Smoothed out Cyclone

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

Sora
Ride Operator

Smoothed out Cyclone

Post by Sora » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:28 am

Has anyone ridden the Coney Cyclone since GCI tamed/meddled with/smoothed it? There's a nice video here with two POV cameras side by side showing the before and after results:

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Re: Smoothed out Cyclone

Post by violakat03 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:30 pm

WOW you can really see the speed difference in the two. With the retracking, the ride is several seconds shorter thanks to the increased speed. It also looks like the trim brake is either no longer used or used with less force now.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Just a heads up to those who don't notice/aren't aware...

The profile has been changed on the Cyclone's first drop. Re-tracking and re-profiling are 2 completely different things. Re-tracking is putting on new track while re-profiling is changing the shape of the track. They have done both to the Cyclone.

A few Cyclone regulars are quite upset about this. The bottom of the drop has been raised up a bit out of the "ditch" it used to be in - which isn't too much a big deal; the big deal is the "snap" going down the drop has been neutered. It's more of a "regular coaster drop" now. The CI Cyclone drop as we knew it is a thing of the past.

The 2nd and 6th drops also have great "snap" moments and we can only hope those won't be soon neutered as well. Some die-hards think this is the beginning of the end - of the Cyclone that we know and love.

I was surprised they went ahead and actually re-profiled that drop. It's a National Historic Landmark - but apparently that doesn't prevent the ride from being tweaked.

Some people were going on about how this is better - becuase the usually very slow first turn is a hair faster now. But that would have still been the case with simply the re-tracking. They didn't need to go and neuter the drop... Just my 2 cents.

Coney is run by Zamperla and corporate folks now; it's becoming very *safe* (not in a good way) and I wish they wouldn't take the Cyclone with it...
violakat03 wrote:WOW you can really see the speed difference in the two. With the retracking, the ride is several seconds shorter thanks to the increased speed. It also looks like the trim brake is either no longer used or used with less force now.
The ride's speed is also dependent on weather, weight/load, time of day, etc. etc. etc. The speed is always going to be higher when new track is put in. (they didn't need to change the profile ;) ) Not to mention its very easy to speed up a video by a few percents... of course they want to promote a "faster" ride.

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 am

Someone put up a new video a couple of weeks ago:

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Sat May 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Did they change the overall angle of the drop? Just curious.