Giga for Carowinds

What's in planning, what's being built now, what's rumored.

Moderator: illinois

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Giga for Carowinds

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 am

Carowinds is getting a $30M, 300ft gigacoaster.

No word yet on the manufacturer, but CW seems pretty happy with a pair of B&M monsters and Intimidator scored way higher than I-305 at the GTAs...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... jrnCq-9LCS

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Re: Giga for Carowinds

Post by DresdenOberst » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:33 pm

The GTA's are not the greatest barometer of ride quality. I observed several of their delegates at Dollywood last year and was able to discern that politics trump objectivity in the basis of their decisions. It is more of who hooks them up more with goodies and perks, than what is the superior product.

Having said that, I feel that I-305 and Intimidator are not comparable. I-305 has a fantastic layout that exerts the forces that I feel are necessary for a true thrillride. I am a major fan of Mindbender at SFOG and compare all other coasters to this classic in terms of force and feel. Goliath at SFOG is head over heels better than Intimidator at Carowinds. Afterburn (or the coaster formerly known as Top Gun) is far superior in ride quality than the unimaginative Intimidator.

This being said I hope that Carowinds gets their 300ft giant. The location that is being discussed as the station entrance has needed attention for years, as it always seemed to be a dead zone. I would like to see a Diver that takes advantage of the old railway station/bridge at the front of the park. http://carowindsearlyyears.com/train1.html the top picture shows the station with the old train that used to circle the early park. Checkout this page as well because it chronicles a redneck attempt at Disney replete with inferior Disney knockoff Stern wheeler and Monorail. http://carowindsearlyyears.com/monorail.html
http://carowindsearlyyears.com/sternwheeler.html
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:04 am

DresdenOberst wrote:The GTA's are not the greatest barometer of ride quality. I observed several of their delegates at Dollywood last year and was able to discern that politics trump objectivity in the basis of their decisions. It is more of who hooks them up more with goodies and perks, than what is the superior product.
...so you were able to not only [1] determine that the people you were observing were actual GTA voters and [2] discern that the people schmoozing them with perks knew they were GTA voters and were trying to woo them for votes, but also that [3] it worked?

I agree that the GTAs are a long way from being an indicator of which rides are the best, but that has almost everything to do with the way the votes are tabulated rather than some sort of "perks for votes" campaign. I've been a GTA voter since the beginning and I've never once been asked to vote for any particular ride, nor given any perks to influence my vote, nor been involved in any kind of "politics" whatsoever.

What's interesting, though, is that you used the term "superior product" instead of "best ride" - which will lead me to say that the GTAs might actually be the best indicator out there for that, even though it is still greatly flawed due to the vote tabulation. The GTA ballot has instructions that say you should take into account things in addition to the actual ride. In other words, not just how good the ride experience is, but also stuff like queue line management, placement in the park, theming, throughput, amount of downtime, reaction from the public, etc etc etc. It's a whole picture perspective from an industry point of view, not just an enthusiast response to G forces and speed and such.

Thus, a seriously badass ride can go without making the GTA list at all if it has low throughput, maintenance headaches, etc - while a rather dull, forceless B&M coaster that never breaks down, runs 1500 pph through the queue, and makes a spectacular visual statement in a park will rate better.

Add to that the ridiculous "more votes = better ranking" algorithm that doesn't account for the fact that rides in popular parks (like CP or SFMM) will automatically have more votes than rides in parks like Lagoon or Canobie because more people will have ridden them, and YES the results will be skewered and unfair.

...but that doesn't mean they were a result of "politics."

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:19 pm

I was there on the day that Dollywood was hosting the event. It was a light line day and I saw several reps from the Theme Park Industry in attendance. They were paying particular attention to specific guests. I engaged several of these people in conversation and they clearly stated that they were there for the GTA's. My observations were formed through these discussions and the results of their votes.

http://www.goldenticketawards.com/winne ... de-winners

I found it quite odd that Dollywood scored so high in several area's. I then read the Itinerary that the Delegates were invited to. Pay attention to the left column to see the various special events attendee's were treated to.

http://www.goldenticketawards.com/issue ... 012gta/#/3

I love Dollywood and visit it at least 3 times a year as it is my home park. I have visited this park from it's Rebel Rail Road origins and was very pleased at the results, but that does not mean I agreed or would place any weight to their endorsement. Having rode Wild Eagles contemporaries X-Flight is clearly a superior roller coaster in my opinion.

But back to the current discussion, I lived in Western NC from the time that Carowinds installed Vortex, till they relocated Stealth as the BORG Assimilator. This is great news for this maturing property and I will be there for it's opening no matter what the design. I just wish they would use that front bridge like they did for Afterburn. Carowinds has always been near the cutting edge in innovation, my family really enjoyed the Flying Super Saturator, and were let down by that fantastic concept's demise. It is my hope that they continue this tradition going forward.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

coasterchitchat
Kiddie Rider

Post by coasterchitchat » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 am

I got sent the media invite for the announcement of the Giga Coaster for Carowinds.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 am

I hope you have fun! That is awesome! Also, welcome to the forums!