some Timberliners I do not want to see any modifications to the coaster I saw grow from the first clearing to the final test run.
Life is short....have fun!

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:22 am

Paul Drabek wrote:
jk1w wrote:^Maybe Rocky Mountain can do something with its topper track, iron track isn't necessary as it is already a fun coaster
Rocky Mountain better keep it's paws off of the Voyage...I love me some Outlaw Run but other than some Timberliners I do not want to see any modifications to the coaster I saw grow from the first clearing to the final test run.

Thank you!

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

Post by illinois » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:50 am

Paul Drabek wrote:
Agreed. There is nothing wrong that yearly maintenance doesn't fix, and HW actually does that, unlike many other parks that shall remain nameless. The Voyage has ALWAYS been rideable, though it may have a few rough spots depending on the year. It's an intense, even epic ride in a park that knows how to take care of it.

Go around the world and compare wood coasters - you won't find many that are as intense as the Voyage, and even fewer are taken care of as well. Others, say the now defunct POS that used to be called the Rattler, were truly in need of a remake.

If you get a headache, go drink something. It's usually dehydration. Free drinks at HW, by the way.

I'll take the Voyage over Outlaw Run any day - it's at least twice as long and both are intense. If I have to wait in line, I'll take the longer ride. Also, currently I'll take the Voyage PTC trains over the Outlaw Run trains, because the shin bars and part of the car underneath the seat just plain hurt if you have long legs.... BEFORE the ride op staples you into the seat, crushes your shins and the tendon on the back of your ankle, and makes you yell "OW". (Yes, I did that.)

I've still never ridden a Timberliner train, though, and that disappoints me. When I sat in the demo car at HWN years ago, it was so much more comfortable, especially in terms of back support, than other trains.

To put GCI trains on the Voyage is just stupid, and would be a slap in the face to the Gravity Group who created the world's best wooden coaster there. They probably wouldn't hold up, either. -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Timberliners are great - at least on Wooden Warrior. They are comfortable, track well, and load/unload quickly.
They are not, however, a fix for rough spots, as even the tiny little WW has its share of rumbling. If timberliners were added to the Voyage, you'd get better tracking, better navigation through the 90deg banked turns, and probably a second or two shaved off the ride time. I doubt you'd lose any of the intensity or the roughness.
That said, I don't think I'd like Voyage nearly as much with those trains. The fun thing about Voyage to me is the old-school trains that put you in a mindset of familiarity, leading to the three big camels at the beginning, confirming your "been there-done that" feeling... and then it just goes crazy. Wicked turns, 90deg zig-zags, a triple-down underground, non-stop speed, etc etc etc.
If you board newfangled trains, you would sort of expect the ride to deliver something extraordinary.

Want to improve Voyage trains? Slap on some PTCs with buzz bars. Sure, you'll need seat belts, but it has those already.

As for RMC messing with it... keep the PTCs and you can topper track the whole bleedin' thing, I don't think it will change the ride AT ALL, save for reduced off-season maintenance. Tremors was chock full of topper on turns and valleys and unless I was sitting in the front seat and paying attention, I literally couldn't tell where the regular track stopped and the topper track started. It feels just like a "regular" wood track, just without jackhammering. The shuffle and the rough-n-tumble feel is unchanged.

I would much rather see Voyage toppered and left wild than to see them apply heavy midcourse braking mid-season to counter the increased roughness after a hot week or so.

Likewise The Beast at KI. Slap some topper on that thing and ditch all those trim brakes. That could easily be a top ten ride STILL if it ran unchained.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:43 pm

I had one Beast ride with no trims (must have been a heavy or light train before us) and it was really fun...no top ten for me with no airtime but much better nonetheless. Sadly we ran around for another ride and the trims were on hard and it sucked.
Life is short....have fun!

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

Post by illinois » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 am

TC10K wrote:I would much rather see Voyage toppered and left wild than to see them apply heavy midcourse braking mid-season to counter the increased roughness after a hot week or so.
Likewise The Beast at KI. Slap some topper on that thing and ditch all those trim brakes. That could easily be a top ten ride STILL if it ran unchained.
I've never experienced the Voyage midcourse brake being on. Maybe someone else has, but I have not. As for the Beast, even though I rode it a lot as a teenager, I have to agree.
Paul Drabek wrote:I had one Beast ride with no trims (must have been a heavy or light train before us) and it was really fun...no top ten for me with no airtime but much better nonetheless. Sadly we ran around for another ride and the trims were on hard and it sucked.
Yes, I remember one of those when I was a teenager and lived 40 mins from the park. It was crazy fun, and I remember being very surprised when none of the brakes in the covered section before the second tunnel took hold, and the train just flew until hitting the second lift.

Of course I also remember how rough it was, and that unbraked ride was probably a bit painful. Many times I rode when it was simply too rough for me to ride more than once a day.

It runs much better today, though it is far too heavily braked. I remember when the second drop actually had airtime. -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 pm

HW used to bring the trains almost to a stop on the midcourse late in the season when complaints of roughness and shorter queues were the order of the day.

I remember at Con 07, I mentioned that it was great, but a bit on the rough side. He said, "wait till late July!"