TV Alert! Joel Manby CEO of Herschend on Undercover Boss

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

TV Alert! Joel Manby CEO of Herschend on Undercover Boss

Post by kidcoaster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:29 pm

CBS has announced that Joel Manby CEO of Herschend Family Group will be featured on Undercover Boss on March 28th!

kidcoaster
Park Management

Re: TV Alert! Joel Manby CEO of Herschend on Undercover Boss

Post by kidcoaster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 pm

"Herschend Family Entertainment’s President and CEO, Joel Manby is featured on the CBS Hit Show UNDERCOVER BOSS, Sunday March 28, 8 PM CST. Each week, UNDERCOVER BOSS follows a different executive as they leave the comfort of their corner office for an undercover mission to examine the inner workings of their companies.... See Joel at work alongside other employees at Silver Dollar City and The Showboat Branson Belle."

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:08 pm

I like this show and am really looking forward to this episode. Time to setup the DVR since I will be on my way home from DW.

kidcoaster
Park Management

Post by kidcoaster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 pm

beastbass
Over 52"
Custom Title: Bass and bass may be spelled the same, but they're pronounced differently.

Post by beastbass » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:04 pm

I haven't watched this show before. Maybe if this episode is good enough I'll have to keep watching.

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:10 pm

HurrayforHerschendbeingthefriendliest.

ps
my spacebarispossessed!
Greg

kidcoaster
Park Management

Post by kidcoaster » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

Michigan native hides his identity as an amusement park boss

BY PATRICIA MONTEMURRI
FREE PRESS

"Step right up!" The boss of an amusement park goes incognito -- to the amusement of his employees -- on the next episode of CBS' popular new series, "Undercover Boss."

Joel Manby, a Michigan native who helped launch the Saturn brand, sold Saturns from the showroom floor and ran Saab for General Motors, will be featured in Sunday's episode.

He's now the CEO of a Georgia-based company of theme parks and aquariums called Herschend Family Entertainment. On the show, he dons oversized glasses and a beard to hide his identity from workers who take tickets, wash the streets, run the rides and serve the hungry masses at the company's entertainment venues.

The show films corporate executives working in entry-level positions to gain a better understanding of the company's weaknesses and strengths. CBS says "Undercover Boss" has averaged almost 19 million viewers per episode since its debut after the Super Bowl. The show has featured the CEOs of companies such as Waste Management hauling trash and the top guy of White Castle flinging sliders.

"I never worked the front line jobs in the industry, and I really wanted to do it," said Manby, speaking by phone Tuesday from his Georgia office. His company operates venues in nine states, including aquariums near Philadelphia and Cincinnati and Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Manby filmed the episode last fall, working at several of the parks.

Manby, 50, grew up in Battle Creek. At Albion College, he played baseball and was the class of 1981 valedictorian.

He joined General Motors and attended Harvard Business School on a GM scholarship.

Throughout "Undercover Boss," Manby comes into contact with employees weighed down by personal hardships. He says the experience moved him and inspired him to improve some of the programs the company offers employees.

At the Silver Dollar City theme park in Branson, Mo., Manby got up at 3:30 a.m. to wash the streets with an employee named Richard. Richard, said Manby, reminded him of the work ethic of his own father, who lost a business selling farming equipment and struggled to provide for his family, ending up as a factory worker late in life.

Manby also worked as a waiter on a dinner showboat called the Branson Belle.

"I've never been a waiter and it scared me to death," said Manby. "I didn't drop anything. I really learned the value and how important tips are."

The recession, says Manby, has meant no raises for company employees, cutbacks to 401(k) contributions, and pay cuts for top executives.

"If you have a heart, and you can care, you tend to withdraw. You almost don't want to face the pain that some of your decisions are going to cause," he said. "You have to keep the company profitable or everybody loses their job."

Because of the show, Manby says, he can't imagine making decisions that will affect employees without seeing the faces of some of his front-line workers.

"Forget the TV part. I will definitely go out and put my uniform on again," he said. "If anybody gets the opportunity, they should do that."

Contact PATRICIA MONTEMURRI:313-223-4538 or

pmontemurri@freepress.com

EagleMan76
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: SFSTL Rides Lead

Post by EagleMan76 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Hey I'm recording it in 1080p as we speak. I'll post an update once I get it converted down to 720x480. I will have it posted on my parkstaffzone server. The domain name has expired, but it can be reached via direct IP which I will include in the post. In other words, once it is up it can be downloaded straight from my computer @ 120KBps.
ImageImage

EagleMan76
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: SFSTL Rides Lead

Post by EagleMan76 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 am

Let's see if this works.
http://75.132.0.217/undercover-boss.avi

EDIT: Please let me know if this works. If it does then I can use this in the future to share large files.
ImageImage

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Well it's currently downloading.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Robbie
Over 52"

Post by Robbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: a short convo in chat, I've uploaded it here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b3fgh03 ... r-boss.avi

BobbalishBobbus
Over 48"

Post by BobbalishBobbus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks a bunch Robbie...definitely an interesting show.

Clearly there is a reason that Herschend is doing so well. If only more CEOs could be more like Joel.

I loved all the reactions at the end of the episode.

I've never watched this show before but I might have to start watchin it now. Very cool!
Vern vern vern vern

CoasterJedi
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterJedi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:35 pm

I saw that one back in the spring when they first aired it. It was right before our spring break trip to SDC and we saw the kid he worked with there in the park. Pretty cool.