The New Texas Giant

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

The New Texas Giant

Post by illinois » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

It was an epic ERT session last night here at the ACE Con, with Titan and the New Texas Giant on the menu.

We left the opening presentations and headed over to the Giant, but we found that they had not yet exhausted the line of public riders. After 30 minutes, we finally made it into the station, and we later found out that ERT would be extended for 30 minutes to make up for it.

My first ride was second from the back, and did not disappoint. I honestly can't think of a ride with negative G forces as strong as this one, in particular a wicked airtime hill right before the block brake. It's not just that hill - there are many others spread out through the ride.

We headed for Titan for several laps, where they asked us to get off the train and re-board between rides for some reason. At first there was nearly no one on the ride, so we rode in the back a couple of times as well as the front. After having the blood drained from our upper bodies by the G-forces, people started pouring into the station, and we figured it was time to see if the Giant line had shrunk.

Sure enough, the late hour and one whopper of a ride had shortened the ride dramatically, and soon there were empty rows. After some rides in the second row (possibly my favorite), we were swapping seats and not having to get off.

After ~12-15 rides (I'm guessing, didn't really count) I had to get off for a minute. The tops of my thighs were hurting from hitting the rather wide lap bar, and I needed to stand up. (Had the bars been like on Magnum, I would have stopped riding after a few laps.) A full train pulled into the station, and they said it would be the last of the night. One person got off, so I couldn't resist filling that seat. For one more thigh-crushing excursion in the dark.

The only thing the ride really lacks is lateral forces. It's really smooth and fast, and has wicked airtime. (The negative Gs actually would give me a temporary headache!) The seats are comfortable and feature only a saddle-horn (like on a real saddle) to hold onto, which is sure to unnerve people who don't ride coasters a lot.

The trains look great, and the running train is much quieter than expected. They do make sure you are quite stapled and fanny packs are not allowed, but given the forces that try to toss you out of your seat, that makes a lot of sense, and they let you leave things on the platform, where drink-cup holders exist in large numbers. The plexiglass "arm guards" don't really detract from the ride, and keep your arms from hitting structural members, I assume.

Maybe Corey and AL Mike will also chime in here, as they were also there when ERT ended. -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

Beth
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Friends don't let friends pay parking!

Re: The New Texas Giant

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Gotta agree with Mike- serious pops on 3 or 4 different hills. And those missing laterals? They're because of the 90 degree banks!

There are a bunch of twisting drops that remind me of Evel, and three disco-lighted tunnels not unlike Demon. I was also really surprised about the length of the ride. There are 2 or 3 spots where you kind of assume you're done, but NOPE! There's more!

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Sounds like a wonderful happy hour ride. I'm headin' south.
Greg

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:02 am

Glad to hear you had a good time! :D So, the $64,000 question: is it better than the old one? I know I'm going to get shot for saying this, but from watching POVs of both the steel version and the wood version, the layout is really uninspired IMO. Where are all the unexpected direction changes? It's just way too many left turns followed by way too many right turns, a few wriggles, and then the brakes. Boring and tedious to watch. I appreciate that it's better when you're actually on the ride, but couldn't they have at least made the layout more interesting when they rebuilt it? :?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:11 am

Woodpecker wrote:Glad to hear you had a good time! :D So, the $64,000 question: is it better than the old one?
The old one was good for a few years (I got to ride it in 1997) but by the end it was more painful than SOB. The whole coaster due to crappy maintenance was nothing more than a series of pot holes. Honestly I'm surprised it made it around the track when Kevin, Greg and I rode it back in 2007.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

Post by illinois » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 am

Not sure if it's better than the old one because I never rode it.

I like the new one - managed 21 rides during ERT Tuesday morning and one later in the day. -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:23 am

Got home late here... so I will be brief...

New Texas Giant....

KICKS ASS!

CoasterJedi
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterJedi » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 am

Wow I gotta get myself to Texas!

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Unfortunately I didn't ride the original but the New Texas Giant is a great ride. I don't know if ejector air explains what you get on two of the hills.

Did have a friend who missed the original after riding New for a number of laps. Of course I think he rode before it got quite so rough.

Robbie
Over 52"

Post by Robbie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:52 pm

How would you compare the ejector air to that of El Toro?

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Honestly, remember really enjoying El Toro but can't remember specifics. Me thinks I need a return visit to SFGAd :D

BobbalishBobbus
Over 48"

Post by BobbalishBobbus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:06 am

It's been 2 years since I've been on El Toro but for what I can remember of it the New Texas Giant's airtime is quite similar though perhaps not as strong. It's similar in that it feels like you are being pulled from your seat! It was definitely an incredible ride and I didn't expect the new track work to be as great as it was. Also cool was the over banked turn. Hope to see more rides like it!
Vern vern vern vern

Swarthout
Over 48"

Post by Swarthout » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

I can think of about a dozen wooden coasters they can give that treatment to.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 pm

IMHO all of the Summers-Dinn coasters could use this treatment. Other than that maybe the RCCA coasters but no GCI's, CCI's, Allen, Miller or GG's coasters need this.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Swarthout
Over 48"

Post by Swarthout » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:06 pm

That would have been cool on Hercules going almost straight down heading into the water. I thought I had heard something recently about some Cedar Fair suit mentioning doing that to mean streak and that they're going to see how the texas giant ages first.