The New Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster ,Would You Ride?

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

jk1w
Over 52"

The New Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster ,Would You Ride?

Post by jk1w » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 am

So I seen that the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster had a soft opening yesterday, thanks to ACE, in Pigeon Ford, TN. It looks pretty awesome; would you ride?

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Re: The New Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster ,Would You Ride?

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:12 am

ABSOLUTELY, I would ride.
Last summer, I got to ride my first Alpine Coaster - and started grand, doing the world's longest one - in Imst, Austria. It's more than three times as long as the one in Pigeon Forge and if I were to include it in my coaster list, it would easily make the top ten steel... maybe even the top five. Hell, it might even make the top ten overall list. I can't remember EVER having so much fun on any non-coaster ride in my life. I don't know how the guy who filmed the Pigeon Forge one kept quiet... I usually got the giggles after the first turn of the Imst one and spent the next six-seven minutes laughing, woo-hooing, and making a general fool of myself.
I noticed a lot of braking in the video, which is natural. You aren't sure whether to trust that little sled or not... but the sleds have speed governors on them, plus upstops. You can go all-out and be perfectly safe, although your heart rate will double.
Here's a vid of the Imst one, no brakes.
http://youtu.be/MUVFiNVRvEU

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:14 pm

I so need to get to the one in Europe! I remember seeing a POV of an insane single track alpine coaster ... I gota do that too.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Bond and I have already talked and decided that whenever we head to DW next we will have to hit this ride.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:59 pm

bratman wrote:I so need to get to the one in Europe! I remember seeing a POV of an insane single track alpine coaster ... I gota do that too.
The single track one you speak of is just about 20min down the road from the other one. Unfortunately, it was sprinkling when I went - and the single track ones can't run in the rain. I waited about half an hour, but they said the weather report indicated rain all day and even if the rain stopped they'd have to wait for the rails to dry.

I rode the World's Longest one in the rain for two of my three trips on it. They can run those even in the snow! It's the same type as the one in Pigeon Forge, so it's possible that one could go year-round.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 pm

we have similar ones here in Ontario (Blue Mountain) and in Quebec (Mont St. Sauveur). I have done the one in Quebec --- in the winter, snow all around us. Was awesome, if cold.

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Post by violakat03 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:50 am

My co-supervisor rode it yesterday and I'll be riding it either today or tomorrow! I'll be sure to give a full report once I've experienced it myself. :) It's less than 5 minutes from where I work.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 am

Next time in PF, I'm definitely doing this.

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by violakat03 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:25 pm

I still haven't ridden it yet. The car-buying process has been MUCH more time consuming than I expected. Good news is we're in the final stages of that and I should be driving my new 2013 Chevy Equinox soon. :) Bad news is it's still stealing all my post-work time and it will be at least next week before I get to ride the alpine coaster. It kills me being so close it and knowing it's there for the taking!! My co-supervisor is up to 25 rides on it already. He lives within walking distance of it.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:07 pm

At least it is very much in striking distance for you Kat...for us it is 10 hours away. :-(

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by violakat03 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:08 pm

I have this history with it being a pain to get the closest credits to me. For example:
I never rode Screechin' Eagle at Americana even though I lived 30 minutes away from it my entire childhood.
It took me until 2009 to get Stricker's Grove, about an hour away from where I grew up.
It took me until 2012 to ride Sea Dragon at the Columbus Zoo, also an hour away from where I grew up. The first time I rode it was the day I was trained on how to run it.
I finally rode the Nascar SpeedPark coaster in May, after living 5 miles from it for a year and passing it almost daily.
And I still haven't ridden the alpine slide at Ober Gatlinburg.

Hopefully it doesn't take me a year to get this one.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Well take a day off and go ride both of the alpine coasters. Make a date out of it with Nick. Have a romantic dinner and then follow it up with rides! That's a proper date.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 am

The OG alpine slide is OK, but very short and not nearly enough turns.
With the alpine coaster just down the road now, I expect it to fade away.

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 pm

TC10K wrote:The OG alpine slide is OK, but very short and not nearly enough turns.
With the alpine coaster just down the road now, I expect it to fade away.
Unless OG and the alpine coaster are owned by the same people, which I don't believe they are, I would be surprised to see the alpine slide go anywhere. OG is quite isolated and there are a number of families who go there to enjoy everything else. They could probably care less about the alpine coaster.

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by violakat03 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:06 am

Ober Gatlinburg offers much, much more than just the alpine slide, so I highly doubt it will go anywhere. They do most of their business in the winter anyway, when they make oodles of snow and everyone goes there to ski and snowboard. They also have the aerial tramway which makes them a very visible destination in Gatlinburg.

The alpine coaster is very much off the main parkway, which worries me for them. Most places off the parkway in Pigeon Forge do not survive. An example would be Race World, the former home of Thunder Eagle, which was hidden behind buildings and poorly promoted. There's also a giant outlet mall on Teaster Lane that has a whopping 3 stores left in it. The only thing that isn't on the Parkway that is successful is Dollywood.