Rumors SDC Is Tightening Outlaw Run's Restraints

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Rumors SDC Is Tightening Outlaw Run's Restraints

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Hey everyone;

Word is after the death on the New Texas Giant (or NTG) Silver Dollar City has taken the proactive step in their Rocky Mountain Coaster: Outlaw Run to make sure a death does not occur on their ride. The word around is that they are not allowing guests with a waistline more than 36 inches to ride Outlaw Run. What's your take on this move?

I have no problem with this. Outlaw Run is in my opinion the most aggressively designed coaster since the 1930's and if they have to limit riders to those who snugly fit into the restraints so everyone gets to come back then it is ok by me.

I'm glad a few years ago I finally got tired of the weight and decided to make the changes needed to lose it. My guess is there are a few enthusiasts thinking of a diet tonight.

Have fun!

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

jk1w
Over 52"

Re: Rumors SDC Is Tightening Outlaw Run's Restraints

Post by jk1w » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Well it is good thing I lost weight :lol:

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm OK with it (although I'm gonna have to shed a couple pounds before September) if and only if the ride is still comfortable to ride.
Bizarro at SFNE got new trains with tighter limits, but those simply do not fit my body well - and it has nothing to do with weight in that case.
That extreme airtime that used to thrill me and make me run around to ride again now just freaking HURTS.
Any time I'm dreading airtime moments on a coaster, something is seriously wrong.

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:39 am

I am 6' 3" tall and 275 lbs in weight. Believe it or not I wear 36" to 38" waist depending on the day. It looks like my new favorite coaster company is going to take a major hit due to the Texas Giant Accident. I will try to ride later this year, but if I can't, I will walk the Shame way.

While this will not discourage me to continue enjoying my hobby, I will not be surprised if this does not damage the parks attendance. While we are all devoted to our cause, not everyone shares the same enthusiasm. General Guests who visit a park once a year will probably not return if they are unable to ride the big new ride of the year due to totally unnecessary Rider Parameters.

I blame this fault on Rocky Mountain Coasters, while Gerstlauer built the trains on the Texas Giant and Iron Rattler, RMC had to sign off on the vehicle that traverses their tracks. The Trains on Outlaw Run seem to suffer from the same lack of foresight in design. I would highly advise that they return to the drawing boards and install a a vest belt system during the off season.

I have heard quite a bit of rumors that, H.R. 2861 (112th): National Amusement Park Ride Safety Act of 2011, may very well raise its ugly head. Ed Markey has been pushing this and with the current press, I think it main gain traction in the Congress. If this does occur, then all the rides that Invert will be required to be retrofitted to Over The Shoulder Restraints. This would spell doom to the trains that currently operate on their rides.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr2861

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT SUBJECT TO ME. This year I traveled to San Antonio, Dallas, and Branson to ride RMC's new fangled coasters. The installation of these rides greatly influenced my decision. If their solution precludes me from partaking of this activity, I will be much less likely to plan a special trip, due to my inability to enjoy their wares. I hope and pray that they will rethink their restraint design.

For those of you that say that seat belts have no true purpose, Think about that the next time you ride in your Vehicle. Seat belts are integral to a coaster as much as they are in your car. I personally believe that the Texas Giant Accident would have been prevented had a redundant safety device been installed. Vekoma installed a vest on their Flying Dutchmans, aka Nighthawk at Carowinds, as the primary restraint system.

By the way I will not use the NTAG moniker any more, but I do have a few editorial comments to make. That other web site/club has done a lot for the Industry. The first time I saw a picture of the webmaster was in Paul's Holiday World Raven Report. At that time it appears he had an entirely different Family, much different than the one that he and the Shark have created. I have watched a lot of websites prosper and sometimes die like THRILLRIDE, COASTERBUZZ, and COASTERIMAGE. But I always end up here, there, and SCREAMSCAPE.

http://www.coasterimage.com
http://www.thrillride.com/
http://coasterbuzz.com/
http://www.screamscape.com/

I credit Lance Hart, for leading me to this site. That was one helluva good link. This site is my personal favorite.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:30 pm

Without this going south into a TPR bashing thread (there's always rec.roller-coaster for that!), I'll say that from what I've seen on this site, nobody will be upset if you like that site or say positive things about it. The folks here just don't seem to be that way. People have different opinions on stuff and it seems like here it's OK to "agree to disagree".
I'll have to agree to disagree with you on that other site doing a lot for the Industry... I'd even go so far to say "more harm than good" but like I said, we can agree to disagree.
One thing I would caution you about, though: while it's fine and dandy to come to this site and say you like that site, I wouldn't suggest you go on that site and say you like this one. Seriously.

OK, back to the topic. I had for lunch some baby carrots, fresh cherries, a small bag of chips (170 cal), lots of water, and a bowl of cereal.
...and I'm STARVING. I burn off WAY more calories than that in a work day. Geez. Planning to have a bowl of soup for dinner and maybe a lot more water.

No Freaking Way am I going all the way to SDC in Sept and not get to ride OutRun!

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 pm

The simple truth, I hope, is that industry is now taking a new look at restraints and body type. It's not simply a matter of a lap bar being locked. We all hope that future deaths are prevented, while coaster riders of a "reasonable" size can comfortably enjoy rides. Engineers need to do everything they can to ensure that as many guests as possible can safely enjoy the thrills. Not that they haven't, but today is a new game.

Also, ride ops need to be better trained. I will say that when I worked EK at SFSL we were not formally told in training to not force restraints down on larger guests. However, after formal training, when I did do this, my lead said don't force the bar. I believe this was more due to a fear of injuring the rider by forcing the lap bar than them being ejected. At their request, I certainly tried to force lap bars down on heavier guests, and even took pride in being able to get the bar to lock. I would not do this again and it should have been part of the formal training. Times have suddenly and rightfully changed.
Greg

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:13 pm

I love this site and am one of the original members of these forums. I love Negative-G and this is really the only forum that I post on. The other site is a more commercial site, that offers more information and Trip Reports that I really like. I am a fan of their videos as well and enjoy their PR that they provide for the industry. I had never heard of ERT before I saw it on their site. But I had never heard of Holiday World till I saw Pauls Awesome 1999 reportage on the Legend Construction and was intrigued about this small independant park and their service. Thank you Paul for all the information you have delivered and for this great site. The other people are more commercial and less personal than this site. They also share personal views. that myself as a Southern Gentleman, do not represent the Values I was Taught by my Family.

That being said I joined these forums Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:17 pm, Paul started these Forums Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:07 pm. I am a proud member of this Forum and tell people at the parks about it frequently. They have always been populated by good honest and genuine folks. I will one day join up with Paul when he is at a park and finally meet Paul, Bond (who I have followed his growth through the lens of Pauls camera), and Carrie.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm

I was just reading Screamscape and noticed this from a post just after opening day:
Of course, with the launch of a new style train always comes some complaints, comments and some room for improvements. On the negative side, I’ve heard a few complaints about the placement of the “shin bars” on the restraints being a bit too tight, pressing very hard into riders legs. On the plus side, in addition to a smooth and comfortable ride, I’ve heard one reader comment that they were happy to see that these trains were much more accommodating to larger riders than other coaster trains.
Well, that's pretty much out the window now, isn't it?

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 pm

OMG I want to go back to SDC and ride, ride, ride, and RIDE this thing to death! One ride just ain't gonna cut it. For some reason thinking about the restraints makes it that much more real and just really makes me want to ride it.
And TC, you should write a diet book. :)
Oh and I also want to ride the Legend and see those beautiful trains for the first time!
Edit: I just found out that the Legend used to have Gerstlauer trains. Kind of ironic.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 am

If I wrote a diet book, it would be really, really short.

Well, hey, I might as well do it!

Ready?

(ahem)

Eat Less and Exercise.

That's not the title, that's the book.

You're welcome.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 am

TC, as a man who went from 360 lbs to 200, allow me to write your Foreword please:

Eat Healthier too. 100 Calories of a twinkie <> 100 calories of Cherries. Just sayin'...

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Luckily, I'm not a big fan of junk food. Never have been. I will have a fried Twinkie when I go to Santa Cruz Boardwalk, though, but so far that's only been once in 46 yrs, so no problem.
My biggest problem with eating healthy is that I really, REALLY don't like most green veggies. At all. I can do a salad with some decent stuff in it, but that's about it.
I like most fruits, but when they're out of season, they're expensive and not very good.

You know what I *DO* like, though?
Bacon.
Oh, and steak and a baked potato. With bacon.

jk1w
Over 52"

Post by jk1w » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 pm

TC10K wrote:Luckily, I'm not a big fan of junk food. Never have been. I will have a fried Twinkie when I go to Santa Cruz Boardwalk, though, but so far that's only been once in 46 yrs, so no problem.
My biggest problem with eating healthy is that I really, REALLY don't like most green veggies. At all. I can do a salad with some decent stuff in it, but that's about it.
I like most fruits, but when they're out of season, they're expensive and not very good.

You know what I *DO* like, though?
Bacon.
Oh, and steak and a baked potato. With bacon.
You know, I am surprised that there is not a bacon theme park :wink:

Be awesome to have a bacon roller coaster :lol:

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Speaking of bacon and healthy eating... have you tried Bacon Salt? It's a shake-on seasoning that tastes like bacon, but is [1] vegan [2] low sodium [3] kosher(!) [4] zero calorie [5] zero fat

Seriously, you haven't lived till you sprinkle this stuff on a buttered ear of corn...

also great on popcorn, burgers, salads, french fries...

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:22 pm

I might have to find some of that.
Life is short....have fun!