Worlds Of Fun 1989/90

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Worlds Of Fun 1989/90

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Timberwolf *really* srsly, no joke, probably the best ride in the world when it was built. It quickly went down hill. My first ride was at night... not many reports had been out yet (remember, this was before the internet). So when me and my aunt got in the back seat and went down the first drop - we had a big surprise. It was odd to have near stand-up air time going UP the next hill in the BACK of the train. This was a serious ride - every hill had air time.

Coming up a coaster geek, by the time I got to Colossus, Texas Cyclone and Riverside Cyclone - they had all lost what they were famous for. I rode Beast for many years and experienced it degrade in thrill. So I'm always very grateful I got to Timberwolf, Georgia Cyclone and Texas Giant when they were brand new! I'm very lucky in that respect. Timberwolf in some ways had the edge over it's 1990 brothers in that there were no ratchet bars or annoying (and painful!) headrests (yet). GA Cyclone and Giant were a little more *treacherous* and violent (a good violent, not a painful violent) than Timberwolf; but Timberwolf was fast as lightning, smooth and had great air time on every hill. But that first ride at night in 1989, that's the best coaster memory for me!

Here are a few of my favorite pics, the rest are here (you don't have to be on facebook to view the pics): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 363&type=3

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Re: Worlds Of Fun 1989/90

Post by Greg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 pm

So glad to see this post. I visited WOF in the 80s and again in college around 1993 when Timberwolf didn't suck. Fun photos. Got any more Zambezi Zinger picts?
Greg

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Great pics Billy. I had to laugh when I saw that it was ranked #2 by Inside Track. The guy behind that publication got ran out of the community for taking folks cash and then never putting out a magazine.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:Great pics Billy. I had to laugh when I saw that it was ranked #2 by Inside Track. The guy behind that publication got ran out of the community for taking folks cash and then never putting out a magazine.
Well... that was perhaps one point of view of what happened. There is always more to the story.

^^Greg, I don't have many of Zambezi unfortunately. Just the ones on my facebook page. I know I have a couple (maybe 2) on ride pics, but cannot find them :(

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Awesome! So glad to get to see these! I miss Orient so much! I'm still pissed at them for taking it out! I never got to ride Zambezi Zinger. The first time I went to WOF was the year that Boomerang was new. Thanks for posting these!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:14 am

CoasterDemon wrote:
Paul Drabek wrote:Great pics Billy. I had to laugh when I saw that it was ranked #2 by Inside Track. The guy behind that publication got ran out of the community for taking folks cash and then never putting out a magazine.
Well... that was perhaps one point of view of what happened. There is always more to the story.
So what was the other side as all I heard was from the pissed off enthusiasts who paid their cash and never got a magazine.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Paul Drabek wrote: So what was the other side as all I heard was from the pissed off enthusiasts who paid their cash and never got a magazine.
Yeah, there was (and still is) plenty of knee-jerk/mob reaction to "what went down." Some issues came out then they stopped. I lost part of my $20 investment. Big-freaking-deal. I've been handed much worse cards in life.

Heck, I think the first few issues of Inside Track were free anyway. The people that complain about how awful it was to be robbed of a $20 subscription should spend more time at guest relations of Six Flags parks protesting $5 pop and poor capacities.

I find shoulder bars, $5 pop, flash pass and poor capacity to be light years more offensive and angering than losing a few bucks on a publication that stopped.

I've heard this and that about what happened, etc. I didn't follow it closely and it really doesn't matter. The guy/people involved did their best and it fell through.

As a society we tend to bash folks with out knowing the full picture. It's rampant and a cultural standard for us.

/off my rant. Must wake up and go to Great America!