The End of Son of Beast

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

bradhig
Wood Coaster Rider

The End of Son of Beast

Post by bradhig » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:16 am

http://screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

Looks like they are going to get rid of it.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: The End of Son of Beast

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Good riddance...I say take those crappy trains (the originals) and attach them to a crane and use them as a wrecking ball. Or better yet...turn the ride over to us who ride it and let us give it a proper funeral.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Post by violakat03 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 am

I heard this rumor a few weeks back, prior to the KIC post, and I believe it. Ouimet isn't obsessed with records and coaster counts. See the removal of Wildcat as evidence, as well as the proposed removal of Diasaster Transport. Losing two coasters in one year to be replaced by a single coaster is something Kinzel never would have pulled. I have always believed the only reason SOB stayed standing after 2009 is because Kinzel was record-obsessed and wanted to have the only wooden hyper and tallest woodie record, even if it was SBNO.

Unlike the rest of you SOB haters, I'll be sad to see it go. I remember watching them build this awe-inspiring structure. It's the largest wooden structure ever built, and even with it's flaws, it's one hell of a sight to behold, especially up close. I'm glad I was able to go on the walkback tour in 09 at RWCW and get some photos of this truly amazing structure. Walking under the lift hill and looking 200 feet up at the train above us was definitely something special. When it first opened in 2000, it topped my list of favorite coasters and stayed there until 2006 when the loop was removed. I'll miss it screaming down the first drop, the insanely loud lift chain (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that really loved how loud it was), and it's overwhelming presence in the corner of the park.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I too am one of the few that will miss SOB and I agree the structure is something to behold. I wish I could have ridden with the loop.

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm

I found the loop and lift to be the only tolerable parts of the ride. Ok ok ok... the first drop wasn't bad, and the long flat section before the drop into the loop was smooth. I've been wrenched, snapped, banged around and shaken on many a great (and some not so great!) coasters. SOB was the only one I thought did real damage (short term) to me/my back.

SuperSonic333
Over 36"

Post by SuperSonic333 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:45 pm

RIP...
-Rich AKA: Sonic

stoogie
Kiddie Rider

Post by stoogie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 pm

I have a box of matches if they need it. Seriously though. The ride LOOKED fun.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

The End of Son of Beast

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm

stoogie wrote:I have a box of matches if they need it. Seriously though. The ride LOOKED fun.
Looks can be deceiving. Honestly whichever corporate executive decided to build the worlds tallest wooden coaster with the lowest bidder who also has been sued over each of their jobs due to poor workmanship and extreme roughness should be taken out and forced to dismantle their mistake a board at a time.

Have Fun

Paul

SuperSonic333
Over 36"

Post by SuperSonic333 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 pm

lol, nice. It sounds like that ride was..... bad... I guess I didnt miss anything.. :-/
-Rich AKA: Sonic

stoogie
Kiddie Rider

Post by stoogie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 pm

I agree 100% with you Paul. What I don't understand is why the heck did they go thru with the ride when they were having all the problems? Gasoline is good accelerant by the way to eat thur wood treaments :D

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I think a majority of coaster fans, when viewing the ride rendering years ago, could have easily told the park (or whomever cared) "Hey guize, this is NOT a good idea..."

If it had been a completely steel coaster - then OK.... but not as a woodie.

OrangeWhip
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OrangeWhip » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:17 am

I think they could recoup the demolition costs by selling chunks of the ride. I'd buy a couple to burn in my backyard. :)

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:33 am

OrangeWhip wrote:I think they could recoup the demolition costs by selling chunks of the ride. I'd buy a couple to burn in my backyard. :)
Or they could recoup some of the costs by placing the train in a games booth and charging for people to take a hammer to it ($5 for a regular hammer $20 for a sledge)?

It'd be a great way for SOB's riders to work out what the ride did to them.

BTW Long time no see Kevin. ;-)

Have Fun

Paul