Rest In Peace Tanya Regan

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Rest In Peace Tanya Regan

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 am

While getting excited about Worlds of Fun this weekend this morning I awoke to the news of the passing of Tanya Regan.

If you've been around ACE and the coaster enthusiast world for a while chances are you ran into Tanya and her completely infectious smile at some event or another. Bond and I ran into her at Coaster Mayhem 2009 at Worlds of Fun.

Brian new her and since she was flying solo for the event we welcomed her to join us for the day at Worlds of Fun. She was such a joy both Bond and I fell in love with her smile and laugh.

We showed her around, made sure she scored the Wacky Worm credit as it was a hard one to get back then without a child and just had fun. I have a very fond memory of riding Mamba with her and Brian sitting behind Bond and I for her first ride. Those of you in the know are all too familiar with Mamba's visual trick at one point in the ride that can surprise a few people. Well I made sure I was looking back at this point in the ride and seeing Tanya shriek and grab a hold of Brian was priceless. Like most of the time with Tanya there were quite a few laughs over it.

Brian was needing to score yet another coaster and his first coaster in the state of Kansas (he counts credits and has a count for the number of states he's been on coasters in) so the plan was to head across the state line into Kansas to ride a little Python Pit at a FEC. We invited Tanya and she came along for the ride.

Along the way Tanya and I discovered our love of music, especially rock from the 80's and as every new song randomly popped on she'd scream out the band name as we worked our way through the Kansas City Traffic.

At some point we passed a "Waffle House" and after she extolled how awesome they were she was absolutely horrified to discover that neither Bond or I had been to one. "This changes NOW" she demanded. So Bond and I were introduced to the wonders of the Waffle House.

As the day went on we rode and we laughed. Our night time ERT on Prowler was killed by a batch of violent thunderstorms but it was no big deal because we got to hang out with Tanya. I remember as we left Brian and Tanya behind to work our way back across Missouri before passing out Bond said "Tanya is cool". That she was.

We kept in touch and never quite got another day at a park together. It was a kick to the stomach hearing this morning that she passed. It's not going to be easy telling Bond about this after school but tomorrow when we're at Worlds of Fun we're going to be remember Tanya with a few rides, a few smiles and a lot of laughs as that's the best way to remember her.
tanya.jpg
tanya.jpg (163.26 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
Godspeed Tanya.
Life is short....have fun!

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Re: Rest In Peace Tanya Regan

Post by mikeau98 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 am

I didn't know her too well but I do remember her smile and laugh. RIP Tanya

DaveStroem
Kiddie Rider

Post by DaveStroem » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

The first time I met Tanya was at Holiwood Nights in the Voyage station waiting for the front row. We were both riding by ourselves and teamed up for that lap. Her laugh and smile were such a joy and I remember enjoying her reactions as much as the coaster. She had the most beautiful spirit I have ever met. Farewell my friend till we met again. :*

Waterboy
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Make me WET!

Post by Waterboy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 pm

My heart just plain hurts right now. We had been buddies for about seven years I believe.

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:32 pm

RIP Tanya

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Post by violakat03 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Tanya was one of the most amazing people I've ever met. I've often related stories about times spent with her, and I always described her as having "the biggest personality of anyone you'll ever meet." She was loud and proud, and her smile went on for miles. Every time I was around her, I spent most of it laughing so hard my sides hurt because of her unique ways of phrasing everything. She was one of those people that didn't have a mean or negative bone in her body - she loved everyone and everyone loved her.

I was looking forward to seeing her again this season as she'd been planning to make it out to Holiwood Nights. Riding the Voyage without her will be bittersweet this year, as I remember going out of my way to ride with her at HWN 2010 after hearing her description of Voyage when we were at Knoebels. I remember her saying (with her signature Tanya accent) "you know, I didn't really get Voyage until I rode it. And then we go over the first hill and I'm like ok, so what. And then we go over another and I'm like ok, I don't get what the big deal is. And then we turned left and it was ALL over. Tanya didn't know what the hell happened til we got back to the station!"

I still can't help but laugh at that memory, and all the memories I have of Tanya. Riding the train up the mountain and back with her at Coaster Con 2012 and imagining what Carowinds' reaction would be when they found out we'd gotten a private concert from Dolly. Sitting at Cracker Barrel after Knoebels opening day 2010, laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. Watching people on SkyZip at Coasterfest and hearing her relating her story of when she did it (once) and screamed the entire way across the midway. Getting to ride Voyage with her, and even better, riding her favorite coaster Nitro with her. Tanya will always mean laughter, fun, and a smile so bright it could light a room. Rest well, my friend. The world is darker without you here.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:01 am

I've been blessed to have spent several events with Tanya. If I remember correctly, the first was the Storm Tour in 2008 at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and Beech Bend...one of my favorite events ever. I can't think about Tanya and not smile, and anyone that has met her knows well what I mean. She was a one of a kind, and I will deeply miss her. Rest in Peace.