Daredevil Daze 2012

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Re: Daredevil Daze 2012

Post by CoasterDemon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 am

Whats up with Boss? How can such a huge fast and aggressive woodie run so well?? It's still could use some rubber pads at the chassis/seat joint (is that possible on a Gerstlauer? Are they already there?), but I couldn't believe how non-painful it was. I heard people complaining about it, but I found it less rough than all 3 Holiday World coasters. I couldn't get enough of it... I got home to see a pic of the Boss' first drop on the back cover of the new Rollercoaster! magazine.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Paul Drabek wrote: Honestly after I get over the initial fear of hanging from chains no bigger than those in a backyard swing I don't notice the height much.

Have fun

Paul
this. I've been on that ride 5 - 7 times and it still gets me for that. Still super fun though...

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:20 pm

CoasterDemon wrote:Whats up with Boss? How can such a huge fast and aggressive woodie run so well?? It's still could use some rubber pads at the chassis/seat joint (is that possible on a Gerstlauer? Are they already there?), but I couldn't believe how non-painful it was. I heard people complaining about it, but I found it less rough than all 3 Holiday World coasters. I couldn't get enough of it... I got home to see a pic of the Boss' first drop on the back cover of the new Rollercoaster! magazine.

I do have to give SFStL props about all the work they've done on the Boss in recent years as it turned a dog of a ride into a Gem. IMHO if more people would get to SFSTL this coaster would rise up the rankings as good as it is now.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:57 pm

^Unfortunately, it's at a Six Flags park. I always said that about Viper - it's at a SF park AND it's a stupid/annoying (even RUDE) walk to and from the ride. Up until last Oct, American Eagle was a top 10 ride for me. It's back to it's old ways this year. There was a period where it was stellar - but consistency is a problem. And, it's at a SF park and that stupid walk to and from the ride. I don't even wanna do that annoying walk....

I was impressed to see 3 trains on Boss as well... on Sunday I think.

One reason I think Phoenix (the *little guy* in a list of top *big* rides) ranks high every single year is consistency of the ride itself, and ease to get to it; don't have to worry about long lines at that park. It says a lot that it is no where near anything but still ranks so high. Plus, it's at a place that treats their customers decent (again, a big consistency thing with any SF park.)

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:04 pm

I've noticed that Cedar Fair cares for thier coasters way better than Six Flags. With the exception of Timber Wolf. I dont know what they are thinking with that coaster lol!

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Vonni wrote:With the exception of Timber Wolf. I dont know what they are thinking with that coaster lol!
That was the single best roller coaster I ever rode. In April, 1989 :shock: It was very quickly rated #1 in the world. Went back in 1990 and some re-profiling (2nd drop) and brakes were added. It was still the #1 coaster though... Went again in 1995 and most of the bite was gone. I went in 1998 for the opening of Mamba and Timberwolf was barely a shade of what it once was. But for that first year it was incredible. Texas Giant and Georgia Cyclone were close behind - but Timberwolf had the edge with NO ratchet bars and NO headrests. There was air time on every hill including the twisting double-up into the brakes. The whole thing was baby-bottom smooth and fast as lightning. Including the helix. I have pictures from that year I'd like to get up soon!

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 pm

I would love to see them! Yeah, its certainly not its former glory any longer. I dont know if it could ever return to that or not.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Hey all - if you attended DD I grabbed alot of on-ride photos, and you may very well be in them. You can grab them here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6204510/DD%202 ... 202012.rar

If you want individual pics take the last portion out to DD%202012 and you'll see each pic individually.

Enjoy!

MTA: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6204510/DD%202012

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Great pics, thanks John. Who's the geek showin devil horns? :shock:

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 pm

CoasterDemon wrote:Great pics, thanks John. Who's the geek showin devil horns? :shock:
No prob - glad to share. No idea :wink:

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks for the pics. Here's one of Bond and myself in a spirited "elbows of steel duel".
9.23_0002.JPG
9.23_0002.JPG (208.73 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Have Fun

Paul

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 am

Aha! Elbows of steel! I would have thought they should be pointed inward?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am

Our inside elbows are doing battle as well. Bond likes to try to drive his elbow up into my ribs as I come down from some airtime.

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Ah yes that smarts! Brings back memories of little bruises on my sides!

I have a friend, Rob, who is slowly becoming a coaster geek, and I'm trying to ween him from sticking out those elbows. He doesn't get coaster riding yet. He still thinks I'm trying to "smoosh" him on fast curves (such as Viper at Great America). I'm trying to get across to him that THAT is ok - that's what makes rides fun.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:02 pm

SDStL-9-22-12-111.jpg
SDStL-9-22-12-111.jpg (136.34 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Here's almost the whole -G crew from DD 2012. CoasterDemon was too busy over at the Boss for the photo. ;-)

Have Fun

Paul