New Amusement park planned for Union Station in STL

What's in planning, what's being built now, what's rumored.

Moderator: illinois

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

New Amusement park planned for Union Station in STL

Post by Greg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:38 pm

In the 1980s, Union Station transformed into a mall of sorts with a lot of restaurants and bars, an outdoor concert venue, and other delights. For the past many years the place has been pretty much a ghost town. Today an announcement was made to turn Union Station into an amusement park. Here's a link.
Greg

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Re: New Amusement park planned for Union Station in STL

Post by Spencerman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Yeah, I read a different article on this not long ago today. I think that this is a good thing to do, as long as it's done correctly. I have been to the Union Station and expected something similar to Kansas City. However, it had a dead, empty feel to it. I hope this goes through!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:58 pm

I am totally in favor of this. Add a coaster and a bunch of really fun thrilling rides (S&S Swing, scrambler, log flume, falling star, flying carousel, drop ride) along with some good places to eat and drink and there will be a little fun in downtown StL!

BTW I say call the coaster "The Snake" after the character Snake Plisken from "Escape from New York" that was filmed at and around Union Station.
Life is short....have fun!

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm

If this plan went through, I wouldn't be surprised if they added a Hyper Coaster before SFStL lol! I kid, I kid!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:36 pm

I'd certainly book a room in Union Station with a coaster view.

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:35 pm

I was wondering everyone thoughts on this. Do you think this has the potential to take the thunder away from Six Flags? If the project is done correctly I think it could definitely have some serious potential.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:41 pm

I can't see a park crammed into Union Station (a fraction of SFStL's size) taking the thunder from SFStL or drawimg many people. It will be a nice addition to the marketplace that's all and maybe breathe some new life into a really cool existing location.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:28 am

If it goes through, it could be a great thing, not just for park junkies, but for the city. Judging from Paul's description, it seems that the current Union Station may be in an area that could use some love.

Houston's downtown was a ghost town on weekends for decades, as there were only office buildings down here. All the restaurants (save for the ones inside hotels) closed up just after lunch and didn't open on weekends at all.
Then they put in a basketball/concert arena. Putting it downtown was very controversial, as people said "why would I want to go downtown to a concert or a game, there's nothing else to do down there afterwards?"
Then the convention center opened next door. Then the baseball stadium. Suddenly there were people downtown at times outside business hours. Pubs began to spring up, then restaurants and nightclubs and then Houston put in a nice big greenspace adjacent to the convention center with a kid's area, a dog walk, two restaurants, outdoor art, bike trails, etc. Oh, and a stage for music acts to play while you picnic.

I live in EaDo (east downtown) and ten years ago when I got my place (an old warehouse converted to lofts) it was just about the only residential in the area. Now, ten years later, I'm surrounded by more warehouse lofts and new high-end townhouses that sell for twice what I paid for mine. There are more pubs, concert venues, jogging trails, a soccer stadium, Metro Rail stations, grocery stores, etc etc - and a pedestrian promenade was announced recently as well.

So props to StLouis. It may take a decade before things are really different in the Union Station area, but someone has to make the first move. I hope it works out.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 am

If all of Union Station is empty, wow, that is alot of space.

When I lived in STL for 6 months (Draven's mom is from St. Louis originally) I'd walk to Union for lunch (about 2001) from my office and it was usually pretty well packed.

It's not tall enough for huge coasters but a 100 foot twister would be fun. Hell, put a woodie indoors - I don't know if I have ever seen that :)

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Isn't The Underground in Iowa considered an indoor woodie?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Here is some more information on the redevelopment and amusement park at Union Station.

From the video with that article it looks like a custom Chance Big Dipper as they are using photos of the one at SFOG. They have a few kids rides, a ropes course, bumper cars and a 200 foot Ferris Wheel.

The plans look ok but honestly (and this is not the coaster nut in me talking) they need to go bigger in the thrill department as most of it looks a little family entertainment center-ish in order to get people excited and be more than just a mall with a few rides. A Gerstlauer Eurofighter either inside (preferred for us wanting a winter time ride) or under and through the train shed would do the trick.

What do you all think?

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Has anyone heard any new info about this?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:40 pm

With a large portion of this the government, even a local one I would expect a snails pace speed to get this done so nope I have not heard a peep.