Backwards Batman

What's in planning, what's being built now, what's rumored.

Moderator: illinois

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Backwards Batman

Post by Vonni » Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 pm

So what are your thoughts on Batman The Ride running backwards for the season at SFGAm?

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Re: Backwards Batman

Post by dare-to-fly » Sun May 05, 2013 12:19 am

I know there are a lot of backwards coaster fans out there. They'll enjoy it. I'd rather go forwards.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun May 05, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm not looking forward to going backwards on Batman as with all of that rides fast directional changes I could see it being a hurl machine. SFGAM might want to place a few sweepers with hoses near that ride. ;-)
Life is short....have fun!

dare-to-fly
Park Management

Post by dare-to-fly » Tue May 07, 2013 3:04 pm

That has to be the most epic way to handle that issue ever! Here's a funny thought - where did I clean up the most yack messes at Tornado? The queue - as in before you get on the ride. WTF??

Beast...another story. It seems like there it's a daily occurrence to have someone yack in the train. It happened often enough that it didn't phase us a bit.

SuperSonic333
Over 36"

Post by SuperSonic333 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 pm

I'll give u my thoughts tomorrow after I get back from Media Day. :)
-Rich AKA: Sonic

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Wed May 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Ew... I was thinking "When I'm in high school I want to work at the rides at my park!"
But after hearing you, dare-to-fly, I'm not so sure... :lol: :shock:

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

Post by illinois » Wed May 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:I'm not looking forward to going backwards on Batman as with all of that rides fast directional changes I could see it being a hurl machine. SFGAM might want to place a few sweepers with hoses near that ride. ;-)
That was exactly the first thing that I thought of when I heard they were doing the backwards Batman. I hope they have hoses, good water pressure, and people that know how to use them. Oh, and lots of nicely scented disinfectant. -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

SuperSonic333
Over 36"

Post by SuperSonic333 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 pm

I was on it and it was GREAT! I expected it to be much more intense but it wasn't that bad at all! It was amazing! I will ride it again for sure! :D
-Rich AKA: Sonic

dare-to-fly
Park Management

Post by dare-to-fly » Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Spencerman - Working in rides is actually a lot of fun. Like any job there are some undesirables, but overall it's a lot of fun. It really depends on which park you work as to how much fun it is. To give you an example, here are the two ways we handled vomit at the two parks I worked at.

The Beast:
1. Notice vomit.
2. Put people back in line and put all lap bars down.
3. Pull train forward partway out of station to be closer to the hose.
4. Pull hose out of closet and turn water on. Thoroughly spray out the train making sure all vomit is gone, and send train around empty.
5. Continue loading other trains, and when empty train comes back, spray out the seat with sanitizer and wipe down. Send empty one more time.
6. Load all trains normally from that point.

Tennessee Tornado:
1. Notice vomit and put all guests back in line.
2. If running two trains, empty both trains and bring the dirty one into the station.
3. Call ride into maintenance dispatch as 10-7. (Meaning ride is closed.) Record approval time on daily throughput sheet.
4. Get out dustpan, broom, plastic bag, gloves, kitty litter, and Clorox clean-up.
5. Sprinkle kitty litter in the train to "soak up" vomit, and spend the next ten minutes trying to get the kitty litter unstuck from the bottom of the train and into the dustpan with a bag in it.
6. Spray with Clorox clean-up and OMG you MUST wait at least ten minutes for it to "work."
7. Spray the now-dry surface with more Clorox clean-up and wipe clean several times.
8. Send the train empty to blow out kitty litter.
9. Call the ride in to maintenance dispatch as 10-8. (Meaning ride is open.) Record approval time on the daily throughput sheet.

Compare the two again if there is vomit on the floor.
Beast: Sprinkle with Voban and sweep up.
Tornado: Sprinkle with kitty litter and spend half an hour scraping kitty litter off the dock once thoroughly stuck to it.

It all depends on how good the park is and how well they handle things like that. :) Some it's a breeze, others it's a pain in the rear!! :)

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Thu May 16, 2013 7:31 pm

XD Thanks for the detailed instructions! Whoever came up with the kitty litter idea is smart. I wonder what it would be like at Adventureland, with all the "elders" around. :)

dare-to-fly
Park Management

Post by dare-to-fly » Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 am

I hope the smart comment was sarcasm. You spend half an hour scraping it up, whereas with voban, it takes a minute or two and smells better.

Adventureland could go either way. I'd be curious to know myself, but with so many manually operated brakes, I'm not going to lie, I'd be totally jealous!! :)

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri May 17, 2013 6:44 am

dare-to-fly wrote:Spencerman - Working in rides is actually a lot of fun. Like any job there are some undesirables, but overall it's a lot of fun. It really depends on which park you work as to how much fun it is. To give you an example, here are the two ways we handled vomit at the two parks I worked at.

The Beast:
1. Notice vomit.
2. Put people back in line and put all lap bars down.
3. Pull train forward partway out of station to be closer to the hose.
4. Pull hose out of closet and turn water on. Thoroughly spray out the train making sure all vomit is gone, and send train around empty.
5. Continue loading other trains, and when empty train comes back, spray out the seat with sanitizer and wipe down. Send empty one more time.
6. Load all trains normally from that point.

Tennessee Tornado:
1. Notice vomit and put all guests back in line.
2. If running two trains, empty both trains and bring the dirty one into the station.
3. Call ride into maintenance dispatch as 10-7. (Meaning ride is closed.) Record approval time on daily throughput sheet.
4. Get out dustpan, broom, plastic bag, gloves, kitty litter, and Clorox clean-up.
5. Sprinkle kitty litter in the train to "soak up" vomit, and spend the next ten minutes trying to get the kitty litter unstuck from the bottom of the train and into the dustpan with a bag in it.
6. Spray with Clorox clean-up and OMG you MUST wait at least ten minutes for it to "work."
7. Spray the now-dry surface with more Clorox clean-up and wipe clean several times.
8. Send the train empty to blow out kitty litter.
9. Call the ride in to maintenance dispatch as 10-8. (Meaning ride is open.) Record approval time on the daily throughput sheet.

Compare the two again if there is vomit on the floor.
Beast: Sprinkle with Voban and sweep up.
Tornado: Sprinkle with kitty litter and spend half an hour scraping kitty litter off the dock once thoroughly stuck to it.

It all depends on how good the park is and how well they handle things like that. :) Some it's a breeze, others it's a pain in the rear!! :)
Thank you for the detailed operating procedures for this nasty part of any ride ops job.
Life is short....have fun!

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 pm

I don't know, it seems like a more thorough way. But then you may have to sit on a whole bunch of crunchy stuff. :lol:

dare-to-fly
Park Management

Post by dare-to-fly » Sat May 18, 2013 2:12 pm

No believe me, KI's method is faster, easier, and cleaner.

Paul...you're welcome. The sarcasm is so good I'll have it for breakfast. Lol.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:48 am

Riding it 17 times during the media day I thought that it was not bad at all. It is forceful especially in the very back "front" row (row 7 - back of train with view) but going backwards isn;t any more headbangery then going forwards. It's a fun ride, but not gonna lie, really looking forward to Viper Backwards in a month.

As for puke machine - I haven't seen any so far in the 5 visits this season Draven and I went.

I was asking the park president Hank and he said opening weekend there were no records of puking (they were curious as well). The only knock I'll give the ride - it is NOT very re-ridable.

I wouldn't marathon on it for sure, I felt queasy after 4 times in a row whereas forwards I've done 10 no prob in the back.