SFNE, SFGA, etc! Aug 16-20th! Help!

Questions about the parks you'd like to go to on vacation - What's nearby? Where will you eat? How are the rides? Get your answers here!

Moderator: illinois

GsAreFun
Kiddie Rider

SFNE, SFGA, etc! Aug 16-20th! Help!

Post by GsAreFun » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I am planning my first real coaster trip. I am arriving Friday August 16 at 12:30pm, leaving Tuesday at 5:30 in at Newark EWR.

I would like to hit SFNE, SFGA and other smaller parks like Lake Compounce, Quassy perhaps Coney island.

I am getting some help from TC10k since he has done a lot of trips but wanted to swing by advice here.

For those of you familiar with the area, please help me come up with a travel plan. I will likely be able to get us a flash pass for one of the six flags parks. I have to be back in Newark on Tuesday in time to get to the airport, etc, will there be anything to do before then on Tuesday in that area? We have SF gold passes for the SF parks otherwise - we can use ACE benefits were applicable.

Initially I had only two full days planned and it was like this:

Arrive go to Quassy and Lake compounce, then drive back to SFNE. Next full day SFNE and drive to SFGA. Next full day SFGA with flash pass most likely. Now I have an extra day to do more parks etc.

Any sugggestion or advice appreciated. I've not been to ANY of the parks on that side of the country, so all are options.

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Re: SFNE, SFGA, etc! Aug 16-20th! Help!

Post by tribar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Hershey is a good park

GsAreFun
Kiddie Rider

Post by GsAreFun » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:06 pm

http://goo.gl/maps/TwxpH

So far I have this mapped out. I need to figure out what is feasible, which days to do them, or to change any of these parks, order of parks, etc. Perhaps it would be better do so something like what I have planned out in reverse order?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:08 pm

If you can hit Compounce at night do it as Boulder Dash in the dark is amazing. With a FP you can easily do SFGrAd in half a day and squeeze in some time at Coney Island.
Life is short....have fun!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:09 pm

If you hit Coney make sure to eat at Nathan's as it is a landmark. Actually you could do Coney in the morning when it all opens up (get there early) then at 1 go to SFGrAd and do the flash pass thing for the rest of the day.
Life is short....have fun!

GsAreFun
Kiddie Rider

Post by GsAreFun » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:52 pm

With the help of TC10k I have this plan in mind. I have to make hotel reservations tomorrow and the dates are changed, but Ive already bought plane tickets, car rental for 15th through 20th. This is what I have planned, if you think I can put any extra time into locations (hints for getting to Coney Island, traffic tips, etc) lmk. I'm using google maps to plan it out and will post a link here if it allows.

Here is a rough sketch...

Thursday 15th
Arrive 12:00 Newark. Get Rental, Drive to SFGad. I already bought us Flash Gold Pass (TC10k said dont do platinum gold is fine?)
Do SFGad with Flash pass. Stay at a hotel within near or within 1.5 hours of (on way to)

Friday
Finish driving (or start driving by 6am from SFGad) and get there by open to SFNE (with Flash pass?). Friday night Quassay and Compunce. Stay motel 6 (ACE discounts yay!) near there.

Saturday
Get up early drive 5 hours to Six Flags America. Use our gold season passes to enjoy the park even if we get there at 2-3pm.
Undecided to drive that night to next destination or wake up early and go to

Sunday
Kings Dominon - Stay at park all day then drive to

Monday - Busch Gardens
^^^^^^^^^^
or vice versa? Which park is better to do on Sunday and which on monday? They are only an hour apart and Ill be backtracking that hour either way at some point.

Tuesday - Drive back to Newark (Coney island if time?) Plane leaves at 5:30 pm.

EDIT: A rough Google Map plan without hotels.
http://goo.gl/maps/9dBB7
Last edited by GsAreFun on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GsAreFun
Kiddie Rider

Post by GsAreFun » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Flash Pass question...

I've just realized I have to turn im the Flash Pass voucher I bought by noon, which means we won't have it turned in time on the 15th for SFGad since we wont be there until about 2pm. It doesn't say we will be denied, but it says they can not guarantee it will still be available. Anyone ever deal with this situation before?

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 pm

So you are doing SFNE, Quassy and Compounce in a single day. That is ambitious. I guess if you planning just to run in and get each credit then it might be doable. I would prefer to spend more time enjoying the parks.

As for which day to do BGW or KD, not sure it will make a huge difference. You have more credits to get at KD so keep that in mind. Since KD's hours are the same, I'd do BGW on Sunday since it open longer.

No idea about the flash pash voucher stuff.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:41 am

I got a text from him yesterday. His flashpass voucher was apparently good, but El Toro is down. I told him that night rides on Boulder Dash should make him forget all about missing ET.