New at Canada's Wonderland

What's in planning, what's being built now, what's rumored.

Moderator: illinois

Johnlloyd
Kiddie Rider
Custom Title: Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

New at Canada's Wonderland

Post by Johnlloyd » Thu May 12, 2016 5:33 pm

This topic is dedicated to anything that is new at Canada's Wonderland currently and into the future. So, let me get this started!

New at Canada's Wonderland this year is Skyhawk and Flying Eagles! Skyhawk is a Gerstlauer Sky Roller and is the first to operate in North America. The second new addition is Flying Eagles, which is a Larson Flying Eagles located within Kidzville. Below are some photos that I have captured of the new attractions.

Here is Skyhawk on Season Pass Sneak Preview Night (SPSPN). It is located within Action Zone, beside Slingshot and across from Windseeker. Skyhawk stands at a height of 115 feet!

Here is a photo that my mom had taken of my twin brother (Scott) and I while we were getting ready to ride Skyhawk on SPSPN! You can see me beginning to test the wings out.

Here we are taking flight on Skyhawk!

Here is Skyhawk testing around 9:20am on Friday, May 6th.

Here is a close-up view of some visitors riding Skyhawk on Friday, May 6th.

Here's another shot of Skyhawk operating later in the day. This photo was taken nearby Splashworks.

Can you guess what this is?

That's correct! It's the all new Flying Eagles in Kidzville! (Sorry for the blurry photo!)

Here is a photo that my mom had captured of me while on Flying Eagles.

Skyhawk and Flying Eagles are amazing additions to Canada's Wonderland, especially for their 35th year! Skyhawk is really fun but, it is quite difficult to flip your seats. I've almost flipped my seat during the three times I've been on it but, the wind came up and pushed me in the other direction! In order to flip your seat, you must alternate your wings slowly and lean into the direction of the downward facing paddle. Until you flip your seat and continue to do so, you can then "lock" your wings in place and begin to do continuous barrel rolls! I look forward to riding it again!

As for Flying Eagles, it's a great family ride as it's fun to be able to swing your car from side to side by using the central paddle. I know that it's not intense like some of the older Flying Scooter rides out there but, it is still fun! This was my second Flying Scooter ride as my first was Dorney Park's new for 2015, Cedar Creek Flyers. I plan on giving more updates in the future so stay tuned! I hope you enjoyed the photos! 8)

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Re: New at Canada's Wonderland

Post by Spencerman » Fri May 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Those both look fantastic! I can't wait to see if more rides like Skyhawk find their way into the other parks. They look like a blast!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat May 14, 2016 9:29 pm

Awesome TR and great pics. Skyhawk looks really cool. I wonder if we are going to see those showing up at various Cedar Fair parks around the continent?
Life is short....have fun!

Johnlloyd
Kiddie Rider

Post by Johnlloyd » Mon May 16, 2016 6:43 am

Thanks for the kind compliments and feedback! I do think that we will be seeing more of these Gerstlauer Sky Rollers appearing across the Cedar Fair chain as they're a fairly compact ride and can fit practically anywhere. They can also be themed to anything even though Skyhawk is themed to the Royal Canadian Airforce. I've been on Skyhawk three times so far and I haven't fipped yet as it's been too windy whenever I've been on it. But, that being said, it does give me the urge to give it another try. Hopefully I'll get the seat to flip when I visit again this Wednesday! 8)

Johnlloyd
Kiddie Rider

Post by Johnlloyd » Wed May 18, 2016 7:09 pm

This is not necessarily new but, there were a few more horses on Antique Carousel re-painted during the off season. I thought I'd share this photo since I know Paul and his wife, Carrie have a love for antique carousels, especially well maintained ones. :smile:

Also, I would like to mention a few other things that are new within the park. The original park logo was added to the front of Thunder Run's train. Also, Kidzville had a slight re-theme where the Candy Factory is now known and re-themed as Maple Park Treehouse, Flavourator was re-themed and renamed as Sugar Shack, Chopper Chase was renamed Treetop Adventure, and a few games were re-themed and renamed to suit a more Canadian theme. I will be sure to post photos of those new additions and re-themes soon. 8)

Johnlloyd
Kiddie Rider

Post by Johnlloyd » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 pm

So, I had made my fourth visit of the season to Canada's Wonderland today. I was able to ride Skyhawk twice. During my first ride on Skyhawk, I was only able to flip upside down once. But, during my second ride I was able to flip upside down a total of eight times! Flipping upside down continuously while the ride spins in that direction is a really strange and weird feeling, that is almost surreal! Since I've mastered the movement of how to flip the seat on Skyhawk, I feel that I could flip the seat during most weather conditions as I've used to find that a problem before. Skyhawk is definitely a ride of practice for most! It took me eight rides to flip upside down once, and nine rides to flip upside down eight times during one ride duration! Below is a photo of my achievement but unfortunately the camera on my seat wasn't functioning properly. :-( But, at least the barrel roll counter was working! 8)