Classic Rides

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Classic Rides

Post by Spencerman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:21 am

I was watching a POV of the Pheonix at Knoebels and saw this. Do you know why older wooden coasters have a wierd structure at the top of the lift? And that they have a tunnel before the lift? It's a little strange/cool.
Last edited by Spencerman on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Old Coasters

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:28 am

I assume you're meaning this?

For some of the coasters the weird structure at the top of the lift hill is just for aesthetic looks while some might be to cover up the mechanisms at the top of the lift for the chain to kind of keep them out of the elements. Now about the tunnels before the lift those are to disorient the riders. Herb Schmeck, Prior and Church and even John Miller used those a bunch to disorient the riders. Good coaster design is very much a psychological game to work out the most exciting and frightening ride and a great way to kick that off is to get people all turned around and not sure where they are or what's happening like you can do with a tunnel.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 am

Oohhhhhh! I kind of figured about the sculpture thing, but the tunnel makes sense now! Wow, that is some clever thinking on the designers' parts. :) I always wondered, "Why have a tunnel when it doesn't get dark?" But that's cool!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:45 pm

The one at Knoebels does get dark and it has several turns in it so it can really disorient you.

Have Fun

Paul

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:04 pm

And this one on top of Blue Streak:

I think it was called the 'decorative cupola' at the top of the lift. If you notice, there are 2 little red lights up there. Every night at 7pm we had to walk out to the lift house and flick that "airplane light" on. How charming is that!? A 78 foot high coaster in a park that has (or had, back then) many other MUCH taller rides. But when it was built in 1964, it was the tallest ride - so they needed the airplane light. I really liked that they kept it. Added a touch more *charm* to the rides operation back then.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 pm

:lol: And now there is a coaster that's a bout 4 times taller! That is awesome! And yeah, I saw that, Paul. But some modern coasters have tunnels that are bright-ish. Or at least in the vids I've seen.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Don't forget the Venice Pier Bobs by Fred Church. The train was in a tunnel from the moment it left the station until the bottom of the first drop. Yep, even the lift was enclosed!

Oh, and then there were the Twister coasters built by PTC, where the entire ride was enclosed in a tunnel. :)

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:45 pm

^I look at that picture and it's like heaven! All those great looking coasters all over the place. And you know they had to be great fun classic rides... I bet some of those didn't even have locking lap bars. I appreciate classic seating and freedom on rides!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about the Venice Bobs. Although my fav classic with a Pre drop tunnel was the Rocky Springs Wildcat whose tunnel had several twists, dips and banked sections all to really disorient you.

Wasn't the PTC Twister that was totally enclosed at Cincinnati's Coney Island?

Have Fun

Paul

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am

I would love to ride a completely enclosed coaster! (Besides the Underground at Adventureland.) It would be so fun and exhilerating!

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:23 am

Paul Drabek wrote:Wasn't the PTC Twister that was totally enclosed at Cincinnati's Coney Island?

Have Fun

Paul
Yes it was. Lakemont had a Twister coaster too, but it wasn't fully enclosed.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:57 pm

What's interesting is Lakemont got rid of their Twister yet still kept the way out dated Leap The Dips. Honestly it's a miracle that ride is still with us.

Have Fun

Paul

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Thank the heavens though! I like the look of side friction coasters! AND that is also the oldest operating, which I find neat. :D

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Re: Classic Rides

Post by Spencerman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Have you guys been on a Rock O Plane? I went to Arnold's Park this year and rode it many times! It was AMAZING, but at times a little uncomfortable. It would be cool if a company, like Chance Morgan, would remake it with easier controls and more comfortable restraints. (Let's hope a commpany is reading this! :) ) Actually, are Rock O Planes or Roll O Planes still being made?

Waterboy
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Make me WET!

Re: Classic Rides

Post by Waterboy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 pm

CoasterDemon, I don't know you worked at CP in the past. What years were you there? WB