Top Five Wood: current and forever

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Re: Top Five Wood: current and forever

Post by Vonni » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:
TC10K wrote:I think somebody needs to re-read the title of the thread!
;-)
D'oh...brain fart there. My bad bringing steel into it.

Of course if this were another laughable forum I would have banned you for life for calling anything I say into question. ;-)

OMG I know right lol!?

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:28 pm

re: Wooden Warrior - it made my Top Ten this year. I went the day after ACE was there and the park was deserted. I rode it a LOT that morning. My experience on WW, however, was special for more than just the oh-so-fun rides on a spectacular little wooden coaster. Here's what I posted to Facebook that evening:

First of all, let me say that the Wooden Warrior coaster belies its small size. What a fantastic little ride! Because of small crowds, I got more than 20 rides in an hour. It's a top 25 coaster for me. If I get to specify row four, right-hand seat, on a full train, it might even be top ten. I haven't had that much FUN on a coaster in ages.

But someone loved it even more than I did. A 10 year-old boy was on the train with his dad. He missed the first two rides of the day because his leg braces make him very slow and he struggles to get around. Once in the seat, however, all of that disappeared. On the coaster, he went as fast as everyone else. On the coaster, the plastic supports on his legs didn't matter. He was just like the rest of us: huge smile, arms in the air, laughing and cheering. When the train pulled into the station, there was often an empty station and the ride operator would ask if we wanted to go again. Everyone did. Once in awhile, someone would be in line and the people in that row would have to get out and go around the queue again. Knowing the kid would miss a few rides making that trip, inevitably someone else would get up so the kid would just switch seats and stay on.
I rode for an hour, then got off to take pictures and head to the next park. The kid is still riding, still laughing, experiencing a joy he probably rarely gets to experience any other way. It moved me to tears several times and I sometimes forgot to savor my ride because I was watching this little guy have so much fun.

I sometimes see coasters as a separator, dividing the thrill-seekers from the calm-savorers. Today, the coaster was an equalizer, where even kids who have it tougher than most of us can fathom are our equals for a few minutes. They fly on rails with the rest of us, making memories that will last a lifetime.

I might not ever be the same, either.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Great story!

I was there with ACE this year.... fantastic ride!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 am

I was still in the airplane when you guys were there. I flew in that Saturday to Boston, then went to Canobie on Saturday (since I would spend mid-week with the fiancé who doesn't ride anything) then to Quassy and Compounce on Sunday before meeting up with the Con group at the dinner that evening.
Did ERT that night and the next morning, then met up with the fiancé for a few days in Boston (neither of us had been before) and caught back up with Con in Maine. It was a nice compromise: I got to ride all the coasters I wanted to ride and he got to see a few museums on his bucket list as well as take a historical architecture walking tour. Boston was a fun town.

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Post by violakat03 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:19 am

bratman wrote:You dumbass :wink:
Just so you know, I laughed for a good five minutes over that comment.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:17 am

violakat03 wrote:

If this were Facebook, I would "like" that a thousand times.

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 pm

bratman wrote:
violakat03 wrote:

If this were Facebook, I would "like" that a thousand times.
Haha, maybe it's time I got with the social media! :D

Anyways,

Top 5 wood current:
1.Shivering Timbers
2.Blue Streak
3.Wolverine Wildcat
4.Zach's Zoomer
5.Mean Streak

Top 5 forever:
Currently the same thing. :lol:
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 am

I'm guessing you've only been to CP and MI... but I still LOL'd at Mean Streak being below ZZ and WW.

I'd have switched ZZ and WW on my list - but I got really awful rides on WW when I went. I liked the layout, but got beat up so badly on it, I couldn't really enjoy it much. Hope to hit it again someday after some trackwork has been done.

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:32 pm

TC10K wrote:I'm guessing you've only been to CP and MI... but I still LOL'd at Mean Streak being below ZZ and WW.

I'd have switched ZZ and WW on my list - but I got really awful rides on WW when I went. I liked the layout, but got beat up so badly on it, I couldn't really enjoy it much. Hope to hit it again someday after some trackwork has been done.
That's not true... I've been to SeaWorld Orlando, Disneyworld, and Universal Studios Islands of Adventure.

But yeah, I HATE Mean Streak. And after going to MA on the second, I liked Wolverine Wildcat, except for when it turns slightly to the left after the first turnaround. WW needs a second train is what I say.
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:01 pm

My reply to this thread is slightly different. Please excuse my straying from the original topic.

Top five for sentiment:
1. Screamin' Eagle (Riding it in the 80s in the original profile and trains with buzz bars was what made me an addict)
2. Evel Knievel (the season I operated this ride was a blast and I will never forget the experience, but would not do it again)
3. Phoenix (If you don't love it, keep it to yourself)
4. Voyage (ask me why and I'll tell you, Shhhh!)
5. Blue Streak at CLP in the old trains (A classic with seriously scary airtime and no lap bars on the train I rode)

Top 5 for coasters design
1. Outlaw Run
2 Voyage
3. El Torro
4. Phoenix
5. Ravine Flyer II

disclaimer: I have ridden a modest 62 woodies. I have yet to ride Boulder Dash, one of the only "serious" woodies I have not ridden.
Greg

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Greg wrote: disclaimer: I have ridden a modest 62 woodies. I have yet to ride Boulder Dash, one of the only "serious" woodies I have not ridden.
62 woodies is not modest as there are ONLY 174 wooden coasters operating in the world.
Life is short....have fun!

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by tribar » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:58 am

Wow never realized it was that small of a number. 123 of those are in North America as well.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 am

tribar wrote:Wow never realized it was that small of a number. 123 of those are in North America as well.
America: We have the MOST wood!

USA!
USA!
USA!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 am

johnny.ink wrote:
tribar wrote:Wow never realized it was that small of a number. 123 of those are in North America as well.
America: We have the MOST wood!

USA!
USA!
USA!
And Waterboy is happy!!! ;-)

Also thanks Johnny for giving me a WWF flashback there. If you want to go all USA USA what about the Hulkster?
Life is short....have fun!