Top "family" rides

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Top "family" rides

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:36 pm

There are a lot of huge, record-breaking coasters out there delivering plenty of thrills - as expected.

But there are also some small (and some VERY small) rides out there that are seriously fun and deserve some love. Some are even good enough to go out of your way to find... and those are the ones to list in this thread.

I'll start:

[1] Wooden Warrior, Quassy. Yes, it's small. It's also my #10 overall wood coaster. Seriously. Fun, fun, fun. Also airtime! Then more fun.
[2] Kingdom Coaster, Dutch Wonderland. I rode it under its previous name, "Sky Princess". Loved it.
[3] Runaway Mine Train, SFOT. OK, it's a bit ho-hum unless you catch an ERT nighttime session and they turn off the lights. Those turns are NASTY when you can't see them. Never fails to elicit screams and giggles and dozens of re-rides.

...and of course, Knoebel's "High Speed Thrill Coaster" - may it rest in pieces. The epitome of the "tiny coaster that kicks your butt".

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Top "family" rides

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:47 pm

1. Any Mangels Whip! These are just stupid fun.

2. The Riverview Carousel at SFOG. Not only has multiple generations of my family been on this when it was at Chicago's legendary Riverview Park but it's location at SFOG on top of a wooded hill in the middle of the park and ringed by rocking chairs is just perfect. I love to sit up there and chill.

3. Any S&S Screaming Swing. A giant backyard nitro fueled swing...stupid fun.

4. Any Swinging Ship. Again stupid fun.

There you go. What are everyone else's favorites.

Have fun?

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm quite fond of the Scooby ride at SFStL

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Vonni wrote:I'm quite fond of the Scooby ride at SFStL
Dark rides are good and throw a gun in there for a shoot them up game and they are even better. My fav dark rides are:

The Haunted Mansion
The Knoebels Haunted Mansion
The Flooded Mine
Scooby Doo

Have Fun

Paul

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:21 pm

i was actually asking about family COASTERS rather than flat rides, but hey it's nice to know about those, too

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Underground, Adventureland. It is awesomely themed, cheesy, and fun. Even without the scenery, the coaster jerks you around and up for great fun.
Any Bumper Cars, although the ones with a median aren't as bumpy.
Pepsi Orange Streak, as I really like to take a ride around the park. It is like a mix of a coaster, train, and sky ride.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 am

Woodstock Express aka Beastie at King's Island. This was one of the most memorable rides of my holiday. All they need to do now is take the trim brake off for a final burst of airtime...

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Family coasters ok...I'll go with:

1. The Whizzer at SFGAm - One of Anton's best coasters and THE coaster most of northern Illinois, Indiana and all of Wisconsin cut their teeth on. The ride flows perfectly and is insane fun even for adrenaline seeking maniacs like myself.

2. Thunderation at SDC - Best mine train ever. Sweet hillside location and you don't even hit the lift until the ride is almost over.

3. High Speed Thrill Coaster at Knoebels - Rest in peace you airtime machine!

4. Big Thunder Railroad at The Magic Kingdom - The most extremely themed mine train and really fun with a few pops of air.

5. Adventure Express at Kings Island - Yeah it should be longer but it still is a terrain coaster (which I love) and is a lot of fun with the most interesting themed ending of any coaster.

6. Cannonball at Lake Winnie. There needs to be a woodie on here and this out and back with plenty of airtime and classic charm is a perfect ride the whole family can enjoy.

7. Gemini at Cedar Point - the coolest racing coaster ever...despite the fact that after numerous tries I have not been able to hand slap Bond while riding (damn you Bratman!). Being able to race and come into contact with riders on the other train make this coaster fun. It is a must for any Cedar Point visit.

8. Cat Woman's Whip. A fun little Zierer coaster with a really hot statue out front. Purr!

9. Jaguar. A really fun and long as heck coaster that just meanders over a third of Knott's Berry Farm. Really was the surprise of our trip there.

10. Excalibur at Six Flags Astroworld - Part mine train part hyper this coaster is the reason we ended up with coasters like Magnum. It was a fun and fast mine train with some fun thrills and a killer helix for an ending.

Honorable Mention: Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland - This powered coaster through Wonder Mountain and past a dragon was the surprise of my visit up to the great white north. It was so much fun whenever we passed it we hopped in line for another ride.

Well there's my list how Bout the rest of you?

Have fun!

Paul

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Re: Top

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:Family coasters ok...I'll go with:

10. Excalibur at Six Flags Astroworld - Part mine train part hyper this coaster is the reason we ended up with coasters like Magnum. It was a fun and fast mine train with some fun thrills and a killer helix for an ending.
Paul
The pic is me, age 5, about to board my first-ever non-kiddie coaster, summer 1972. This is the coaster that later became Excalibur, when the "County Fair" section of the park was re-themed to "King Arthur's Court".
It scared me so badly that it was 1976 before I dared another ride. After surviving it, I went to the (then one-week old) Texas Cyclone. I was hooked.
Attachments
dfrollercoaster.jpg
dfrollercoaster.jpg (280.28 KiB) Viewed 4260 times

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Looking at that pic again, I notice two things:
[1] Long pants and a long-sleeved dress shirt in Houston in the summer? Of course, this is when folks still dressed up to get on a plane, too...
[2] OMFG, they just don't build stations like that any more.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:16 am

TC10K wrote:Looking at that pic again, I notice two things:
[1] Long pants and a long-sleeved dress shirt in Houston in the summer? Of course, this is when folks still dressed up to get on a plane, too...
[2] OMFG, they just don't build stations like that any more.
LOL or they dressed up to go to McDonalds like my Grandparents made me do up into the mid 1980's despite it being a block away.

Yeah Excalibur had one massive station. I'm trying to remember if it was all queue as it was so big.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:31 am

There were switchbacks on the ground floor, then a single line on the left side that went under the track. That led to a ramp to get you up to the upper deck, where you selected your seat.
The reason for the long station was the long trains... with room to stack two entire trains inside the station.

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Re: Top

Post by tribar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:Family coasters ok...I'll go with:

7. Gemini at Cedar Point - the coolest racing coaster ever...despite the fact that after numerous tries I have not been able to hand slap Bond while riding (damn you Bratman!). Being able to race and come into contact with riders on the other train make this coaster fun. It is a must for any Cedar Point visit.

This and Wildcat at CP. Don't know if American Eagle counts as a family coaster but if it does than that too

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:16 pm

I think the family coaster at that park is probably Viper and not American Eagle