Skywalker 13 New England trip

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Skywalker 13 New England trip

Post by skywalker13 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:04 pm

It's been awhile since I have posted something and this is one of my favorite coaster sites so I decided to add to it. I wish that I had pictures to add to my trip report though. I was taking a business trip to Boston for a job interview and decided since they were paying for the trip to visit a couple of parks that I had never been to. I got to Boston early in the morning and decided to head straight to Six Flags New England. I was excited to finally get a chance to ride a RMC coaster so Wicked Cyclone would be my first. SFNE is in a residential area and you coasters as you are driving up. I saw a sign for parking so I paid $3 and walked to the park.

The park wasn't too crowded and the first ride I rode was Goliath because of the capacity. I'm not really a fan of bommerangs but this one was a bit different. It is pretty unnerving to hang 200 feet in the air. I actually thought that it was a lot smoother than the typical bommerang as well.

Next I took a walk over to Flashback since it was there and it didn't have a wait. I'm a bit of a credit whore so I rode it just for the credit but it left me with a massive headache.

My next ride was Wicked Cyclone. The ride kept breaking down and eventually the line was long. Luckily I was near the front so when it started running again I didn't have to wait to long. I ended up waiting over an hour total and it was worth the wait. This coaster far exceeded my expectations and it felt like it was nonstop action. I wish that I could have ridden it again but I was pressed for time and I wanted to ride everything.

Next I decided to take on Bizarro since Wicked Cyclone was still fresh on my mind so that I could compare. It's really easy to see why Bizarro is a top 5 coaster. That first drop takes your breath away and the scenery is pretty nice also. I still can't decided which coaster I like the best. The wait here wasn't as bad and I would add this to my personal top 10.

Once I was done with Bizarro I made my way over to Thunderbolt. It's not a bad coaster but it added to my headache. It has a few moments of airtime. Overall a solid ride and I'm glad that I got to ride it before they probably replace it in a few years.

My next ride was Batman. It is probably my least favorite B&M floorless. I think I may be getting the hang of this coaster enthusiastist thing because I was underwhelmed with it. It wasn't a bad ride but when comparing it to Dominator at KD or Kraken at Sea World it doesn't quite measure up.

My last ride before I left was Mind Eraser. I've ridden a couple of these clones now and sometimes I hate myself for riding them even though I know what the outcome will be. I do enjoy sitting under the track but the Vekoma SLC's don't compare to the smoothness of the B&M inverts.

Overall I think SFNE is a solid park and they are maybe another really good coaster away from being top notch. I think I spent about 3 hours in the park and got a chance to ride most of the coasters. I took the 45 minute drive down to Bristol, Conn to visit Lake Compounce. Initially I was wondering if I was headed in the right direction but I eventually found the park.

My first ride was on Boulder Dash. I had heard so much positive stuff about it that I couldn't wait to ride it. When i first got on I was wondering where was the first big drop because most of the coaster is hidden in the mountains. It was a big surprise and I loved the pacing and surprises of not really knowing what was coming.

Next I rode Zoomerang. Yeah I know I love punishment.

Finally Wildcat was my final ride. There was no wait so I decided to take the back section in the middle seat. I usually try not to sit on the wheels on wooden coasters. I think the ride is a little smoother. The first drop wasn't too bad and the ride had a few moments of airtime.

Lake Compounce is a nice quaint park that I can't wait to visit again. It had a nice family small town feel to it. They are building a new coaster so I may go back to visit this summer if I get the chance. Oh yeah I got the job so SFNE is now my new home park.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Skywalker 13 New England trip

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Hey Skywalker thanks for the TR and for considering Negative-G one of your favorite sites.

I totally agree with you on SFNE needing something...not sure which...to really be a top tier park. At the least they do have a solid lineup. I am curious how SFNE's rides manager is going to handle SFSTL when he takes over in February.

Compounce is a awesome little park. I think I like it a little better than SFNE as Boulder Dash is pure heaven.

Thanks for the TR. I look forward to more and feel free to join us in chat sometime.

Have fun!

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Post by skywalker13 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:42 am

I will definitely check the chat out sometime this week. Hopefully SFSTL will get something new as well. I haven't had a chance to make it out there but if they get something new and exciting I think it will force my hand.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:57 pm

skywalker13 wrote:I will definitely check the chat out sometime this week. Hopefully SFSTL will get something new as well. I haven't had a chance to make it out there but if they get something new and exciting I think it will force my hand.
My gut says 2018 as the new Park President is taking over in February and I could see 2017 being another "replace old ride" year.
Life is short....have fun!