I wanna ride but the heights of rides scare me

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

bradhig
Hyper Coaster Rider

I wanna ride but the heights of rides scare me

Post by bradhig » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 pm

When we were at SDC I was looked at Wifefire and wanted to ride but the of height of it scared me as well as that weird third inversion turnaround thing. I rode several coaters at SFSTL years ago after playing with them in No Limits but not all rides work in no limits. How do you get pass the fear of heights?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: I wanna ride but the heights of rides scare me

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:26 pm

It took me a while as I am insanely terrified of heights but I figure once I'm locked into the car might as well just put those aside and enjoy myself. I also use this at work when I have to climb up in the racks (50 feet off of the ground) and walk around like a tight rope walker on some steel beams to fix something. Of course then I have a climibing harness on and a fall restrictor.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

bradhig
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by bradhig » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 pm

I have to try it them. After I rode the coasters at SF I wanted to ride more but didn't get the chance.

EagleMan76
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: SFSTL Rides Lead

Post by EagleMan76 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:13 am

Just remember that no matter how high the ride is, sitting in the harness is many times safer than sitting in a car at a red light. As far as heights go, try walking Eagle's lift, that's a real treat.
ImageImage

bradhig
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by bradhig » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:47 am

What do I do about any loose items in my pockets? I had my camera in my pocket and didn't know what to do with it.

diamondback09
Over 48"
Custom Title: Living life one day at a time

Post by diamondback09 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:23 am

If you loose them on any tall coaster, chances are, they are broke and not worth going after. But I have heard if you tell the ride op's, they might go look for them after they close.

As for your original post, I got a friend on a coaster for a first time who never rode coasters before by just getting him on. H e was scared out of his mind going up the lift, but by the time we were going down, he loved it.
I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside

Hikaru-chan
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Theatre Nut!

Post by Hikaru-chan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:52 am

^^ I'd recommend cargo pants, or hand them off to someone else. Don't forget fanny packs.

When I was younger, wow saying that makes me feel old, I use to close my eyes. A bit weird being that I'd have no Idea where I was going other than a few jerks this way and that, but otherwise it felt like a smooth ride in an open top car.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:44 pm

The only thing I ever lost from my pockets on a coaster was a camera on T2. The reason being is that Vekoma Inverted seats are open in the back so goodies can fall out of your pockets. But I do think that fanny packs are great as it's easy to twll where everything is.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

BobbalishBobbus
Over 48"

Post by BobbalishBobbus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:17 pm

My fear of heights kinda just went away with time...altho I never really had a fear of heights while riding because I knew I was strapped in and completely safe. Aside from this I do get a little nervous near the edge of a bridge or so but after numerous times of climbing around on top of the greenhouse I work at, I've gotten at least a little bit used to small heights.

As for pockets, I also recommend cargo shorts/pants. If you can attach anything to your belt loop, do that, and put everything else in the cargos...just make sure if your camera has a strap and you loop it through your belt, that you don't forget to loop it back through after taking pictures. I almost lost my camera at Knoebel's after forgetting to reattach it to myself.

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Cargo pants are your friend. I usually put everything in the side pockets and haven't lost anything. Other than the occassional freak out that I lost my phone, I usually find it in another pocket. If I could get in the habit of putting everything back to where I originally put it I wouldn't have that problem.

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:08 pm

I often get a fear of being rumbled as the ride makes me feel like I am going to be
thrown out of the lapbar, yes 'REALLY' intense g's at each sharp turn has got almost
no banking. :(

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Haha, what I had to conquer was not heights; not going upside down; but the intimidating look of Nemesis at Alton Towers and the Samurai at Chessington which looked like it would scare you witless. What both of these had in common was that I regretted chickening out, and of course I ended up loving both of them first time. When I'm at work and guests tell me they're afraid, I say "it's 30 seconds of your life. If you don't like it, it's short. Have no regrets."

Carpe Diem. :)

P.S. If you're worried about things falling out, buy yourself a bum bag. Then you can put all your valuables in it, leave the bum bag in a locker or in the station's bag cupboard, and board the ride in the knowledge that your items are safe. For the sake of clarity, this is a bum bag (albeit a really BIG one):

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 pm

Woodpecker, it's tow-may-tow tow-mah-tow. A bum bag is a fanny pack. Just that in the UK fanny means something entirely different than what it means here in the US.
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village