East Coast Business* Trip

Questions about the parks you'd like to go to on vacation - What's nearby? Where will you eat? How are the rides? Get your answers here!

Moderator: illinois

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

East Coast Business* Trip

Post by johnny.ink » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Some Business, Mostly Monkey though :)

hey all, as I am planning this trip for work, I thought I'd run it past you guys, to see what you think, and check for certain things, such as if you think x is a good idea.

I am still looking at getting everything laid out, but the gist is that we will be leaving August 10th, and back August 19th.

Planning on:

Holiday World
Dorney Park
Six Flags Great Adventure
Six Flags New England
HersheyPark

Possibility:

Lake Compounce

I think this will be doable, but I am figuring it out now. One question I have at Dorney Park, would you recommend a Fast Lane. We are looking at being there on a Monday - we have never been there before.

When I have the itinerary done this weekend, I'll post if people are interested - and any questions I have.

Thanks as always

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Re: East Coast Business* Trip

Post by tribar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:49 pm

From what i hear Dorney is a park where lines are for the most part short

Also i'll give you a heads up that HP has bad operations. Nearly every coaster stacked every time or had one train operation. Also on every coaster they have one to two rows closed off for their skip the line system or handicapped riders (although on Fahrenheit if there were no one to claim these seats they let standby queue users use them)

Some of HP's queues have little to no shade. From what i remember it was Wild Mouse, Fahrenheit, SkyRush, and Sidewinder

Most people are going to the Hollow first (Comet, Sooperdooperlooper, SkyRush). I recommand hitting Fahrenheit first. When i went i rode Comet, Sooperdooperlooper and Great Bear before heading over to Fahrenheit and waited an hour with 2 train operatation. When i came back to SkyRush around 4ish i waited 10-15 mins and dodged the 2 1/2 hour wait it was when it opened. After Fahrenheit do Sidewinder, Stormrunner and Trailblazer which are in the same area. Then go to the back and do Lightning Racer, Wildcat, Wild Mouse and Roller Soaker if you want. Then check SkyRush's queue. If it's too long still than Comet and Sooperdooperlooper are adjacent to it and Great Bear is a little walk away.

Just a thought. Hope this helps. (BTW haven't been to anything else on your list so can't help you. Sorry :D )

dicegods
Over 48"

Post by dicegods » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Being from Harrisburg (15 min from hershey and an hour from Dorney, I'd say I have a bit of experience at those parks.

Dorney is cake. I was there on the 22nd (last Sunday) and ran through the place in about 2 hours. Everything was walk on. If you're planning on the water park, do that first. The lines at the water park will be much longer in the afternoon, and the lines for the coasters will still be really short (<15).

At hersheypark, do fahrenheit first. The load time is pretty good, but there is always a fairly long line. From there, you want to hit stormrunner. The line is hit or miss, it will short in the morning, but 5 or 45 later in the day. Agree with saving skyrush for last (there's no way in hell the 150 minutes is right, but it's definitely a shorter line later). That way at least you'll only be hobbling out to your car instead of all day through the park. ;-)

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm

dicegods wrote:Being from Harrisburg (15 min from hershey and an hour from Dorney, I'd say I have a bit of experience at those parks.

Dorney is cake. I was there on the 22nd (last Sunday) and ran through the place in about 2 hours. Everything was walk on. If you're planning on the water park, do that first. The lines at the water park will be much longer in the afternoon, and the lines for the coasters will still be really short (<15).
So no need for the Fast Lane at all for Dorney? We are planning on being there August 13th or 20th. And thanks for the info. We will be taking a ton of pictures so I smell some trip reports - 4 possibly to be exact :)

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Can't wait to see your TR's.
Life is short....have fun!

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:Can't wait to see your TR's.
I have a tendency to write a ton and be long winded about crap like this. So it could be good, or...

Hershey Park is out this time. Just too much parks, and not enough time.

We are hitting Holiday World Saturday the 18th, then Dorney Park the 20th, and then Six Flags Great Adventure Wednesday, and ending the trip with Six Flags New England Friday.

Take THAT business trip!

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Well, everything is set.

At Dorney I bought the ticket and meal deal, seems like a good deal (1 meal and 1 snack for $14 more). I also got the souvenir cup (as Draven and I collect them). They charged $10.59 for the cup. Do I have to pay more for free refills that day, or is it covered ala Six Flags for that one day?

Getting excited. Will take a lot of pictures and write up a TR for each park.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Anyone have recommendations at taking on Holiday World, Dorney Park, Great Adventure and New England? You know - like starting with Voyage at Holiday World, etc.

We have Fast Lane, and Platinum Flash Pass for the parks (except for Holiday World - where they have no program like that).

Also, anyone have some good places to eat by the parks? I know Yocco's Hot Dog place in Allentown, but any good places you recommend?

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm not an expert but as for hw I'd recommend u hit voyage early and if u want rerides wait till about noon or so. My experience has been that crowds seem to like the waterpark. I'd probally hit pilgrims plunge and then head towards ledgend and raven. Next I'd hit up the alamo as the nachos are pretty well priced and good. If you are feeling like doing some snapping hit the eagles but be careful as seasoned ride ops will frown on that but there are a few that seem to not care either way. I'd then hit the howler and liberty launch. If you are feeling brave try the new swings, if they are anything like sfstl then you'll enjoy them alot. If you get a chance hit us up with pics as i would love to see them. Haven't made it up to the park yet this year even though I'm an hour away!....have a great time.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Gump wrote:I'm not an expert but as for hw I'd recommend u hit voyage early and if u want rerides wait till about noon or so. My experience has been that crowds seem to like the waterpark. I'd probally hit pilgrims plunge and then head towards ledgend and raven. Next I'd hit up the alamo as the nachos are pretty well priced and good. If you are feeling like doing some snapping hit the eagles but be careful as seasoned ride ops will frown on that but there are a few that seem to not care either way. I'd then hit the howler and liberty launch. If you are feeling brave try the new swings, if they are anything like sfstl then you'll enjoy them alot. If you get a chance hit us up with pics as i would love to see them. Haven't made it up to the park yet this year even though I'm an hour away!....have a great time.
Absolutely Gump. we are takinga ton of pics. Thanks for the info. We hope to ride the 3 major roller coasters, the 2 water coasters and Pilgrim's Plunge. And then Voyage over and over and over :D

tribar
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by tribar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 am

Have Fun!!

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks Tribar. Thanks everyone, getting super excited about the trip. Leaving Friday at noon. Should be super fun!

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Made it to Holiday World safe and sound. Took tons of pics and some videos, and rode all the rides multiple times :)

Will post a full trip report later, but short bites.

Raven - 6 times, 2 night. Wow. During the day a good ride, but at night, OH MY GOD!

Legend - 4 times. Fun ride and has alot of fun airtime and some cool wind thrus around the water park and in general. Great ride.

Voyage - 4 times. Ride is epic. Hit Paul's Holy 1.2 seat for 2 rides, and did not disappoint. Seriously. This ride has it all.

Holiday World is a great park and my family will be coming back every year now.

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:49 am

:-D
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Dorney Park was awesome. We rode everything 10 -15 times and finished the night with 45 minutes of ERT on Hydra.

Draven and I were the only ones on the very back. We were a happy pair :)

Tomorrow is Great Adventure!