Most rides on a single coaster in a day

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Most rides on a single coaster in a day

Post by CptBeeble » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 pm

Here's where you post how many times in one day you've ridden a single coaster... if there are a lot, maybe just keep it to the top five or so.

Me:

Viper, SFAstroworld: 89 rides on July 10, 1989 (I remember the day because the park mgr gave me a shirt with the record airbrushed on the back - the previous record for that ride was 30! I spontaneously decided to break it - I could've gotten more, but it broke down twice and rained for a half hour. Also, lunch.)

Boardwalk Bullet, Kemah: 88 (last year some time)

Texas Cyclone, SFAstroworld: I'll put 70 - there were a few summers where I got at least 50/day, five days per week. I was the designated single rider seat-filler for a few summers. Rode it more than 10K times before it was closed (hence my handle)

Voyage, Holiday World: 50 or so - with the last 34 during nighttime ERT, never leaving the train. I was SO SORE the next day!

There are tons with 25+... basically any good coaster with a few hours of ERT at an event.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Re: Most rides on a single coaster in a day

Post by bratman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:13 pm

60+ rides on Shivering Timbers, for the 2006 Timbersfest. Most during evening ERT.

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 am

Hmmm...I feel like I'm slacking. 35 on Beast on a Sunday in October. That's actually a LOT of ride time though, considering what ride that is. :)

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 am

I don't remember how many but one Sunday back in 1988 I sat down on row two of Greezed Lightnin at SFAW and stayed on for six hours without getting off. The ride ops eventually roped off my row (Sundays were always dead there as folks are in church or with family) and just left me there.

Needless to say I felt those G forces for days afterwards but the park didn't give me a t-shirt like TC10k. :-(

I also got 60 laps on Voyage media day and for Anton Schwarzkopf's 75th birthday I took 75 laps on Indiana Beach's Tig'rr. A bunch of enthusiasts did the same thing and a book with photos of us doing that was presented to Anton as a belated birthday present.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:30 am

I did the same thing on Greezed Lightnin' on Mother's Day one year. I only stayed on for about an hour, though, because all the rides were nearly empty. I guess nobody takes mom to the park for Mother's Day...
We did an hour or so on GL, TxCyc, and Excalibur then went over to WaterWorld for the rest of the day. There were ELEVEN people at WaterWorld. Read that again.
There were literally about 4 times as many lifeguards as patrons. It was very cool, but sorta creepy at the same time.

A couple years after that, they began offering "bring a friend free" coupons in the season pass booklets that were only good on Mother's Day and Father's Day. It kinda ruined it.

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:34 am

During the Screamin' Eagle thirty hour marathon, I rode roughly 260 laps.
Greg

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 am

8 laps on Pepsi Orange Streak :|

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:05 pm

37 straight on ThunderHawk at Michigan's Adventure and 54 on Shivering Timbers. This was during this years Coasting for Kids charity marathon, that Draven and I did.

It wasn't too bad. Although it took about 5-10 times of that ball busting trick track to learn the timing and hop into the air when it hit so my balls didn't get smooshed.

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:27 pm

3 laps on Magnum. I've never marathoned a coaster before.
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Greg wrote:During the Screamin' Eagle thirty hour marathon, I rode roughly 260 laps.
I wish SFSTL would do another Eagle marathon as I'd love to ride that all night long.
Life is short....have fun!

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by tribar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:02 pm

5 on B:TR (SFGAm). I would rather make sure I get on everything I need to than marathon something.

jk1w
Over 52"

Post by jk1w » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:
Greg wrote:During the Screamin' Eagle thirty hour marathon, I rode roughly 260 laps.
I wish SFSTL would do another Eagle marathon as I'd love to ride that all night long.
That would be awesome, I never been in a marathon

The most rides in a day for me in a day was about 15/17 on Voyage @ HW, unfortunately that was when she was running rough, but my GF at the time feel in love with the ride so I had to suck it up, until I eventually told her no more :lol:

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:35 pm

OOO, I forgot about Screechin' Eagle at Americana. Err, LeSourdesville Lake, whatever.
Anyway, a rain storm came in and it was POURING, but there was no lightning so they kept the coaster running. Most of the time my partner and I were the only ones riding. We stayed on for around 3 hours, I think. There was water sloshing around in the floor of the cars and it was fun to watch the water hover, then crash back down on the camelbacks.

That's one of my all-time favorite coaster memories.

Maybe second only behind the time Texas Giant Fest was held in November and they had an ice storm the night before morning ERT (early 1990s). The tracks were coated in a thin layer of ice and friction... well, what friction? OMFG that ride was INSANE. It was about 28deg and they kept giving us hot chocolate. Lucy White (the Estelle Getty of ACE, RIP) was so covered in layers of coats, ski masks, and hoodies that she looked like a Jawa. I don't think she missed a single train out of the station.

After ERT, they told us to go home, since the park wasn't even going to open due to the ice. Totally worth it, though.

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Post by violakat03 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:55 am

50 on Gemini for the first Coasting for Kids in 2009. I had only had an hour of sleep so after 50 I called it a day and went out to the car to sleep for a few hours before driving the 3 1/2 hours home.

Second best would be 32 on Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend Bash 2010, and then 28 on the Voyage on a random Wednesday in 2009.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

killrnut
Kiddie Rider

Post by killrnut » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:37 pm

8 laps in a row on Phantom's Revenge, nighttime ERT at Kennywood earlier this year.

I also got 6 rides on Gatekeeper during media day.