2014 Ideas

Questions about the parks you'd like to go to on vacation - What's nearby? Where will you eat? How are the rides? Get your answers here!

Moderator: illinois

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

2014 Ideas

Post by Raptor29 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am

My family has decided to not go to Cedar Point next year, and has decided to go camping up in the Upper Penninsula. However, my dad and I still want to spend a day or two at a park.

These are the parks we've been talking about:

Carowinds
Kings Dominion
Kings Island
Valleyfair
Dollywood
SFStL
SFGA

I was wondering if you guys could help me narrow it down a bit. Thanks!
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Re: 2014 Ideas

Post by DresdenOberst » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 am

I have been to Carowinds, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, SFGA, SFSTL, Cedar Point, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Silver Dollar City, and Dollywood this year. I would go to Kings Dominion first, as it was the second most pleasant park I visited this year falling just behind Busch Gardens Tampa.

I had a great time at SFGA Gurnee, we were there July 4. Other than two Juveniles, who shared Travon Martin's zeal for law and order, but were of the Female persuasion, cutting in line for Raging Bull. One of these IDIOTS attempted to push through my wife and she grabbed the railing barring her progress. She used the same old line that their cousin was holding there place in line ahead of us and pushed through and got past my wife Sandy. Sandy then made a comment that if they could read they would know what they were doing was wrong. That little witch then tried to play the race card. I then took the Liberty to recite the text on the sign, as it was obvious that these individuals were the product of the Public School System of Chicago and may have not had the opportunity of being educated in English and had instead been Schooled in the finer points of Ebonics. We did not relent pointing out that they had jumped in line and that was wrong. When we got to the fast pass entrance there were at least 12 people waiting in that line. As we stood there I Queried them as to how much they had invested in the Flash Pass, and then pointed out the 2 females, relaying back to the people in the flash pass line that they have wasted there money and should instead take the proscribed actions of those individuals. The rest of the day had to not be enjoyable to them as we had thoroughly Shamed them the entire time we waited in line. Too bad they did not wait the additional 45 minutes that we had been in line additionally.

Parks should police their lines better if they are going to upcharge a line jump mechanism, Otherwise they are fraudulently selling a promise without ensuring that the customer will benefit from their purchase.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks Dresden, but I think my parents have decided to take us to PA next year.
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:15 am

OK, I'm pissed. CoasterZombies are doing a week-long trip to Mexico including SFMex and the Schwarzkopf Bullet. Unlike many group trips, this one was sandwiched perfectly between two weekends... I have to schedule my vacation time as a full week, M-F, and can't take individual days. I also have to post all of 2014 vacation before the end of October 2013. This trip worked out perfectly! I put in for the week of Oct 19-25 and got it! WOO HOO!

But now the dates have been changed. It's now Oct 20-28. I'd have to take a whole extra week of vacation just to get that final Mon/Tue of the trip... but it's too late to change my dates anyway. I'm screwed. I'd love to go to Mexico and hit all those parks, but I don't speak/read Spanish, I don't have time to plan/coordinate all of that, I don't feel comfortable traveling by myself in a country where I can't speak the language, and frankly I've driven in Mexico before and it's not something I want to do ever again. So the CZ trip is shot to hell for me.

So now I'm faced with a week of vacation that was going to be a coaster blowout in October, with no place to go.

Where can I get a lot of coastering done in mid-October? Many of the parks are weekend-only at that time, so that leaves mainly the coastal tourist meccas, I guess.

I suppose I could do Orlando (I've been meaning to go back) but I'm not sure I want to endure the crowds that will slam the places during Halloween season. Are the parks crowded during the day in Oct, or just at night for the special Halloween events?

My other option is to move a planned trip in June (the fiancé and I were going to drive up into the Ozarks and visit Hot Springs, Branson, etc). SDC is open Wed-Sun that week, so I could still get that park in next year as planned. So if we do the Ozarks in October instead of June, that frees up June for a coaster blowout trip. I could do Wisconsin Dells, SFGAm, MI, Hershey, CP, etc... but I was already going to do the SpringCon, which lands me right there at KI/KK/BB already next year.

Crap.

Anyone awake enough to be thinking outside the box? What are some other options?

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:38 am

OK, after one cup of coffee, I've thought of a different idea. Since the CZ trip flies into/out of Mexico City, I guess I could go down there on my own and do the last two parks (presumably SFMex and Chapultepec) by myself, then meet the group when they arrive. That would mean bailing out of the group three days before the end of the trip, which can be "iffy" depending on how close the trip is to Mexico City on the day I'd need to leave... AND it would mean paying full price for a partial trip, plus the added expense of adding the two parks myself. Nah, that doesn't sound like a great idea after all. Nevermind.

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:38 pm

That really sucks that your job is so strict when it comes to time off

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:39 am

....and now the dates of that trip are once again sandwiched between two weekends. YAY!!!!

But the week was changed. I already put in for the time off based on the original dates and I can't change them now.
I'm screwed. The trip starts and ends the week after my vaca.

SO: current plans are to switch my June trip to the Ozarks with the fiancé and the October trip to Mexico.
We'll do the Ozarks in October and I'll spend that week in June riding coasters somewhere.

I really, really, REALLY wanted to do that Mexico trip. :-(

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:34 pm

This is what I'm thinking trips for Draven and I this year...

Unlike years past I will not try to go "crazy" and plan what should be doable... :lol:

Individual Park Trips
Six Flags Great America (home park)
Six Flags St. Louis
Indiana Beach
Coasting for Kids - Kings's Island

Trips
Minnesota - Mall of America and Valley Fair, Adventure Falls for Hellcat & Little Ammericka
ACE Spring Conference - Beech Bend, Kentucky Kingdom & King's Island (with possible extension trip to cedar Point with the Gump clan)
-G Labor Day Trip - Kentucky Kingdom, King's Island, Stricker's & Camden

Possible?
Opening Weekend Campout at Worlds of Fun (if they do it this year) with Paul and Bond
Cedar Point Halloweekend's (got hooked on their Halloween stuff last year at WoF)
Magic Springs - They keep talking about taking out X the Coaster, and since the only other one is in Germany, I may have to make a special weekend outta going there with Draven.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:46 pm

a friend and I made the drive from Arlington to Hot Springs and back in between film shoots at SFOT so he could ride X-coaster before it left.
That was last year, lol.

Seriously, it's worth doing AND it's a nice little park.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks Tc. Yeah, I read that as well, but it's back. I may see about getting a couple guys and doing a road trip this year...

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am

Ok here are my tentative plans:

Kiddie coasters in a couple of weeks before the No Coaster Con.

SFGAM and KI for Goliath and Banshee media days if I can get into them (anyone hears anything about these post the info here).

Several runs to SFSTL including Daredevil Daze

Several runs to SFGAM

Darien Lake/Seabreeze/La Rhonde/The Great Escape/Quassy/Six Flags New England/Lake Compounce/Knoebels for Carrie, Bond and my big family trip out east to go to Bratman's wedding and to see a friend in Hartford.

Strickers/Kentucky Kingdom/Kings Island/Camden for the -G 2014 Road Trip

Coasting for Kids at Worlds of Fun

Some sort of a -G get together at Indiana Beach because that would just rock.

Maybe a -G winter time Mall of America trip next winter.

So it should be a pretty good year especially with 4 new parks added to my list and hitting my 400th.
Life is short....have fun!

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:47 pm

ooo MOA sounds interesting.....

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Yes it does, and that is actually a trip that could be feasible for me to join!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm in for a MOA weekender... just not so far into winter that flights get canceled.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:07 am

The idea into a MOA weekend might be to do it at the end of February...far enough out where winter will be mellowing out. What's nice is Bond, myself and others can come up in my van while others could fly in as the airport is right across the expressway from MOA and there are tons of hotels there with shuttle service.
Life is short....have fun!