What's New?

What's in planning, what's being built now, what's rumored.

Moderator: illinois

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:30 pm

SES wrote:I'm waiting for Italian Job Turbo Coaster to open at PKD. SES :o
Don't get your hopes up too much.

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:17 pm

Excellent site, maybe the addition of LIM's to maintain speed regardless of circumstance would help.

Imagine the awesome possibilities of such a ride.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:48 pm

I also heard that the forces on a suspended going through the corkscrew due to the high rate of speed needed to keep the cars from flopping over were a tad bit high and that was a second reason that it was never done full scale.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:55 pm

Did you guys check out that site?
greetz
Hepta

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:20 pm

Hepta wrote:Did you guys check out that site?
Yeah we checked it out. I have seen a lot of that stuff before in various places. The Arrow Suspended footage is from Vincent Price's coaster movie "America Screams" - He was a coaster enthusiast.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:44 pm

Yeah, the suspended video is my favorite. They have some B&M stuff up now.
greetz
Hepta

gabiyu101
Kiddie Rider
Custom Title: gabby is a big coaster freak! =D

Re: What's New?

Post by gabiyu101 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 pm

heyy people r telling me they r gonna take down kingda ka....?? lighting is aparently bad for its engines but wasnt it supposed to open in agust!..... grrr i wanted to ride it. i only rode it once last yearrr nott faairrr i dont want it down...

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi and welcome...

First thing don't belive all rumors. Kingda Ka is safe and has reopened. Of course lightning is bad for any coaster heck the one we have here at Conneaut was struck back in 2006 and toasted that motor but it did reopen (Well closed for now)

Any who welcome to -G

gabiyu101
Kiddie Rider
Custom Title: gabby is a big coaster freak! =D

Post by gabiyu101 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:00 pm

so kingda ka has reopened?... then...yay! i thought it was still closed.
n thxx

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 pm

No problem

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 am

I have thought about how I would approach a redesign of The Suspended swinging Coaster issue that prevents this type from achieving Inversions. I think that
S & S could develop a Locking connection at the Bogeys that would allow them to safely traverse all the wild elements that this type has been precluded from. With all the advancements in Magnetics, I think that this could be accomplished with Electromagnetic Locks. But seeing that they are the pioneers in Compressed air Technology, I think an air actuated locking cylinder could be developed that would seamlessly allow this ride to switch between The Free Swing mode and The Looping capable Fixed Carriage. I would Install a fixed air storage tank on the train that would regenerate its storage capacity through a friction powered compressor. When the trains brakes are applied in the station I would have an automatic connection to the Train as to ensure proper Air pressure and to also return air to the trains new air system's. I would also redesign the train to allow for a floorless option.

This new system could allow for even more flexibility and possibly more thrills by changing the natural Gravitational Forces by forcing the train to follow an unnatural tack and reversing the G forces that are being applied at the current configuration. Imagine the Negative G's that could be achieved if you could make the train swing in an opposite direction. than it would naturally follow. For Example, if the train turns left it will swing right. However the thrills to be had if when the train were to turn Left and the carriage was forced to swing left. Instead of experiencing the current Positive G's you would experience Negative G's. This would definitely boost the rides excitement factor.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:37 pm

There's a much simpler solution to having inversions on a suspended swinger, but it would require that the inversion be a simple vertical loop (probably) and it would have to occur right at the beginning of the ride - or at least after a lift hill.

The cars had poles that stuck out the bottom and those had a single wheel on each one. There was a trough that those poles fit into while the train went up the lift to keep the cars from swinging as they climbed. Simply continue that trough over the lift, down a hill, and through an inversion before stopping the trough and letting the cars swing freely.

On the other hand, while it still wouldn't allow for inversions, I think the thrill factor of those rides could be greatly enhanced by doubling or even tripling the length of the shaft that connects the seats to the part that runs the rails. They were, what, maybe five feet long? Make them fifteen feet long. Put a zig-zag in the layout to swing the cars full arc and you're talking about a quick reverse swing with a 30ft diameter!

Of course, you'd have to space those cars out a LOT, otherwise they'd smack into each other at the tops of hills (like how you can stick your feet out and touch the seats in front of you at the top of the lift on inverteds).