Have you ever???

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

scooby305
Over 52"
Custom Title: The member formerly known as Scoobywoof83

Have you ever???

Post by scooby305 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:48 pm

So Friday was a first for me... my first solo theme park visit.. I kinda had it last year, but ended up making some new friends very quickly and had riding partners for the day. Friday however, I went solo the whole day. I went to SFA, mainly to get my pass processed, and wasn't planning on staying long. I ended up riding everything there and did a double ride on The Wild One and a triple on SROS. While it wasn't as fun as being with someone, it was still kinda cool. There was a certain zen to it. I think what also made it nice was that it was after a really busy/stressful week at work. So it was nice to blow off some steam and have some time to myself. Have any of you done this? and did you enjoy it as well?

I will add... Roar needs some serious trackwork. I've ridden it a few times over the last couple of years, and this was my worst yet. I spent most of the ride holding on and bracing myself from all the rattling and bouncing....

SuperSonic333
Over 36"

Re: Have you ever???

Post by SuperSonic333 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I went to SFGAm for Media Day for the first time by myself (only the X-Flight was running). But I met Billy (coaster demon), Paul and Bond and hung out with them for a lot of the day and that's when I found out about this forum -lol.
-Rich AKA: Sonic

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Sat May 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Is a good Offspring song :mrgreen:

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Sat May 19, 2012 11:46 pm

You bet I have been to parks by myself!

When I go to my home park (Great America) I really don't mind going alone. Then I can sit on Demon or Whizzer 10x or whatever, and no one says "I wanna ride something else!"

When I was up at Great Escape in NY a few years ago, I was alone. I think I left a bit early (man that Comet kicks bootay!) simply because I was kinda lonely :(

It's better to go with a good friend(s).

Ahhh... the day I spent alone at Americana in 1989. Rode Screechin' Eagle 64 times https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Post by violakat03 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:03 pm

I've done KI solo many times, though I almost always end up picking up a friend or two along the way. There have been a few completely solo trips though - like the morning I single-rider-sniped on the Beast for two hours. Never left the train! I've also done Six Flags America, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens and Six Flags Great Adventure solo. At BGE and SFGAdv I ended up picking up friends for the day, but at SFA and KD I spent the whole day solo. Both were pretty fun - I kept myself company by doing video trip reports of them, so it was like I was going around with all my friends since I was talking to the camera. My KD set came out really well. I'm planning a solo trip to Cedar Point some time soon too.
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon May 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Parks by myself, it's been a while but yes I used to do that a lot. Let's see I've been to SFGAm, SFAW, SFStL, SFKK, HW, IB, MAd, CP and Geauga Lake by myself. Of course with Bond riding is the reason I don't go alone anymore.

My worst park alone trip was at SFKK. I was stapled on Chang and ended up in intense pain as a result. SFKK people ended up taking me to the ER and it turned out to be a sprained back muscle. That sucked being a 5 hour drive away from home. Still all the other trips were just fine.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by violakat03 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 am

OK, Paul I think you beat my 'worst thing to happen on a park trip." I was on my way back from Busch Gardens solo when the transmission in my car decided to call it quits. I was able to limp it home (9 hours) with no reverse or second gear, but it definitely sucked.

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:15 pm

I've done a number of parks solo over the last few years. And I must say I have no problem with it. Of course it is usually more fun with a group of fellow enthusiasts.

Waterboy
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Make me WET!

Post by Waterboy » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I have done this alot like everyone else. I have always enjoyed my time by myself no matter what I am doing. Scoobie, I need to tell you about my solo trip to SFA as it involves an Italian fireman! HOT!! But he wasn't gay. :(

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Thu May 31, 2012 9:41 pm

I grew up part of my life inside CLP so I would hang around the park sometimes on my own.

Some of my days off while everyone is working and I am sitting in the disgusting dorms by myself I would get that urge for a Mellenium or Blue Streak ride and would spend some time on my own atleast until someone gets off.

Also did Waldameer and Geauga Lake on my own before, its nice going at your own pace and doing what you want to do sometimes.

CoasterJedi
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterJedi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I've never been to a theme park by myself. I live so close to SFSTL that there is always somebody nearby who wants to go with me and when I travel I always go with my husband, family or friends. I've gone on rides by myself many times but there was always somebody waiting for me to get off the ride. I think the closest I've ever been to being myself is when I went on a chior trip in middle school. I was in mixed choir but all my friends were in girl's glee so I went on rides by myself for awhile when they were doing their performance.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I still occasionally go to Canada's Wonderland on my own. Sometimes for an after-work break... or a final lap before they shut down for the winter. I have no problem with it.... sometimes the best company... is your own company.

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by tribar » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm

I did CP by my self for a couple hours

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:52 am

The only time I remember really doing a park by myself was a few years ago. I had an urge to ride coasters and KK was closed so I went up to HW. Overall the trip was fun and I got in several rides all the coasters but I missed the interaction with friends. Personally I prefer going with friends to so we can talk about rides and just enjoy fellowship.

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by violakat03 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:14 pm

I added Dollywood to my solo park trips list today. I got off work at 6 and Nick wasn't off until 8, so I spent the time wandering around the back area of the park. Got one ride on each coaster and then camped out at Thunderhead for the last hour. I think I got 10 or so rides in on it and had quite a bit of fun snagging single rider seats. :)