The Big Dipper will live!

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

The Big Dipper will live!

Post by violakat03 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 pm

We did it.

The Big Dipper has been saved.

woodpecker and I have been working very hard for the past few weeks, organizing logistics, finances, transfers, phone calls and at least 2,000 e-mails. Today it all paid off when the check reached the owner and he pronounced us the new owners. We have been having to keep everything secret at his and his agent's request in case the deal fell through, but today we were given clearance to announce it.

We are planning to carefully dismantle the coaster and move it into an indoor storage facility we already have arrangements with. We will be needing a lot of help with this project - donations in the form of money and services, volunteer labor, all manor of things.

For more information about this project, visit:
www.savethebigdipper.org

There will be an official press release within the next few days. I will be providing pictures as soon as I get them (I'm visiting the site this weekend) and will be running a blog on the website. So keep your eyes open for news, it will be coming fast from here out!!
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

beastbass
Over 52"
Custom Title: Bass and bass may be spelled the same, but they're pronounced differently.

Re: The Big Dipper will live!

Post by beastbass » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 pm

WOW! I'd love to try and get out there and help out with some volunteer work.

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

Post by illinois » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Wow.

At least now we know what Nick will be building in his back yard. :D -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by violakat03 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:43 am

Why does everyone assume we're putting it in Nick's backyard? :lol: He's not sure it would fit anyway. It'd be a tight squeeze if it did.

To be serious though, we are considering a very wide variety of options right now for it's relocation. We're also always open to new suggestions - send your ideas to info@savethebigdipper.org

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:20 am

I am impressed!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:27 am

Like I told Kat this is by far the coolest thing ever that has come about because of this little forum we have here. Kat and Woodpecker have some massive cahones and really stepped up to the plate and did what no one thought was possible. I owe both of you a beer when I see you.

So when does dismantling begin and when do you need Bond and I there? We have hammers and a minivan with plenty of storage space for whatever needs to be done.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 am

Awsome news!

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:37 pm

violakat03 wrote:We did it.

The Big Dipper has been saved.

woodpecker and I have been working very hard for the past few weeks, organizing logistics, finances, transfers, phone calls and at least 2,000 e-mails. Today it all paid off when the check reached the owner and he pronounced us the new owners. We have been having to keep everything secret at his and his agent's request in case the deal fell through, but today we were given clearance to announce it.

We are planning to carefully dismantle the coaster and move it into an indoor storage facility we already have arrangements with. We will be needing a lot of help with this project - donations in the form of money and services, volunteer labor, all manor of things.

For more information about this project, visit:
http://www.savethebigdipper.org

There will be an official press release within the next few days. I will be providing pictures as soon as I get them (I'm visiting the site this weekend) and will be running a blog on the website. So keep your eyes open for news, it will be coming fast from here out!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D I'd be glad to help transport or whatever you need!!!! :D :D :D :D :D By the way that freakin rocks!!!! Kat you and Nick are awesome!!!! Keep us up to date on what your plans are!!! How did you pull that off?

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Please, please, please have a Negative G work day!!! That would rock! Wow I can't tell you how cool that is! :D :D :D :D :D

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by violakat03 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 pm

First news story! From a Cleveland TV station.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_art ... 90&catid=3

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:46 am

Gump wrote:How did you pull that off?
Magic. :D

As Kat said, with a lot of hard work (on both sides) and a lot of luck. I must congratulate Kat publicly -- she came up with some excellent ideas, and I owe her a lot of credit. It's been great to have her work with me, especially as my geographic location means I am somewhat limited in what I can achieve on my own. In fact none of this would have happened without her thread, "Big Dipper will meet a sad end". Kat, if you weren't so far away I would be hugging you right now. WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Most of the updates will be on our website, and if you wish to donate financially, Kat has set up a system for handling paypal payments. We are working on cheques and other forms of money. It is going to take a while, but at least success is now within reach.

Paul, and everyone here, I must thank you guys too for this wonderful forum. Small as it is, it has achieved something great. Cheers ! :beer:

BobbalishBobbus
Over 48"

Post by BobbalishBobbus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:08 pm

wooooow....I dont even know how to react right now!!! I never expected this incredibly amazing news. I'm gonna be bouncing off the walls for the rest of the night!

Kat, I live about 45 - 60 minutes away from Geauga Lake, if there is anything I can do to help don't hesitate to ask. I totally support the idea of a Negative G work day lol.

Other than that...congrats, good work!, way to go!, thank you thank you, and so on!
Vern vern vern vern

Waterboy
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Make me WET!

Post by Waterboy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:55 am

This is wonderful. I grew up riding TBD and this is so exciting. Excellent work guys.
Brian

OrangeWhip
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OrangeWhip » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:30 am

This is great news! a -G deconstruction day would be pretty awesome.

Way to go, you two!

Tour2ma
Kiddie Rider
Custom Title: Just lookin' for one more Nickel-Night reride...

Post by Tour2ma » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:01 am

Waterboy wrote:I grew up riding TBD...
You mean The Clipper, right? ;) Even I'm too young to have known it as The Skyrocket.

I caught a few last rides during its last summer of operation at GL. Some memories are worth preserving.

Well done Kat & WP...

Paul,
IMO it'd be a great addition to the HW family of coasters.
More later,

Tour