Ed Heart On Bluegrass Boardwalk

What's in planning, what's being built now, what's rumored.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Ed Heart On Bluegrass Boardwalk

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey everyone;

Here's an interesting interview with Ed Heart who opened Kentucky Kingdom and was attempting to reopen the park about the Koch Family's attempt to reopen KK as Bluegrass Boardwalk.

Here's an interesting bit from the article:
Many, many people have cited precisely the trend you’re talking about as precisely why the Kochs want to come in and take control of the park.

“It’s good business. They’re not the villains. They’re not the villains. They’re not doing anything wrong. They’re protecting their business in Indiana. To do that, apparently, they hope essentially to have a local water park with some rides. But it would not be smart for them to build out a huge theme park.

This is not a bad business move. To spend the money on the legal side to apply for …

I’m not going to assign motive to them.

Well, I think you just did ….

I’m happy to tell you on the record, in my judgment, it’s a defensive business move to protect their park in Indiana, and it’s smart. Otherwise, you’re investing money in both facilities and all you’re doing is dividing attendance you already have.
So I guess I'm not the only one who is concerned the park is just going to be turned into a big water park with a few rides.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Re: Ed Heart On Bluegrass Boardwalk

Post by CoasterDemon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:30 am

Patience patience patience. Good things come to those who wait! Slow and steady wins the race! Look at how awesome Holiday World is.

This guy sounds more like he's a Negative Nancy who will be embarassed when the Koch's run a successful park that he couldn't. And further exposing corporate greed while they are at it I suspect (not intentionally of course).

OrangeWhip
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OrangeWhip » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14 am

I'm not sure who had the bigger chip on their shoulder: the reporter or Ed Hart.

I'm optimistic about Bluegrass Boardwalk. Water parks draw in locals which helps with attendance. Thrill rides make people travel. Some combination of both would be best. It will take time though.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:43 am

Well obviously both have a chip on their shoulders. I'm just thinking what I would do in the same place and first off keeping someone from going in there who would compete would be a goal. Then having both parks would you really want to hobble your golden goose by investing a bunch and building second park down the road? I could easily see them making the determination that the market area is not big enough for two parks and that a big chunk of the rides, especially coasters will be cost prohibitive to bring back to life. If it ends up as a amusement park or a water park I'm sure it will be fantastic but my gut says water right now.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:09 pm

The more i hear, I'm leaning towards water as well. Probably with some flats but no major coasters. Maybe some years down the road once they test the waters and see what if any effect it has on HW.