Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

You can't talk coasters ALL the time. Here's the spot for everything else.

Moderator: illinois

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Some of you have heard me mention absinthe in the chat sessions. Here's my first blog entry about it:

http://coasterguyonline.com/absintheblog/

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:38 am

That was a really cool article. While I am not inclined to up the investment in order to drink it I would like to try a glass or two sometime.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:41 am

Agreed that the entry price is steep, especially if you don't even know whether you'll like the stuff or not, but you only drink it one ounce at a time (with four additional ounces of water added) and you get seriously buzzed on not very much of it due to the high alcohol content. So a bottle will last awhile.

What city do you live in? I'll poke around and see if there are any decent places to try it by the glass.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:05 am

OK, Paul... here's a place in St Louis touting itself as an absinthe bar.
http://www.absinthe-places.com/places/a ... ar-at-lola

They have several brands, most of which are crap... hopefully their bartenders are more informed about absinthe than the guy who buys their inventory.

They have:
Infused flavors. Avoid like the plague.
NV Absinthe. This is a liquer flavored with anis. Not even real stuff.
Mata Hari. Comes in a screw-top bottle rather than corked. 'Nuff said. Likely to make you swear off the stuff after one sip.
Le Torment Vert. Seriously nasty stuff. Seriously.
Absente. At least this is real absinthe, but it's artificially colored and weak.
Pernod. Some bars mistakenly serve regular Pernod instead of Pernod absinthe. The bottles are almost identical. Considering the crap lineup of brands on this list so far, I wouldn't trust them.
La Fee. Another artificially colored one, this one is neon green. I will admit that I rather like this one, though. Good "starter" absinthe.
Lucid. Another good starter. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing spectacular, either.
Grande Absente. This was my first brand. Artificially colored and STRONG. I liked it then, but since my palate has matured, I can't drink the stuff now.

All of the above is rather depressing for a bar that touts itself as an "absinthe bar." However, they completely redeem themselves with their last one:
St George Verte. This is my favorite absinthe out of the 17 brands I've tried so far. It's complex, potent, and a bit eccentric. I would suggest starting with Lucid to give you a good sense of what a "normal" absinthe tastes like and then have a St George to see where it can go in the hands of a skilled distiller with a good imagination.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 am

TC10K wrote: What city do you live in? I'll poke around and see if there are any decent places to try it by the glass.
I don't live in a city...look at a map and find the point where Illinois, Iowa and Missouri meet and I am about fifteen miles due east of that point. Yep it's in the middle of nowhere so yeah I'd have to go to STl to give it a try.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 pm

I found (to my delight) that St George was the go-to absinthe of the bars in the PacNW. It's practically local up there, so I understand that. I also found (to my dismay) that when I'd order one, the general response was "how would you like that? Neat or on the rocks?"
Sigh.