Kings Island-Kentucky Kingdom-Holiday World

Questions about the parks you'd like to go to on vacation - What's nearby? Where will you eat? How are the rides? Get your answers here!

Moderator: illinois

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Kings Island-Kentucky Kingdom-Holiday World

Post by skywalker13 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:35 pm

I was thinking of taking a mini trip to these 3 parks this May. I guess it will probably be the first week that school is out in the area. How are the crowds during this time? I was also hoping to get some advice for lodging. Should I stay in a central place like Louisville or travel from city to city. Any advice is appreciated.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Kings Island-Kentucky Kingdom-Holiday World

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:20 am

It shouldn't be too packed. I would try to work either HW or KI on a weekday. As for where to stay that all depends on which direction you are coming from and if you are going to be too tired after hitting a park all day to want to drive an hour or hour and a half to the next hotel.
Life is short....have fun!

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Post by skywalker13 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:00 pm

I was going to fly in from Boston. Unfortunately the flights are a little expensive. KI is my big concern because I know that it can get a little crowded. I was also wondering about the crowds at KK since they are debuting their new RMC coaster. I was thinking of staying in Louisville and making that my home base and going from there.

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Post by skywalker13 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:07 pm

By the way Paul have you had a chance to visit Kentucky Kingdom since it has reopened?

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Since the closure, I have only been to KK for a short time, and it was the day before they reopened for the first time as a part of ACE's spring conference, so I'm no help whatsoever on that one. (That said, I'll remind you that Thunder Run only has one train, so it's miserable if it develops a line.) Kings Island on the other hand, well...I think I'm qualified to help. :)

You will find that Saturdays are often still very busy even during that time of the year. Your best bet is hitting the park on a weekday, as has already been mentioned. It can still be hit or miss depending on what the park has going on. Frequently a Friday, especially if there is a Music in the Park day, math and science day, or combination of both, can be just as busy as a Saturday. Sundays however are frequently not bad at all in May. If you can't hit it on a weekday, I'd go for a Sunday. I would save The Beast for the end of the day. If it's a 10pm close, the ride will shut down at 9:45 for the nearby fireworks at 10. The fireworks signal the line to close, and after they have checked the ride for any debris or other trouble, they will reopen at around 10:15 to cycle everyone through. This delay promises a night ride as long as nothing unforeseen causes problems. Regardless, it runs much better in the evenings, and night rides are always the best. You should plan to hit X-base (Firehawk and Flight of Fear) at the beginning of the day. This area will develop ridiculous lines and keep them all day. Banshee will never usually build to a long line due to good capacity. Save the rides with guaranteed short lines - The Bat, Adventure Express, Vortex, The Racer - for the afternoon when all the lines are at the peak. The lines in Planet Snoopy and even Backlot Stunt Coaster will slack off toward the end of the day.

Holiday World - it doesn't really matter. The lines will almost always be nothing or next to it by the later afternoon. Beware though, they are a HARD CLOSE park. If they have a 15-minute wait for a ride, they will close the line 15 minutes early. Do not wait to ride your favorite last.