What's New?

What's in planning, what's being built now, what's rumored.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

What's New?

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:43 pm

Hey All;

I know I'm not the only person drooling over what's being added to all of the amusement parks across the nation for this summer and curious as to what's next on the horizon. So feel free to post what news & rumors you might have here.

Have Fun

Paul Drabek

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:18 am

Tatsu at Magic Mountain is going to be a very nice addition. All though there is another Flying roller coaster in China that is being built. This coaster is also trying to compete with Tatsu.
Go Raven!

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:14 am

How can it be competing? They are in different geographic locations. They might have the same target audience, but how many Americans would chose to go to China to go to an amusement park. Maybe to keep the Chinese in China, but I still have a hard time believing that, because many people do not travel to other ccountries just to visit amusement parks. Disney is an exception to this general rule. Just because it is the same type of ride, does not mean that it is a competition.
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Um. Correction. Actually in stats. The flyes is supposed to have more inversions.

Also another coaster is the new 4-D coaster in Japan. It is also supposed to have more elements. 8)
Go Raven!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm curious as to what S&S if going to do with that 4d in Japan. I do hope that they have all of the kinks worked out and it is a huge success so another park buys one. Preferably somewhere in the US a lot closer to me than SFMM.

Have Fun

Paul

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 pm

I hope S&S will revist the suspended swinging coaster aka Top Gun (PKI). Maybe they could collaberate with Wieland Schwarzkopf and create an inverting coaster of this type.

Just imagine the flexibility of such a device with barrel rolls or vertical loops. Maybe incoporate their air thrust into one of these, for the true flying sensation only achieved by the free motion that the swinging would provide.

On a side note, I would like to see S&S revisit their steel catalog, acquired from Arrow. It is a shame that almost all steelies are foreign made when they hold the keys to the kingdom having invented tubular steel and all.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:48 pm

I really don't think S&S would do that. Thou it would be cool if the people in the east get a 4-D coaster like at CP or another major park like that. X is a very good ride and it would be good for the people in the east coast to experience what I do while on the ride. I have ridden that thing like 60 times. :D
Go Raven!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:16 pm

I love Arrow's Suspended coasters but even if S&S revisited it the whole thing comes down to will a park buy one? Without something drastically new added to the design unfortunately and a park willing to sign on the dotted line we won't be seeing any of them soon.

Have Fun

Paul

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 pm

I highly doubt they would go ahead and build another suspended.
Go Raven!

TheKlockster
Ride Operator

Post by TheKlockster » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:25 am

I am sure they did get all the kinks worked out with that 4-th dimension coaster in Japan.

Also - yeah they should build more suspended coasters. Vekoma even makes a train for the Arrow Suspended Coasters that is floorless. As far as inversions though - the only kind of inversions they could do would be corkscrews. They are about the only kind that could keep the car from flopping to one side or the other side during the maneuver.

rburtz
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by rburtz » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:08 am

A suspended car could make it through a constant force loop. The only real requirement would be a reletively straight lead in and about a constant 3g loop. Nothing too fancy, but it could be done. I actually think the corkscrew would be more difficult because the car would want to flop from one side to the other just past the top of the inversion.

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:13 pm

Yeah going back to the 4-D in Japan you can see a webcam they have of the ride construction. It is very cool. They have the vertical drop complete on it as of now. On the arrow suspended....I cannot see an inversion for it at all even with the loop. :(
Go Raven!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:05 pm

rburtz wrote:A suspended car could make it through a constant force loop. The only real requirement would be a reletively straight lead in and about a constant 3g loop. Nothing too fancy, but it could be done. I actually think the corkscrew would be more difficult because the car would want to flop from one side to the other just past the top of the inversion.
If you have ever seen Vincent Price's "America Screams"coaster video there is footage of a scale model Arrow Suspended that had a corkscrew on it. I think they scrapped it because if for some reason the train wasn't going fast enough the cars might flop over during the loop injuring riders.

Have Fun

Paul

SES
Kiddie Rider

Post by SES » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:46 pm

I'm waiting for Italian Job Turbo Coaster to open at PKD. SES :o

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:09 pm

Theres some site with all these rare coaster things, including the prototype suspended coaster, where you can see they were expirimenting with track types, and a video or the model suspended with a corkscrew, I forgot it though, ill try to find it again.
ahh, found it:http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/rrcr/
greetz
Hepta