Mt Gretna PA Coaster

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Sora
Ride Operator

Mt Gretna PA Coaster

Post by Sora » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:19 am

I was browsing through eBay and came across this photo:

listing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PA-Lenanon-Co-M ... 25806429d6

I did a bit of digging and it turns out it's a Schmeck terrain coaster known simply as "Coaster" that was built at Laurel Park, Mount Gretna, PA in 1926 and demolished in the early 1935 after sitting idle for a few years. From this photo I'd say it had an interesting layout. I wish there were more pictures floating around the net, but this is the only one I've seen. Maybe there are some more in the book about Gretna.

:)

jk1w
Over 52"

Re: Mt Gretna PA Coaster

Post by jk1w » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 am

From what I found, Coaster was built in 1926 by PTC and designed by Herbert P Schmeck. The coaster height was 69' 11", and I seen somewhere that it dropped into a ravine.

Coaster had cost the park $13, 600 to be built

Also Laurel Park Entertainment was unofficially known as Kaufman Park after its owner, and the park officially opened on 4th of July, 1926

The park featured a shooting gallery, a whip, a carousel, and swimming pool

In 1929 the park was hit hard by the stock market crash, and by 1934 the park’s carousel and roller coaster were badly deteriorated and were demolished

All that remains of the amusement park today are the dam head, concrete pool and foundational footers for the roller coaster