more problems for Son of Beast

Enthusiast coaster & amusement park chatter about whatever. If it's not about coasters & parks, it'll go to the garbage file. Keep it on-topic and flame-retardant, please.

Moderator: illinois

bradhig
Wood Coaster Rider

more problems for Son of Beast

Post by bradhig » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: more problems for Son of Beast

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:32 am

Bond and I rode it that day and when we hit the mid course Bond hoped it was over. When we finally hit the final brakes he declared that "Son of Beast sucks" and myself and everyone around us agreed.

I still think that it's going to be removed in the next few years.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:58 am

That would eliminate several records for Cedar Fair, which they tend to like. I'm still on the fence as to whether they will remove it or not.

Some of us enjoy a ride in the back seat of Son of Beast, so there are a few of us out there that don't agree, but rather wish it was still open...and trimless at the mid-course.

OrangeWhip
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OrangeWhip » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 am

At some point, I could see Kings Island cutting their losses. They would need to replace SoB with something though. Maybe a nice GCII like Prowler could be in the works.

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

Post by illinois » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:57 am

OrangeWhip wrote:At some point, I could see Kings Island cutting their losses. They would need to replace SoB with something though. Maybe a nice GCII like Prowler could be in the works.
It could be fixed. With the right company and trains it could be the outstanding ride it was supposed to be.

A GCI or GG ride would be cool, too. There's some terrain to work with in that area, with the coaster on the side of a hill.

Another interesting development is the new large steel coaster going into Kings Dominion. Looks like it has a cable lift like MF. Who knows what CF has in the drawing board for CP and KI in the coming years, and how SoB fits into that plan.

It's so difficult to predict what parks will do - people tend to look at what's going on currently, when in reality decisions have been made and contracts signed several years ahead of the ride showing up or disappearing. -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 am

illinois wrote: It's so difficult to predict what parks will do - people tend to look at what's going on currently, when in reality decisions have been made and contracts signed several years ahead of the ride showing up or disappearing. -Mike
And sometimes there are decisions that are made on the spur of the moment due to being over-budget etc. That does sometimes play a part into things and plans change.

Translation of the above statement: Mike is exactly right...you really can't accurately predict what parks will do.

Personally, I could see a lot of different things happening at KI, but whether they actually occur will remain a mystery until they actually happen.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 am

I think to fix it would be cost prohibitive since it was built by RCCA. Well technically it was built by one of RCCA's subsidiaries that was set up so that once they were sued they could cut their losses and not really get hurt. IMHO RCCA is the Yugo of the coaster industry. Yeah you could have Mercedes Benz replace the engine but it'd still be a Yugo.

Fix it with a match and start a new is the best option.

Have Fun

Paul

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:08 pm

I guess I am in the minority but I enjoy the ride. Do I want to ride back to back to back, no. Maybe it is because I don't get to KI often.... or maybe I am just crazy like that.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:19 pm

mikeau98 wrote:I guess I am in the minority but I enjoy the ride. Do I want to ride back to back to back, no. Maybe it is because I don't get to KI often.... or maybe I am just crazy like that.
Fun &

That's ok. Just think of it this way since a bunch of us don't like SOB that's less of a wait for you.

Have Fun & Welcome to the -G Forums.

Paul

KSKev
Kiddie Rider

Post by KSKev » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Wow, I had no idea. My family & I visited KI for the 1st time on June 28 & 29 and wondered why SOB was closed both days. Disappointed but maybe a good thing we missed riding SOB

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:58 am

KSKev welcome to the forums. Also you didn't miss anything with SOB. Heck about half the way through it he asked if it was over. SOB is the first coaster he has ever completely disliked.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you here.

Have Fun

Paul

Bogeybo
Kiddie Rider

Post by Bogeybo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:01 am

I liked SOB when it first opened...when the mid course brake run had no effect on the ride, and the loop was there...but now I think its fallen apart enough, and caused enough injuries that it will have to be taken down sometime in the near future...Hopefully it will be replaced with something much much better

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm

They should replace SOB with an intense TGG coaster and call it The Mother-in-law.
Greg

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

Post by PKIDelirium » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:56 am

The SOB merchandise is being fire-sale'd on the patio of the DB Trading Post for $5. They didn't even do that in 2006 when it had the accident and was down almost a year. Take that for what it's worth.

OrangeWhip
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OrangeWhip » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 pm

PKIDelirium wrote:The SOB merchandise is being fire-sale'd on the patio of the DB Trading Post for $5.
$5 is too much for SoB merchandise. Even if they were paying me $5, it's still not enough for me to wear a SoB t-shirt. ;)